Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Glassware  (Read 18327 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Glassware
« on: September 24, 2010, 02:08:32 am »
I generally use the 20oz "nonic" style glasses. However, I have the "pokal" type as well. That's pretty much it except for a raggedy old Chimay goblet.

How about you guy's? What's your favorite style of glass for beer?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
Re: Glassware
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 04:21:29 am »
I mainly use regular old pint glasses, but I like to beer-geek it up for some styles. I just bought a case of stanges for my kolsch. I also like big brandy snifters for strong beers like barleywines and old ales. I have several goblet styles for Belgians as well. I have a few dimple mugs too which I like drinking English styles out of.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 05:33:56 am »
I have so much beer glassware that my wife is afraid to open the cabinet.  I like a tulip glass for Belgians, unless it's a Wit, then I use a chunky Hoegarden glass.  I like my Left Hand pilsner glass a lot.  Nothing like a Hefeweizen in its own glass.........
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 06:25:45 am »
I've got regular shaker style pint glasses, tall pilsner glasses, and glass mugs.  I've also got a few goblets that are really big wine glasses but I use them for my belgians and barleywines.

I'd like to get some traditional pub glasses and some tulip glasses.  I've been looking at this site but they only sell by the case.  I need to get some friends to go in with me.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/third332/bar-glasses.html
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 06:30:21 am »
Ton's of glassware.  Mostly comprised of one off's, not too many "sets" or multiples of the same type.  I scour thrift stores and yard sales for interesting glassware and that is where a lot of my collection comes from.  I have found dimple steins, tulips, snifters, goblets, thistles and some glasses I have no idea what they are called but they suite some beers perfectly.

I also have a tendency to break glassware.  Especially my favorites.   :'(

Dave Brush

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 06:53:55 am »
I have a couple Orval goblets for Trappist and bigger Belgian styles, some tulips for wheats and other Belgians, but my favorite glasses are my half-litre glass steins and my conical pint glasses.  Nice thick walled glass, so my hand doesn't warm my beer.

When those are dirty, or I'm just having a 'regular' sized beer, I'll grab a shaker pint.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 07:00:54 am »
I too have most of a kitchen cabinet filled with beer glasses of which my wife is imminently thrilled about  ::)

I make a lot of lagers, so I tend to favor my Ayinger Willibecker glasses.  But the ones that get used the most are my Samuel Smith nonick half pints. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 07:04:54 am »
Mainly 20-oz handled mugs - fits a 500ml just right.  Also have a couple of the Sam Adams glasses from when they were giving them away a while back.  Oh, and I have a case of 5-oz "sample" glasses for tastings.
Joe

Offline enso

• Brewer
  • Northeast Kingdom, VT
    • Bristle Bros. Brewing Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:05:52 am »
I too have most of a kitchen cabinet filled with beer glasses of which my wife is imminently thrilled about  ::)

Put a shelf up next to your kegerator (if ya got one  ;D)

Then the problem is remembering to bring them back there once they are washed!  

;)
Dave Brush

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:10:44 am »

+1

My wife is also thrilled.  ::)

I like the idea of a separate cabinet near the kegerator.
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 07:16:55 am »

Put a shelf up next to your kegerator (if ya got one  ;D)

Then the problem is remembering to bring them back there once they are washed!  

;)

no room near the current kegerator, but we are building a new house, and guess what one of the top things on the list was for the kitchen  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 08:10:36 am »

+1

My wife is also thrilled.  ::)

I like the idea of a separate cabinet near the kegerator.

Excellent!  Now, I just need to finish building my kegerator (and find an old cabinet).
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 08:24:04 am »
I have a ton of glassware as well, but I seem to have gravitated toward a 10 oz. snifter for just about everything. I can get a good 7 to 8 oz. in the glass and still have enough room for a nice head. Lets me sample multiple beers per session with out over doing it and also seems to be the right amount per pour for temperature and carbonation consistency for the drinking duration.
Just brew it...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 11:07:11 am »
I mostly use shaker pints.  I have lots of other glassware in a cabinet in the garage, but almost always forget to go get the proper glass.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 11:36:18 am »
I did have a stupidly large beer glass collection a few years back - literally about 500 glasses. Of course, I'd lived in the same place for 12 years. :)

Then when the fiance and I moved in together, we went through the pare down of stuff phase... I lost all but 50 of the glasses and had good reasons for each, dangit!

fortunately, she just rolls her eyes and shakes her head at the silliness and I try to do the same for her.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison