Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Help me FWH my Kolsch  (Read 9999 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Help me FWH my Kolsch
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:17:48 am »
I want to try someething different with my kolsch and want to FWH with crystal. I know Denny is the FWH guru. I also know he has walked me through this before... :-\

Anyway, I am going to brew this tomorrow - let;s say I want to to a FWH ONLY kolsch with crystal, targeting about 28 IBUs - how do I do this?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:31:32 am by majorvices »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Help me FWH my Kolsch
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:25:22 pm »
The way I would do it would be to calc the FWH hops as a 20 min. IBU contribution, then use as much as you need to hit your 28 IBU.  If you use Promash and do a 60 min. boil, that would mean setting your FWH utilization to -65.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:58:39 pm »
Thanks - I don't have ProMash. That's cool that there is a FWH utilization on it. I don't think there was when I used it.

I'm going to try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Offline jds

• 1st Kit
  • Enginerd, Dad, Homebrewer
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 12:46:53 pm »
The way I would do it would be to calc the FWH hops as a 20 min. IBU contribution, then use as much as you need to hit your 28 IBU.  If you use Promash and do a 60 min. boil, that would mean setting your FWH utilization to -65.

Can you please explain to me why FWH is calculated this way? Is it because of the change in perception of bitterness from FWH, or does FWH really result in reduced utilization compared to a 60-minute addition? I really like the quality of bitterness I get from FWH additions, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept that longer time in the wort = lower utilization.

Thanks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 01:00:56 pm »

Can you please explain to me why FWH is calculated this way? Is it because of the change in perception of bitterness from FWH, or does FWH really result in reduced utilization compared to a 60-minute addition? I really like the quality of bitterness I get from FWH additions, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept that longer time in the wort = lower utilization.

Thanks

It's strictly subjective.  I've had beers analyzed that were FWH and hopped with an equal amount of the same hops at 60 min.  The FWH beers measured about 10% more IBU than the 60 min. beer, but in a blind triangle tasting were subjectively judged to have less bitterness.  It's because of chemical changes that take place when the hops are steeped in wort.  This article http://www.franklinbrew.org/brewinfo/brauweltfwh.html may shed some light on the subject.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:18:24 pm »
Thanks, Denny. That's just what I was looking for.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 01:51:41 pm »
Well, habit really got in the way on this one. I was at 190 degrees before I remembered the FWHops. Next time.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 07:59:48 am »

Thanks

There is an explanation of it in John Palmer's book "How To Brew".  You can also read it online free if  you do a search for it.   ;)

Offline jds

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:27:43 am »
There is an explanation of it in John Palmer's book "How To Brew".  You can also read it online free if  you do a search for it.   ;)

Thanks.  I've read the bit in the online version a number of times, but the explanation of why FWH works in the described manner doesn't really explain it to me. It's the Engineer's curse -- I like details.  Denny's explanation was better, and the study he linked to cleared it up totally for me.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 03:10:13 pm »
Well, habit really got in the way on this one. I was at 190 degrees before I remembered the FWHops. Next time.

Next time just put them in the kettle when you measure them out  ;)

mmmyeah. Thanks for the tip.  ::) :P
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:47:39 am by majorvices »
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline woody

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 06:59:59 pm »
I have 10 gallons of German pils that I FWH with hallertau and an IPA that's in the secondary that I FWH with centennial.  Can't wait to see how they turn out!   They certainly smelled nice while the wort was coming to a boil
I believe in a society with a ruling class.   Cause I rule

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 03:17:42 pm »
I have 10 gallons of German pils that I FWH with hallertau

be sure to let me know what you think.  I am finishing up the second keg of a GP with Hallertau and Tettnang as the FWH.

It had been about 2 years since I had FWHed as I had actively moved away from this method, so I figured I would give it a go again to see if anything had changed.  Nope, same result - I just don't like it, doesn't work for me.

This pils had much less hop flavor and much more hop bite than my last where I used a traditional hop schedule (same hops, yeast and malt bill, just switched my 2oz of 20 min Hall and Tett to FWH).  Granted, not a scientific experiment in the least - lots of variables at play, but it was enough evidence doesn't make sense for me to use it anymore.

I'm interested to hear what your impressions are, Keith, when you remember to do it next time.  ;)

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 04:19:47 pm »

I'm interested to hear what your impressions are, Keith, when you remember to do it next time.  ;)

I am going to brew it again and will FWH it as soon as this fermentation is finished.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 08:41:13 pm »
I am just drinking FWH and 80 min Halletauer Kolsh.
It is more bitter then I expected but I do not know if it is because of FWH or 80 min addition.
Let me know how it turned out.
28 IBU sounds about right.
By the way when I compare comercial (red label and do not remember the name) to my kolsh I was in ball park :)
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline tappedout

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 08:16:23 am »
My (admittedly one) experience w/ FWHing, tasted yummy, but the boil seemed like it really wanted to boil over, much more than when I just add bittering hops.  Anyone else notice this, or am I all wet?