Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?  (Read 11182 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: What do you envision when you hear the term "American Wheat"?
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2021, 01:30:09 pm »
I love Mt. Hood and always have it available.  It can absolutely be used for German styles and I've seen it in Alt and Kolsch recipes in the past.  There has been a lot of talk of how fresh but improper hops are better than stale and proper hops.  The Saaz pellets for your Czech Pilsner are not very fresh?  Use those fresh Sterling instead.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2021, 10:45:22 am »
Kegged my "American" wheat yesterday. Really, it's more of a German wheat, but either way, it tasted like everything I ever imagine the style to taste like. It's a quaffable 4.4% abv.
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2021, 08:06:02 pm »
Kegged my "American" wheat yesterday. Really, it's more of a German wheat, but either way, it tasted like everything I ever imagine the style to taste like. It's a quaffable 4.4% abv.
Mmm, that sounds lovely.  I had a partial keg (amber lager) in my on-deck fridge (long story) and I just put that back into one of the draft fridges tonight but after that the American Wheat will be on tap.  Beersk... post a pic of that beer when you can!   
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2021, 09:26:54 am »
Mmm, that sounds lovely.  I had a partial keg (amber lager) in my on-deck fridge (long story) and I just put that back into one of the draft fridges tonight but after that the American Wheat will be on tap.  Beersk... post a pic of that beer when you can!   
Will do (if I can figure out how to post pictures here. So far it seems one has to find an image host to post and can't upload directly from the computer).
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2021, 11:04:22 am »
Will do (if I can figure out how to post pictures here. So far it seems one has to find an image host to post and can't upload directly from the computer).
Right.  Upload it to a hosting site, copy the address of the hosted image and then put image tags around it.  I'm sure there are multiple ways to do it.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2021, 12:11:21 pm »
I love Mt. Hood and always have it available.  It can absolutely be used for German styles and I've seen it in Alt and Kolsch recipes in the past.  There has been a lot of talk of how fresh but improper hops are better than stale and proper hops.  The Saaz pellets for your Czech Pilsner are not very fresh?  Use those fresh Sterling instead.  :P

It blows my mind that Mt. Hood and Liberty arent just as popular as Saaz and Hmf. they are every bit as good and almost always fresher and cheaper for us north american brewers

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2021, 01:13:05 pm »

It blows my mind that Mt. Hood and Liberty arent just as popular as Saaz and Hmf. they are every bit as good and almost always fresher and cheaper for us north american brewers
This is exactly the reason why I use them exclusively for my continental style beers.
Jesse

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2021, 02:37:43 pm »

I think that a lot of brewers (me included) thought that they needed to use the hops that the recipe called for or else the beer would not be what was expected.  I had a keg that was maybe 30% full that I put back into my on-deck fridge (long story) and put it back in the draft fridge last night.  This is an amber lager where I added a good amount of late Edelweiss.  I tapped a glass and took a sip and those delicious, fresh hops just screamed at me.  They are so delicious.  We should probably expect a different character from (for example) a Czech Pilsner made with Sterling or Mt. Hood or Liberty but there should be good, fresh hop character which is what we want especially when so many Euro hops come over here lacking in oomph.  I have been much more of a hop snob since getting really nice hops from Hop Heaven and also YVH. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2021, 07:35:30 pm »
I love Mt. Hood and always have it available.  It can absolutely be used for German styles and I've seen it in Alt and Kolsch recipes in the past.  There has been a lot of talk of how fresh but improper hops are better than stale and proper hops.  The Saaz pellets for your Czech Pilsner are not very fresh?  Use those fresh Sterling instead. 

