Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Some sites are a real pain to navigate  (Read 737 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Some sites are a real pain to navigate
« on: May 06, 2022, 03:00:53 pm »
I've been looking around trying to find a good deal on a grain mill and some homebrew shop websites make it practically impossible to find information.
Where's a good site to get a decent grain mill that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Online Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Some sites are a real pain to navigate
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 11:26:12 pm »
Arm and a leg is relative depending on your budget. I bought a Hullwrecker from Northern Brewer several years ago and it works great. It’s a basic mill; two roller, 7 lb. hopper that adjusts down to .025. I think I paid ~$125-130. Of course, with the COVID premium I’m sure it’s more. You can probably get a better deal on Amazon or even consider an off-brand, which look (and most likely are) identical other than the name etched into the metal. This basic mill works for me as I do 3 gallon batches once or twice a month. Others with larger batches and higher frequency probably use more robust equipment.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 06:47:51 am »
I have a Barley Crusher I bought on sale for about $130 through the BeerSmith website about 4 - 5 years ago.  I’m sure it’s more expensive now, but it might be worth looking into.  It’s a great mill that came with a 15lb. hopper.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 06:59:26 am »
Ditto. A decent 2 roller grain mill is going to be in the neighborhood of $130. However I can  tell you that having your own mill will probably if not definitely be one of the best investments you will ever make for homebrewing.

No affiliation but here is the website for my LHBS online store...
https://www.hopcraftsupply.com/
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 10:47:21 am »
Echoing the comments that what is an arm and a leg depends on your budget. The cereal killer mills I believe still run around $90-100 and hold up well. I bought one eight or so years ago and still very happy with it.

Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline brewthru

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 05:59:49 pm »
I DO NOT recommand Crankenstein. I had a few questions. The owner acted as if I was trying to steal his mill information. Basically told me he didn't want my business. OK. I buy from another mill seller.