Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing Light Beer  (Read 8867 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Brewing Light Beer
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2021, 11:12:08 am »
The Band, The Weight?  Wait a minute, Chester....
Very good, and I just realized the clue was auto corrected (which I just fixed) . The rye malt is called danko. The stanza with Chester and his dog was sung by Rick Danko, at least in the Last Waltz version. And I think “ Jack, my dog” is funny out of context, especially with a missing comma.
Yes, it brings to mind the chocolate eclair scene from Van Wilder...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2021, 09:12:52 am »
Y-7408 may be a good choice for well-attenuated beer.  I am on my third batch with the culture.  It took 1.066 and 1.070 all-malt (mostly TF Golden Promise) worts down to 1.010 and 1.012, respectively.  Neither beer tastes thin.  It is currently fermenting a big blonde ale, so I am curious as to what it will do with that wort.  If the goal is 80%+ attenuation without tasting thin, this culture may do the trick when mashing in the low 150s.  Ballantine XXX was not a big beer. Y-7408 is available periodically as ECY-10. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2021, 06:20:52 pm »
So I was reviewing G Strong’s Porter recipe and noticed something I hadn’t before. At the bottom he describes a ‘session’ version of his Porter. I quickly adjusted my recipe to the lower ABV recipe which gets me down to 12 carbs. Not exactly low carb but better that the 6% or 7%+ versions.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/gordon-strong-american-porter/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2021, 05:12:38 am »
A comment on another thread about overnight mashing in an anvil inspired me to try it in hopes of making a very fermentable wort. I mashed from 11 pm to 7:oo am at 148, ramping up to 160 around 6:30 a.m. while drinking my first cup of coffee.

I know it's only been a couple weeks but any update? Maybe I missed it? Curious how things turned out.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2021, 05:35:41 am »
A comment on another thread about overnight mashing in an anvil inspired me to try it in hopes of making a very fermentable wort. I mashed from 11 pm to 7:oo am at 148, ramping up to 160 around 6:30 a.m. while drinking my first cup of coffee.

I know it's only been a couple weeks but any update? Maybe I missed it? Curious how things turned out.
I do believe it worked well. I am kegging this morning. The night before last the beer had dropped clear and the FG was 1.002. That was with enzymes but a similar brew at a similar OG with enzymes only dropped to 1.006 so I would say that was a pretty fermentable wort. I also got a few more points on OG than expected. And I had wort in a fermenter with yeast and everything cleaned up and put away by 10:00 in the morning. Not only is this a good way to increase efficiency and fermentability but it can be very convenient. Next I will mash in in the morning, go to work, and finish when I get home.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 05:40:01 am by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

Brewing Light Beer
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2021, 05:58:35 am »
My Czech Lager ended up at 1.005. Not bad for not using enzymes yet. …just mash temp, table sugar, and lower OG.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 06:01:11 am by BrewBama »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2021, 06:17:14 am »
My Czech Lager ended up at 1.005. Not bad for not using enzymes yet. …just mash temp, table sugar, and lower OG.

That is good. What was your mash temp and OG?

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2021, 12:20:16 pm »
I used 148*F for 30 min then 150*F 30 min. OG was 1.037 for 4.2% ABV. It’s lagering now so we’ll see…

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2021, 12:47:44 pm »
I used 148*F for 30 min then 150*F 30 min. OG was 1.037 for 4.2% ABV. It’s lagering now so we’ll see…

Any thoughts on if that 2F change really made a difference compared to just holding one or the other?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 12:55:38 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2021, 01:07:19 pm »
No. I was shooting for 150* but forgot to turn on the PID controller so my mash ended up at 148*F for about 30 min. When I realized what was happening I pulled my head out and it hit 150*F for the duration. Oh well. I can’t imagine 2*F matters that much (if at all).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2021, 03:43:48 pm »
No. I was shooting for 150* but forgot to turn on the PID controller so my mash ended up at 148*F for about 30 min. When I realized what was happening I pulled my head out and it hit 150*F for the duration. Oh well. I can’t imagine 2*F matters that much (if at all).

Yeah, neither can I.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2021, 04:38:38 am »
I do believe it worked well. I am kegging this morning. The night before last the beer had dropped clear and the FG was 1.002. ...

Thanks for the update! I want to try this now! I'm kind of curious how much energy it would use keeping the mash at temp all night but I have a watt-a-meter I could hook up. Hopefully not too bad since the Foundry has that double wall.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2021, 05:57:18 am »
I do believe it worked well. I am kegging this morning. The night before last the beer had dropped clear and the FG was 1.002. ...

Thanks for the update! I want to try this now! I'm kind of curious how much energy it would use keeping the mash at temp all night but I have a watt-a-meter I could hook up. Hopefully not too bad since the Foundry has that double wall.
I don’t know how much energy but I will mention that I don’t recirculate and put the power on 50%. I actually would have finished my brew day even earlier if I had remembered to put the power back up to 100% for the boil instead of realizing half an hour later. :'(

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2021, 05:59:13 am »

Sounds good. A Czech lager and a saison will be my next two light beer experiments. An English bitter is in the fermenter now.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2021, 07:31:33 pm »
I am drinking my IPA that I kegged yesterday. It will be a few days at least before it hits it’s stride: it needs to carb a bit more, clear up, and I tend to find the first few pulls of an IPA to have a sharper bitterness than the rest of the keg.
The stats as I remember are 3.9% abv, 98 calories and 4 carbs per 12 oz. Very happy with that.
What I am most happy with though is the body of this beer. It really drinks like a “regular “ beer. My previous light/low carb brew had a pretty thin body as did commercial beers that have similar stats. I was prepared to accept this and was actually ok with it for summer beers as they are refreshing.
There are multiple factors so I can’t say for certain why this drinks like a 5 or 6 percent IPA and it’s probably a combination. I used a pretty high percentage, almost 30%, of rye malt. I also used wy1450, known for leaving a full mouthfeel.
The new to me thing is that I used monk fruit, in liquid form, at kegging. I think that was probably the biggest factor. I dosed some water to get a sense of the amount and ended up adding a half teaspoon to five gallons. It was just enough to not actually taste sweet (I can’t taste it at all) but give the mouthfeel that balances the hops. I am very sensitive to sweet and don’t at all like it where I don’t think it belongs so I was very dubious about this working but it really does and I am very excited about future brews.