Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess Pale Ale malt  (Read 7670 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Briess Pale Ale malt
« on: February 15, 2021, 07:51:48 am »
Does anyone else get this kinda weird flavor from Briess Pale Ale malt?  There’s something about my beers lately that I don’t like and I can’t put my finger on it.

I thought it was Northern Brewer hops (I’ve used them in a few recipes lately), then I eliminated those and still had the undesirable taste.   

So, I thought it might be Victory malt because I’ve used that in the last cpl recipes, then I eliminated that and still had the undesirable taste.

So, I thought it might be my brewhaus liquor build so I simplified that and still had the undesirable taste.

Now, I am looking at the Briess Pale Ale malt I’ve been using lately. Haven’t used it in a long time until the last few beers.

I am going to replace the Pale Ale malt with Pale malt in my next recipe to see if that’s it or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Briess Pale Ale malt
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 07:57:21 am »
I haven't used the Pale Ale for a long time.

Northern Brewer hops can give a slightly minty flavor, does that come to mind. I've detected that flavor in Perle Hops, which are a daughter of Northern Brewer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 08:01:21 am »
I get almost a "sugar cookie" dough from their Pale Ale malt.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:12:36 am »
Does anyone else get this kinda weird flavor from Briess Pale Ale malt?  There’s something about my beers lately that I don’t like and I can’t put my finger on it.

I thought it was Northern Brewer hops (I’ve used them in a few recipes lately), then I eliminated those and still had the undesirable taste.   

So, I thought it might be Victory malt because I’ve used that in the last cpl recipes, then I eliminated that and still had the undesirable taste.

So, I thought it might be my brewhaus liquor build so I simplified that and still had the undesirable taste.

Now, I am looking at the Briess Pale Ale malt I’ve been using lately. Haven’t used it in a long time until the last few beers.

I am going to replace the Pale Ale malt with Pale malt in my next recipe to see if that’s it or not.

Can you describe the flavor?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 08:23:18 am »
That’s the real problem. I can’t put my finger on it. I’ve gone through the list of usual suspects and nothing really applies. This kinda bland weird thing going on.

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 09:51:12 am »
That’s the real problem. I can’t put my finger on it. I’ve gone through the list of usual suspects and nothing really applies. This kinda bland weird thing going on. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know Briess makes some great products, I generally have no problem with and mostly use their specialty malts. But, their base malts in general seem very bland to me personally. I have used their Pale Ale malt but I do not recall anything off about it in particular other than lack of character and flavor.

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 06:37:31 pm »
I use Briess pale ale malt on a regular basis, mostly as the base for my west coast IPAs. Haven't noticed anything off about it recently. But bland is definitely the operative word for this malt, IMO.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 07:21:05 pm »
Briess uses water from their local municipality and its been softened and it has a high sodium content.  I'm not sure that their malting would impart significant sodium to the finished malt, but its possible.  I can't imagine that it would be objectionable...maybe slightly sweeter.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BrewBama

Briess Pale Ale malt
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 04:25:17 pm »
That’s the real problem. I can’t put my finger on it. I’ve gone through the list of usual suspects and nothing really applies. This kinda bland weird thing going on.

I think I may have found the issue. The recipe I used for this beer(Brown Ale) may not have had enough sodium and/or chloride in the boil. I added some NaCl to the glass and it turns the so-so beer into a pretty good pint.

Like Martin says, let your pallet determine final mineral additions. I think the generic profile got me in the ballpark but I needed a bit more to take me into my personal zone.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:23:24 pm by BrewBama »

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 05:56:46 pm »
For me personally, it is any maltster other than Briess.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:56:11 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 06:37:16 pm »
Briess uses water from their local municipality and its been softened and it has a high sodium content.  I'm not sure that their malting would impart significant sodium to the finished malt, but its possible.  I can't imagine that it would be objectionable...maybe slightly sweeter.

I live 7.3 miles from Manitowoc Public Utilities.  I know the engineers who work there.  I have toured MPU as well as the Briess malting plant a few blocks north of it.  They use state of the art microfiltration and RO.  Manitowoc is well known around here for having the cleanest dang water anywhere.  High sodium, it is not.  There is historical data at the bottom of the linked page, and I can look up current data on the Wisconsin DNR website if anyone is interested.

https://www.rackers.org/local-water-quality/

This ain't a water thing.  Not even a Briess thing, if you ask me.  They make great malt.  But I suppose I might be a little biased.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 06:40:28 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 07:00:24 pm »
For me,personally, it is any maltster other than Briess.

why is that?

i remember claims a long time ago that briess used 6row for several kilned and crystal malts and that was a complaint people had. but it seemed like they realized this and were explicitly stating "2row crystal malt" and things.

im neutral about them at the moment.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 07:22:57 pm »
...  Not even a Briess thing, if you ask me.  They make great malt.  But I suppose I might be a little biased.

Cheers.

I want to use Briess. Hopefully, I can eliminate the issue with a simple brewhaus liquor adjustment.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2021, 04:39:43 am »
I like Briess - I especially like some of their specialty malts. Like I said, their Pale Ale malt has a cookie like character. I don't personally love it.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 06:00:02 am »
Of the two vittles vaults I use for bulk base malt one is always full of Briess brewers malt. It is what I use most consistently and I've never had an issue with any strange flavors.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato