Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?  (Read 11192 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2021, 05:09:31 pm »
I'm still drinking it and it's getting better.  ;)

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2021, 05:16:33 pm »
I'm still drinking it and it's getting better.  ;)

Ni need to tell the family that’s coming to town that this ever existed.  ;D

My American Wheat will be brewed at the end of May. I love this beer when the weather gets good and warm.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2021, 05:20:41 pm »

My American Wheat will be brewed at the end of May. I love this beer when the weather gets good and warm.
Was just thinking this... Sorry fam!  :D

I hear you... depending on the recipe, it can be such a great warm weather beer with a squeeze of lemon in it or just as it is.  Let's all make one, shall we?  ;)
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2021, 08:19:13 am »

I hear you... depending on the recipe, it can be such a great warm weather beer with a squeeze of lemon in it or just as it is.  Let's all make one, shall we?  ;)

So...were you able to save them any?

I'll be brewing my AW this weekend.  For a change of pace, I'm kicking around the idea of a small, late (10min?) hop addition...maybe Mouteka or Lemondrop.  Not sure yet, might be a game time decision.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2021, 09:10:09 am »

So...were you able to save them any?

I'll be brewing my AW this weekend.  For a change of pace, I'm kicking around the idea of a small, late (10min?) hop addition...maybe Mouteka or Lemondrop.  Not sure yet, might be a game time decision.
Funny you ask this.  My one sister who was here typically drinks wimpy beer like Michelob Ultra or something.  I told her I had some commercial beer and she said she wanted to drink my beer.  The American Wheat was on tap 1 and she saw it (it's an old tap handle I made in the shape of a surfboard and the name is WIPEOUT WHEAT).  She saw that and said, "No wheat beer.  I don't want wheat beer".  I have no idea what she thought it would be (hefeweizen?) but I told her it was "unassuming" (there's that word again) and she had a sample.  DELICIOUS!  She ended up drinking it every time she went for beer.  She may have had wine one day when she was here but every time she had beer, it was this one.  I should make another one but I only have lager yeast running now.  Cheers and good luck with your version.  The late hop thing is why homebrewing is so great... you can do what you want!!  :D

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:17:08 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2021, 12:16:48 pm »
Mine kicked before I really got a chance to take a photo. Brewing another one Thursday, but this time a 5 gallon batch, none of that starter batch business.
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #111 on: May 18, 2021, 01:57:19 pm »
Mine kicked before I really got a chance to take a photo. Brewing another one Thursday, but this time a 5 gallon batch, none of that starter batch business.
There you go.  Crank up the output!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #112 on: May 18, 2021, 03:23:56 pm »
There you go.  Crank up the output!  :D
I think it was on tap for 2 weeks at most and that was holding back. I shared some of it. 2.5 gallon batches isn't practical for everything.
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2021, 04:21:56 pm »
Right now...

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2021, 06:08:45 pm »
Right now...

Looks great, but I have to ask, is that a goldfish in your glass?   :o
 ;)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2021, 11:51:53 am »
Very nice and clear, Ken. I prefer a little haze on mine. Haze on beers that are supposed to be hazy is good! Clear when they're not supposed to be bothers me. I've gotten hefeweizens before that were clear and that is just off putting to me. If I knew it was a krystalweizen I wouldn't have ordered it...
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2021, 12:00:53 pm »
Very nice and clear, Ken. I prefer a little haze on mine. Haze on beers that are supposed to be hazy is good! Clear when they're not supposed to be bothers me. I've gotten hefeweizens before that were clear and that is just off putting to me. If I knew it was a krystalweizen I wouldn't have ordered it...
That's part of the weirdness because I don't know what an American Wheat should look like.  It's a beer that is made with wheat in the grist which does not necessarily mean "cloudy".  I agree that if you order a hefeweizen and it's clear then something is weird.  Many commercial beers that are dubbed as a "wheat ale" are cloudy and maybe that's just what brewers envision.  In the end this might just be a "blonde ale" that has wheat as a high percentage of the grist.  Factor in that the hops are neutral (Loral in my case) and that there is only one hop addition at the start of the boil and the IBUs are only 24 and maybe it's really just a wimpy, warm-weather beer.  Temps here are supposed to be close to 90° with humidity later this week so this keg might get a workout.  :D  Cheers Beerheads. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2021, 06:44:21 pm »
Well, Ken, I brewed another batch of my American (German) Wheat today. 1.052 OG, similar recipe I posted before with 50% Best Malz wheat 25% Bohemian Pilsner, 25% Vienna, 1oz Mt. Hood at 60min FWH, and .6oz Mt. Hood at 15min, Wy1007 fermented at 64F. Low splash brew method ;) Should be a good one!
Jesse

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2021, 07:14:30 pm »
Well, Ken, I brewed another batch of my American (German) Wheat today. 1.052 OG, similar recipe I posted before with 50% Best Malz wheat 25% Bohemian Pilsner, 25% Vienna, 1oz Mt. Hood at 60min FWH, and .6oz Mt. Hood at 15min, Wy1007 fermented at 64F. Low splash brew method ;) Should be a good one!

Sounds so good!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2021, 08:08:16 pm »

Sounds so good!
I agree.  That's going to be very "unassuming".  :D  ;)
Ken from Chicago.