Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sierra Nevada  (Read 2902 times)

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
Sierra Nevada
« on: April 14, 2022, 05:44:16 pm »
I have a few minutes to kill before I go to work and I was poking around looking for other beer clones of beers I like.  I was always a fan of Sierra Nevada's pale ale, so I thought I would check that out.  Much to my surprise, they actually have the recipe including mash and sparge schedule on their website.  Damn, that is cool!!!!   OK, so with a renewed enthusiasm, I think maybe I am going to give a pale ale a shot this week as well as my Elysian Space Dust clone.  Sierra Nevada also has the recipe for their Torpedo IPA.  I might go grab a six pack of that and give it a go.  If I like it, that might make the list as well.  I always figured the beer companies, like Sierra Nevada and Russian River, would be very hush hush on their recipes and what they use.  I also have an email to Bear Republic to see what they will give me on their Racer 5 to do an all grain version of that.  I need to break in my Gas One kettle and new outdoor burner, so as long as the rain holds out, stay tuned for more in the "Adventures and Misadventures of RedRocker."  LOL.  Be safe all. 

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Sierra Nevada
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 06:23:31 pm »
Don't get your hopes up. It takes a lot more than the recipe to clone a commercial beer. Many experienced homebrewers have tried to clone SNPA, some giving up after several unsuccessful attempts and some still trying. The recipe is a great starting point for the style, so you're likely to brew a nice beer with it.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 07:43:20 pm »
I have a few minutes to kill before I go to work and I was poking around looking for other beer clones of beers I like.  I was always a fan of Sierra Nevada's pale ale, so I thought I would check that out.  Much to my surprise, they actually have the recipe including mash and sparge schedule on their website.  Damn, that is cool!!!!   OK, so with a renewed enthusiasm, I think maybe I am going to give a pale ale a shot this week as well as my Elysian Space Dust clone.  Sierra Nevada also has the recipe for their Torpedo IPA.  I might go grab a six pack of that and give it a go.  If I like it, that might make the list as well.  I always figured the beer companies, like Sierra Nevada and Russian River, would be very hush hush on their recipes and what they use.  I also have an email to Bear Republic to see what they will give me on their Racer 5 to do an all grain version of that.  I need to break in my Gas One kettle and new outdoor burner, so as long as the rain holds out, stay tuned for more in the "Adventures and Misadventures of RedRocker."  LOL.  Be safe all.

yup, its always a cool feeling to get an idea of a confirmed grist for a beer you like. but yes, as said cloning it is a whole other challenge. knowing details about a beer you want to make definitely helps you out in getting closer to recreating it though. good luck. im sure there is a lot of SNPA homebrewing advice out there.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 07:59:48 pm »
What they are saying is fact. The clone recipe we used for a commercial beer was not even close. The beer was and is very good, but it is not a "clone" of the beer in the recipe. As Denny said, there is more to a beer than just a recipe.
Your beer will be great. Good luck and have fun.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 08:04:41 pm »
I like Torpedo, and when I first started brewing I tried to clone it, along with other beers I liked. After a while I gave up trying to create clones, and now I just make beers that I like. I have made some fantastic IPAs, but never one that is exactly like Torpedo or Space Dust. So what? The beers were great on their own. If I want a Torpedo I know where to get one.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 08:27:23 pm »
Thanks to all who replied.  I just thought it was pretty cool of them to actually put the ingredients down and amounts for each.  Will it be the same?  I am guessing not by what I am reading, but what the hell.  I am going to give it a try and see where I end up.  If it is a good beer, that's all I care about.  Once again, thanks to all who replied.  RR

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2022, 08:35:40 pm »
Thanks to all who replied.  I just thought it was pretty cool of them to actually put the ingredients down and amounts for each.  Will it be the same?  I am guessing not by what I am reading, but what the hell.  I am going to give it a try and see where I end up.  If it is a good beer, that's all I care about.  Once again, thanks to all who replied.  RR
I’ve brewed the SNPA recipe from their website. My beer was not the same as actual SNPA. But, it was definitely good.

