Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Pale Ale malt  (Read 7672 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Briess Pale Ale malt
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 06:48:09 am »
Of the two vittles vaults I use for bulk base malt one is always full of Briess brewers malt. It is what I use most consistently and I've never had an issue with any strange flavors.
The issue very well could be elsewhere. I hope so (if I can pinpoint and fix it).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2021, 06:48:36 am »
Agree - I wouldn't call it strange. Maybe one dimensional.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 06:50:42 am »
Of the two vittles vaults I use for bulk base malt one is always full of Briess brewers malt. It is what I use most consistently and I've never had an issue with any strange flavors.
The issue very well could be elsewhere. I hope so (if I can pinpoint and fix it).

Is it possible you are overthinking the water? Our water is actually pretty good here. I'll brew with it with only minor adjustments for most styles. Like I said somewhere else for pale beers I might dilute it 50/50 with RO or distilled and add some calcium chloride or sulphate and a bit of lactic.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 09:31:22 am »
Me? Overthink something?  Never! 

Offline rburrelli

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 10:09:10 am »
I think brewers have to overthink to be good brewers.  8)
11:11 Brewing
“Brewing with Attention and Intention.”

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 10:21:50 am »

I don't think so..... ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 11:21:36 am »

I don't think so..... ;)

I think that the overthinking happens as the brewer develops an understanding of brewing and starts to apply that understanding it to his system and process...then at some point it becomes like riding a bike (maybe blindfolded) on a well worn, fairly straight path.... until the next big thing comes along and the overthinking comes up again.  For me lately, that has been re-designing my recipes with some of the new base malts that are available.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 12:16:42 pm »
i am trying to no longer label my brews as "bitter/ESB/bock" etc, even stout/porter. it gets ridiculous when i think more about what style the beer should be labelled as and resultantly adjust ingredients to support that.

im thinking of a rough system that goes like "yeast/roast=1,0/Target OG-FG/IBU/Colour" as a name ie.

s05/0/52-10/40/5           

or maybe that is overthinking this as well?

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2021, 01:24:33 pm »
i am trying to no longer label my brews as "bitter/ESB/bock" etc, even stout/porter. it gets ridiculous when i think more about what style the beer should be labelled as and resultantly adjust ingredients to support that.

im thinking of a rough system that goes like "yeast/roast=1,0/Target OG-FG/IBU/Colour" as a name ie.

s05/0/52-10/40/5           

I like it - kinda like a Dewey Decimal System for homebrew...a lot of data in a short, easy to process sequence.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2021, 02:17:10 pm »

s05/0/52-10/40/5           

I like it - kinda like a Dewey Decimal System for homebrew...a lot of data in a short, easy to process sequence.

i think the key thing is i was being really stupid and finnicky about "ok its a ESB no its an amber ale, no its an ESB" when... really these names are meaningless.

could make numbers for the most common yeasts i use as well or shorten them = 05/04/58/189/530/ etc so its purely numerical

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2021, 02:44:59 pm »
... when... really these names are meaningless.

The BJCP styles are just a way for judges to speak a common language with contestants.

The language is adopted by non-contestants to aid in communication.

If you’re not entering a contest your beer really doesn’t have to fit in a box.

Offline BrewBama

Briess Pale Ale malt
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2021, 02:48:49 pm »

Is it possible you are overthinking the water? Our water is actually pretty good here. I'll brew with it with only minor adjustments for most styles. Like I said somewhere else for pale beers I might dilute it 50/50 with RO or distilled and add some calcium chloride or sulphate and a bit of lactic.

I figure if I am buying half the water I might as well get it all so I don’t have to treat for chlorine.

Bicarbonate computed = alkalinity * 61/50:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 04:32:34 pm by BrewBama »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2021, 02:55:12 pm »

s05/0/52-10/40/5           

This is the best friggin idea I ever heard!   :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tommymorris

Briess Pale Ale malt
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2021, 03:03:15 pm »

s05/0/52-10/40/5           

i think the key thing is i was being really stupid and finnicky about "ok its a ESB no its an amber ale, no its an ESB" when... really these names are meaningless.

could make numbers for the most common yeasts i use as well or shorten them = 05/04/58/189/530/ etc so its purely numerical
I never really revisit recipes older than a few months. I have a base recipe written for several styles. I use those as a starting place but rarely do the exact same thing twice. My brew names are mostly meaningless. Often I just name them the style name with no indicator of the fact that this might be the 43rd APA, etc. Sometimes I name by style and a unique characteristic; like “APA Mosaic + Simcoe”.

That said, your system is interesting. What I think you might miss is info about hop flavor and aroma.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 03:44:06 pm by tommymorris »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 03:12:25 pm »
If anything, I might add the date of brewing and date of racking, just because I would otherwise have to go back to a main log for that (I have anywhere between a half dozen and a dozen or more beers on tap at any given time....but again, I like the Beery Decimal system you came up with and might start to implement it going forward!  Well done, indeed.