Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New (to me) Briess malts...  (Read 2735 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New (to me) Briess malts...
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 12:52:54 pm »
I'm seeing that Briess Full Pint isn't on Briess' website any longer. Wonder if they stopped producing it? It's also been out of stock at Ritebrew for some time now.
That’s a shame. I liked it. (Sunset Hydroponics has it in stock).

Mecca Grade was using it for their products. Maybe they still do.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 01:09:43 pm »
I'm seeing that Briess Full Pint isn't on Briess' website any longer. Wonder if they stopped producing it? It's also been out of stock at Ritebrew for some time now.

It seems like a product that didn’t get much traction in the marketplace. Very few retailers carried it. Very few homebrewers seemed to know about it.

There’s a lot choice out there for pale malt. I’m sure it is tough to get noticed and build a following.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 01:22:34 pm »
I hope to try the briess synergy malt soon. I'd love to find a domestic replacement for Barke Pilsner. So far all teh ones I've tried havent cut it.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 01:25:15 pm »
I hope to try the briess synergy malt soon. I'd love to find a domestic replacement for Barke Pilsner. So far all teh ones I've tried havent cut it.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 02:12:42 pm »

Let us know your thoughts on the Synergy Select Pils from Briess.  I, too, would love to find a readily available and comparable substitute for Weyermann Barke Pils or Best Malz Pils.  Those two seem to provide the best flavor, but I haven't yet used Mecca Grade (I buy my bulk grains from my LHBS and he seems to get large quantities of the malts I use.  I hope to soon try Mecca Grade, even if I just order a one batch size.  I am presently working through a sack of Rahr North Star Pils, which seems pretty good for domestic pils....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 01:18:06 pm »

Let us know your thoughts on the Synergy Select Pils from Briess.  I, too, would love to find a readily available and comparable substitute for Weyermann Barke Pils or Best Malz Pils.  Those two seem to provide the best flavor, but I haven't yet used Mecca Grade (I buy my bulk grains from my LHBS and he seems to get large quantities of the malts I use.  I hope to soon try Mecca Grade, even if I just order a one batch size.  I am presently working through a sack of Rahr North Star Pils, which seems pretty good for domestic pils....
Best Malz is my first choice, Barke my second. I've tried Synergy Select before, it was good, but I didn't like it as much as Barke. It also produced a hazy wort for me, which was odd. Every single beer I made with it was always hazy going into the fermenter. It didn't affect the clarity of the finished beer thankfully.
Jesse

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2021, 05:17:23 am »
Northern Brewer had Briess full pint malt. I got Synergy select to clear using gelatin

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2021, 07:36:49 am »
So this sack of Briess Full Pint that I have now is a collector's item?  :P  I think I have used it to make two beers so far so I still have a lot left but neither of those beers are on tap here yet so I haven't gotten a feel for how good it is.  If Briess releases a "new product" called Briess PULL FINT we can assume it's all the leftover full pint.   :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 07:38:59 am by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2021, 01:28:32 pm »
So this sack of Briess Full Pint that I have now is a collector's item?  :P  I think I have used it to make two beers so far so I still have a lot left but neither of those beers are on tap here yet so I haven't gotten a feel for how good it is.  If Briess releases a "new product" called Briess PULL FINT we can assume it's all the leftover full pint.   :D
I see it this way, Grandpa Briess had a dear old friend with a silo of full pint he needed to unload. Briess bought the lot,  malted, and sold it. When that friend had more full pint in the future Briess will be there for them.

In other words, I am wondering if they only get full pint at a certain time of year or maybe even intermittently.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 01:45:04 pm »
So this sack of Briess Full Pint that I have now is a collector's item?  :P  I think I have used it to make two beers so far so I still have a lot left but neither of those beers are on tap here yet sso I haven't gotten a feel for how good it is.  If Briess releases a "new product" called Briess PULL FINT we can assume it's all the leftover full pint.   :D
I see it this way, Grandpa Briess had a dear old friend with a silo of full pint he needed to unload. Briess bought the lot,  malted, and sold it. When that friend had more full pint in the future Briess will be there for them.

In other words, I am wondering if they only get full pint at a certain time of year or maybe even intermittently.

All the malting barley I'm familiar with gets harvested in late summer
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2021, 02:48:13 pm »
Yeah, maybe they just ran out of Full Pint and more is coming later in the year.

So I used it in an "American Lager" with a bit of Vienna and flaked corn and then I used it in a dark lager.  This weekend I have a very clean & pale warm-weather beer planned and originally I was going to use Best Malz but I might use the Briess Full Pint so I can get a better feel for it.  Neither of the first two beers is on tap yet. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2021, 03:27:51 pm »
Yeah, maybe they just ran out of Full Pint and more is coming later in the year.

So I used it in an "American Lager" with a bit of Vienna and flaked corn and then I used it in a dark lager.  This weekend I have a very clean & pale warm-weather beer planned and originally I was going to use Best Malz but I might use the Briess Full Pint so I can get a better feel for it.  Neither of the first two beers is on tap yet.
I used it twice in APAs. I couldn’t tell a difference from Great Western 2-row. Both have great extraction and any taste was probably buried by hops in my case. They both were good base but nothing specific to say about them.

Offline BrewBama

New (to me) Briess malts...
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2021, 04:05:37 pm »
Great Western used to offer Full Pint. Not sure if they still do or not.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 07:15:00 am by BrewBama »

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2021, 02:14:19 pm »

I contacted Rite Brew and they said Briess is no longer producing Full Pint  :-[

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2021, 03:38:05 pm »
I contacted Rite Brew and they said Briess is no longer producing Full Pint  :-[
Wow, so my sack of Briess Full Pint really *IS* a collector's item!  :D
Ken from Chicago.