Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Light Beer  (Read 8866 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Brewing Light Beer
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2021, 02:02:57 pm »
I am taking a wait and see approach to the Monk Fruit. I have no idea how much to add and may dose by the pint if I think it needs it.

I am adjusting lifestyle as well. Once I hit my target weight I will allow carbs to increase to ~75-100 per day as a kind of maintenance and see how that does. If I start gaining I can cut back a bit to find the sweet spot. I chose an arbitrary 50 carbs upper limit for the time being but rarely bump up against it. I have been taking it easy on the beer because all mine on tap are full carb beers. I had a couple at the Memorial Day family cookout and a couple watching fireworks for Independence Day. Other than that it’s been a half pint and sometimes a pint here and there.  Not the 2-3 pints I used to have daily. I’ll probably not go back to that but will increase beer as football kicks off.

My old analog scales lied to me so we got new digital scales a few weeks ago. On the day I got the new scales I was 241. Yesterday I was 226. Not breaking any world records but a steady weight loss that I am pleased with. My clothes fit better now but at 6’2” I think another 15-16 lbs should do it. I want to get back to my drivers license weight. I should be there by the end of Aug-mid Sep-ish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's great, glad you are making progress, slow and steady does it. When I reach 200 the pizza oven gets fired up.
I ended up using 35 drops, about a 1/2 teaspoon, in 5g but would worry about brand variations. It's also something that too much of would wreck the brew so I don't blame you for not using it yet. I do encourage dosing a pint to see the difference though. I originally dose water and found 1 drop in 1 pint of water barely perceptible and went with 35 instead of 40 to be safe.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2021, 03:07:06 pm »
Lol, I'm 6'1, weight range high 220's to low 230's, peaked at 245 one winter.
Was lifting weights 3-4 times a week for over 2 years steady, until virus hit.

They say once you go past 200, you never go back.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 03:14:17 pm by Fire Rooster »

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2021, 05:22:17 pm »

I’m 6’2 and weighed between 204 and 208 for the last two decades. Then after I broke my wrist, I dropped 10 pounds or so.  I think it’s because I had to stop excersizing - no push-ups - and I lost muscle mass, but I don’t know.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2021, 08:07:01 pm »

I’m 6’2 and weighed between 204 and 208 for the last two decades. Then after I broke my wrist, I dropped 10 pounds or so.  I think it’s because I had to stop excersizing - no push-ups - and I lost muscle mass, but I don’t know.
Was it your beer drinking wrist? Maybe you couldn’t drink beer?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2021, 08:29:10 pm »

I’m ambeerdextrous
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2021, 05:12:33 am »

I’m ambeerdextrous
Nice work guys! ;D

Fire Rooster

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2021, 12:59:34 pm »
Currently I'm on a sea food diet, and results are as expected.
If I see food I eat it.  Might try another diet if I get the ambition.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2021, 09:05:36 am »
Currently I'm on a sea food diet, and results are as expected.
If I see food I eat it.  Might try another diet if I get the ambition.
I've been on the "clean your plate" diet since I was a kid. I must have saved thousands of starving children in Ethiopia by now if what my parents/grandparents told me was true...
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2021, 11:49:27 am »
Back to the topic, I just brewed a super session Lichtbier pils with OG at 1.029.  Wondering how it will turn out - it is my lightest starting gravity for a beer.  I’ll try to remember to report back.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline BrewBama

Brewing Light Beer
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2021, 06:11:02 am »
Well, my first venture into using enzymes to lower my FG didn’t work so well. I brewed a tried and true APA recipe that I’ve brewed many times to eliminate that variable. To that I added my two beano caps in the mash and two when I pitched yeast. …but my FG only got to 1.007. Admittedly, I started a bit high with an OG of 1.051.

I believe I am going to order some enzymes from the HomeBrew store vs using the beano for my next brew. …and start with a lower OG.

This is the one plan to use: Brutzyme by CellarScience is an enzymatic blend used to produce dry beers. Amyloglucosidase, alpha amylase, and pullulanase enable the hydrolysis of starch and dextrins into fermentable sugars that yeast can ferment. Perfect for making Brut IPAs or any other style where a low gravity, dry finish is desired.

Use:
Add 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons at the beginning of fermentation. Brutzyme can be added directly to the fermenter at the same time yeast is pitched. Works best at a temperature range between 50-68°F and a pH of 4-5.5.

Additional Notes:
Brutzyme is a mix of amyloglucosidase, a-amylase, pullulanase and other dextrinases capable of breaking down the α-1,4 and α-1,6 glycosidic linkages of starch, dextrins and oligosaccharides completely into fermentable sugars. Brutzyme is extremely affective for making very dry beers, especially Brut IPAs. Store at temperatures under 70°F.

The recommended shelf life is 12 months from the date the package is opened.

GMO Free

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 06:26:28 am by BrewBama »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2021, 09:37:16 am »
Reporting back on my super session pils - 1.029 to 1.007, with no added enzymes, just yeast nutrient and Diamond Lager yeast (rehydrated 2 packets - probably overkill?  I'll use the collected yeast on my next lager batch.)  Anyway, the beer fermented out fully in 5 days at 15psi (58F held steady through fermentation, then allowed to rise to 62F), I racked at day 8 by closed transfer to keg using a floating dip-tube set up (Clear Draft).  It was super clear in the transfer line and is now kegged.  A small sample drawn tasted pretty decent for a light lager at 8 days, but I am waiting a few more days to better sample this 2.9% beer once it fully settles out any carry over of yeast or trub from the transfer.

As I have stated before on these light lagers - you can chase a buzz, but you can't really catch one with these guys. (I always have other beers on tap for that!)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2021, 12:01:44 pm »
Reporting back on my super session pils - 1.029 to 1.007, with no added enzymes, just yeast nutrient and Diamond Lager yeast (rehydrated 2 packets - probably overkill?  I'll use the collected yeast on my next lager batch.)  Anyway, the beer fermented out fully in 5 days at 15psi (58F held steady through fermentation, then allowed to rise to 62F), I racked at day 8 by closed transfer to keg using a floating dip-tube set up (Clear Draft).  It was super clear in the transfer line and is now kegged.  A small sample drawn tasted pretty decent for a light lager at 8 days, but I am waiting a few more days to better sample this 2.9% beer once it fully settles out any carry over of yeast or trub from the transfer.

As I have stated before on these light lagers - you can chase a buzz, but you can't really catch one with these guys. (I always have other beers on tap for that!)
In addition to the lower calories I am enjoying the ability to have a few, especially in the summer, and not be impaired or feel crappy in the morning.

Offline BrewBama

Brewing Light Beer
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2021, 08:53:22 pm »
I ordered some Brutzyme (described above) from More Beer today for an upcoming Blonde Ale. My goal is to get to “great taste, less filling”.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2021, 10:48:40 am »
I ordered some Brutzyme (described above) from More Beer today for an upcoming Blonde Ale. My goal is to get to “great taste, less filling”.

👍

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2021, 03:54:53 pm »
My little experiment worked. I  went from 1.042 to 1.003. Still 8 carbs per 12 oz beer but a lot better than pre-light beer brewing.  I overshot OG by 4 points so if I get the better efficiency under control on a future brew I’ll be happy with the Brutzyme outcome.

Of course the proof is in the pint. Let it cold crash/carb/condition and we’ll see what it tastes like.

Based on the hydro sample I may be dry hopping for a bit more flavor. That’s an easy fix next time around — just add more hops. Based on the “Survivables” brief I have a cpl plans there as well