I agree it is awesome they publish those recipes. They are a great place to start. Try them with different hops to experiment.

Offline BrewBama

Sierra Nevada
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2022, 06:10:12 am »
If you like published recipes, several other breweries are pretty cool about sharing as well. Avery lists a few, Brewdawg prints a book, Bell’s and others. They really do make great beers but it also reinforces the concepts used in recipe development because you can see what they’re doing.

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/diy-dog

https://www.averybrewing.com/beers/ellie-s-brown-ale

https://www.averybrewing.com/beers/ipa

https://www.averybrewing.com/beers/the-maharaja

https://www.averybrewing.com/beers/the-reverend

https://www.averybrewing.com/beers/the-kaiser

https://www.averybrewing.com/beers/old-jubiliation-ale

https://www.averybrewing.com/beers/hog-heaven

https://bellsbeer.com/homebrew-central/tips-tricks-and-bells-clone-recipes-for-homebrewing/

Unlike a homebrewer’s recipe, in a professional recipe you’ll see most grain bills exercise restraint.  A base malt or combination of base malts (Pale, Pils, Munich, Vienna,…), if warranted a special malt (Melatonin, Honey, Victory,…) and/or an adjunct (corn, rye, oats,…), maybe a ‘C’ malt or two (Cara-, Crystal, Caramel,..), possibly a roast (choc/Carafa, midnight wheat, roast barley,…), maybe a sugar (Demerara, lactose, invert,…).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 07:28:57 am by BrewBama »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2022, 06:45:46 am »
If you want published recipes, from professional craft breweries, Craft Beer & Brewing is a worthwhile subscription.

They feature many beers and styles, from a large number of breweries. With input from the brewers, and the full recipe, scaled down to 5 gallons.

Lot's of good and interesting info there.

https://beerandbrewing.com/?__s=bt37veims9ntewb202b2

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2022, 08:23:18 am »
 Cloning a (10s or 100s) thousands of gallons commercial beer in a five gallon home brew batch ain't happening. The volume alone makes it pretty much impossible, not to mention their actual process compared to home brewing on a propane burner or stove. And you might or might not get the exact same grains, hops, and yeast that they use
At best you might be able to brew something that resembles the commercial beer. "Hey, this reminds me of Sierra Nevada pale ale".
Instead of clone I prefer the term ballpark beer.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2022, 08:33:42 am »
Cloning a (10s or 100s) thousands of gallons commercial beer in a five gallon home brew batch ain't happening. The volume alone makes it pretty much impossible, not to mention their actual process compared to home brewing on a propane burner or stove. And you might or might not get the exact same grains, hops, and yeast that they use
At best you might be able to brew something that resembles the commercial beer. "Hey, this reminds me of Sierra Nevada pale ale".
Instead of clone I prefer the term ballpark beer.

I adopted Denny's term:  an homage beer.  It quiets the naysayers.  My response if differences are brought up:  "Of course its different - I brewed it!"
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2022, 08:33:57 am »
Get over the word "clone".  It ain't gonna happen.  When I use a commercial beer as a goal, I call it an homage.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2022, 08:38:42 am »
Get over the word "clone".  It ain't gonna happen.  When I use a commercial beer as a goal, I call it an homage.

My new phrase is "Copy Cat Beer". And if I want a genuine commercial version, I will just buy a keg.

Or, it could be referred to as a "Tribute Beer". No, you ain't gonna clone anything!

Offline Big_Eight

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2022, 08:44:01 am »
I call it an attempt at whatever commercial recipe it is lol. If it makes good beer that I like and has some kind of resemblance I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the links @BrewBama .

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2022, 09:43:39 am »
I call it "inspired by..."
One reason pro brewer's are often generous with their recipes is that they know clones are not a thing.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.