Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Governing Committee candidate Matt Bolling  (Read 666 times)

Offline wmbolling

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
Hi AHA forum members - I'm running for the AHA Governing Committee, and would appreciate a vote from anyone in this group who is willing to help me.

My platform for election is based on two pillars:
- Better support for retailers through regular shop-focused content from the AHA
- Expansion of the AHA's support of homebrew clubs

You can read my full candidate statement here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/matt-bolling/

And you can cast your vote here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/

Voting closes on March 31.

I am happy to answer any questions you may have for me about my candidate statement, or my thoughts on the AHA or the hobby in general in the comments section here.

Thanks so much!

Matt Bolling
BJCP ID: D1766
Matt Bolling

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Governing Committee candidate Matt Bolling
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 09:55:46 am »
Matt, I'll ask you the same question I ask all the candidates. What do you think is the biggest issue facing homebrewers today and what can the AHA/GC do about it? 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 12:12:43 pm »
Ask you anything?

Is it "buck naked" or "butt naked"?  I never know.  :D

Sorry, I couldn't help it. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline wmbolling

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2022, 01:48:47 pm »
Matt, I'll ask you the same question I ask all the candidates. What do you think is the biggest issue facing homebrewers today and what can the AHA/GC do about it?

Thanks for the question, Denny! I'm happy to give some thoughts.

I think that when we talk about the 'biggest issue facing homebrewers today', it can be very different based on location. We (AHA members) tend to think of homebrewing here in the US - but the hobby is worldwide. There are growing regions of the world where people are interested in getting in to the hobby, but they don't have access to the right equipment or ingredients. Though the AHA is the "American" Homebrewers Association, the truth is that there are no other national homebrewing organizations quite as successful as the AHA outside of the US - so people in other parts of the world often try to emulate what the AHA is doing with mixed success.

I think the AHA has a real opportunity here to help grow the hobby internationally. The GC might not have the power to get fresh malt or hops into underserved countries - but the GC does have the ability to facilitate a sort of 'sister homebrew club' program, (for lack of a better term). It could be sort of like most US cities have a 'sister' city internationally, and there are programs built out to connect their citizens (student exchange programs, public art gifts, etc). Homebrew 'sister clubs' could do that on a much smaller scale. It would need some more input from the whole GC, but I think it would be a great structure for the AHA to rely on it's members to grow the hobby internationally.

Of course, there are a lot of other factors that are challenging to homebrewers like rapidly increasing ingredients prices, and the declining number of locally-owned homebrew shops. However, the GC's ability to impact both of those things is hard to measure. There is not much that can be done by an elected group of 15 homebrewers to combat the change of economic factors that make up this hobby... and I think that having the experience as an AHA staff member for many years gave me a great insight into truly understanding what the GC can control, and what is simply beyond their influence.

Matt Bolling

Offline wmbolling

• Global Moderator
  • Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 01:49:56 pm »
Ask you anything?

We use the nomenclature "stark naked" in our household... And with 2 kiddos under 3yrs old, you can bet that we use that phrase a lot! :D
Matt Bolling

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 05:13:34 pm »
Ask you anything?

In the same vein- What is the nature of love?

But serious, thank you for throwing your hat in the ring!