I think that a lot of brewers (me included) thought that they needed to use the hops that the recipe called for or else the beer would not be what was expected.  I had a keg that was maybe 30% full that I put back into my on-deck fridge (long story) and put it back in the draft fridge last night.  This is an amber lager where I added a good amount of late Edelweiss.  I tapped a glass and took a sip and those delicious, fresh hops just screamed at me.  They are so delicious.  We should probably expect a different character from (for example) a Czech Pilsner made with Sterling or Mt. Hood or Liberty but there should be good, fresh hop character which is what we want especially when so many Euro hops come over here lacking in oomph.  I have been much more of a hop snob since getting really nice hops from Hop Heaven and also YVH.
Yep, I decided many years ago that I'd rather use good quality Sterling rather than roll the dice on imports any longer. Is it 100% authentic, no. Does it make a better beer? Most of the time it sure does.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2021, 03:59:31 pm »
Yep, I decided many years ago that I'd rather use good quality Sterling rather than roll the dice on imports any longer. Is it 100% authentic, no. Does it make a better beer? Most of the time it sure does.
I was thinking about this during my brewday today.  I made a helles and used some good Hallertau that I got from YVH.  Could I have used Edelweiss or any of the other hops I have from Ted?  Absolutely.  But I didn't.  I might make the same beer and use Edelweiss and see how it comes out.  We know The Czechs and Germans use the hops that they can get readily... they use their fresh hops.  We should use our fresh hops.  Are their hops distinct and unique and thought of as world-class hops all over the globe?  Yes.  But some fresh Liberty, Sterling, US-Grown Saaz, Edelweiss, Mt. Hood, etc. that are in really good shape can create that same character, IMO.  Two weeks ago I made an "American Lager"... Full Pint Pilsner, Bonlander Munich, flaked corn and Edelweiss hops... all American.  I did use 2124 so that's the end of the American angle but it should come out really nicely.  I have a fresh pound of Edelweiss and they will get some use here this summer. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2021, 02:45:49 pm »
Okay guys, this beer is on tap here now.  It came out really nice.  Remember that I added a glug of some "homemade sinamar" that I made by cold-steeping some midnight wheat so that's where the color is coming from.  Otherwise the balance is nice with the Loral hops and the BRY-97 did exactly what I hoped...

Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2021, 03:00:23 pm »
Okay guys, this beer is on tap here now.  It came out really nice.  Remember that I added a glug of some "homemade sinamar" that I made by cold-steeping some midnight wheat so that's where the color is coming from.  Otherwise the balance is nice with the Loral hops and the BRY-97 did exactly what I hoped...

Looks awesome.  Perfect choice of drinkware for this unassuming beverage.  All that’s missing is the cornhole.  And the band.  :)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2021, 03:39:20 pm »
Looks awesome.  Perfect choice of drinkware for this unassuming beverage.  All that’s missing is the cornhole.  And the band.  :)
That's exactly what it is... unassuming.  I should make a tap handle for it... Unassuming American Wheat:D  I am painting the armoire that the beer is sitting on so again with the plastic cup.  I have some family coming into town and "unassuming beer" is what they like so I'll probably switch to another one and save this one for them.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2021, 04:50:57 pm »
That's exactly what it is... unassuming.  I should make a tap handle for it... Unassuming American Wheat:D  I am painting the armoire that the beer is sitting on so again with the plastic cup.  I have some family coming into town and "unassuming beer" is what they like so I'll probably switch to another one and save this one for them.  Cheers.

Ken, you have inspired me.  I pretty much stopped brewing with wheat 20 years ago after convincing myself I didn't like it.  But I've got both red and white wheat from Mecca Grade sitting in the garage, and by God, I'm gonna make an Unassuming Wheat!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2021, 04:57:24 pm »

Ken, you have inspired me.  I pretty much stopped brewing with wheat 20 years ago after convincing myself I didn't like it.  But I've got both red and white wheat from Mecca Grade sitting in the garage, and by God, I'm gonna make an Unassuming Wheat!
Mmm, I like the sound of that.  If you have participated in this thread you know that "American Wheat" means different things to different people so I wonder what it means to you.  I like the idea of it being simple, straightforward and refreshing.  One hop addition of a neutral hop, a neutral yeast, etc.  But I feel like it could have many additions of fruity hops and whatever yeast you want.  Do tell us what you plan to brew.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago.