Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Amber Ales and Crystal/Caramel Malt  (Read 3195 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Amber Ales and Crystal/Caramel Malt
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2023, 09:16:26 am »

Someone would have to care enough to ask us to do a book.
Do a recipe book that isn't solely a recipe book (which I think you've done before)- I enjoy books that tell good stories behind the recipes that have a unique voice to them.  Michael Dawson's Mash Maker is a good one with very solid recipes in them.
[/quote]
Have you got a copy of Homebrew All Stars?
[/quote]

THIS.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2023, 12:58:16 pm »
Yes I do!  Time for another one Denny!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2023, 01:01:16 pm »
Yes I do!  Time for another one Denny!

Find us a publisher who wants it

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2023, 07:52:27 am »
In my quest to brew smaller beers, I have been seeking out recipes.

I ran across a 60/- from MoreBeer that includes 15% medium crystal and 7.5% dark crystal. 20+% C malt.

I think I am going to brew it to see how it turns out.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2023, 08:03:42 am »

I ran across a 60/- from MoreBeer that includes 15% medium crystal and 7.5% dark crystal. 20+% C malt.

That's pretty interesting.  I often wonder where MoreBeer et al. get their kit recipes from and exactly how old these recipes are. 

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2023, 08:29:08 am »
Some they get from breweries (Russian River, Heretic, Pizza Port, Drake’s, etc.). Others they get from brewers (Tasty McDole, Jamil Zainasheff, etc). Not sure where they get the ‘non attributed’ recipes but they are probably years/decades old.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2023, 08:31:40 am »

That's pretty interesting.  I often wonder where MoreBeer et al. get their kit recipes from and exactly how old these recipes are.

Some from me. Many others from similar sources.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2023, 08:36:05 am »
I have good success using Morebeer’s recipes.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2023, 10:07:56 am »
Their recipes are basic but solid. I started by making MoreBeer kits, then started using their kit recipes as a basis for designing my own. Their Irish Red Ale was one of my first brews and my current version, which hasn't changed that much, is still one of my most popular.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2023, 02:04:41 am »

That beer is only 1.032-1.035 OG, and it's only 1.5 lb of C-malt for a 5 gallon batch. Using percentage of the grist as a rule of thumb for an upper limit on Cara malt usage becomes a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison for low gravity beers rather than a typical beer in the 1.050-1.060 range. I bet that recipe makes a tasty beer. As a matter of fact, I might brew a take on it when my ale tap is next in the pipeline.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

Amber Ales and Crystal/Caramel Malt
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2023, 06:47:48 am »
As I said, I’ve been paroozing session beer recipes, especially English Mild, Bitter, Golden Ale, Scottish Mild (60/-, 70/-), Irish Red, Stout, Session IPA(s), etc.   I’ve been focusing on books like Graham Wheeler’s British Real Ale, Greg Hughes’ Homebrew Beer (aka “The Bible”), Jennifer Talley’s Session Beer, and Andy Parker and Graham Wheeler’s CAMRA’s Essential Home Brewing.

In my limited effort, I haven’t come across too many session beers with such high percentages of C malts which is why I found the MoreBeer recipe remarkable.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:03:09 am by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2023, 11:16:42 am »

That beer is only 1.032-1.035 OG, and it's only 1.5 lb of C-malt for a 5 gallon batch. Using percentage of the grist as a rule of thumb for an upper limit on Cara malt usage becomes a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison for low gravity beers rather than a typical beer in the 1.050-1.060 range. I bet that recipe makes a tasty beer. As a matter of fact, I might brew a take on it when my ale tap is next in the pipeline.
I think that’s an important point. I get fixated on percentages a lot, but for some malts the total amount in a recipe is more important.

Offline BrewBama

Amber Ales and Crystal/Caramel Malt
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2023, 07:54:50 pm »
Ron and I had the opportunity to try Tommy’s Shark Bite in post No1 tonight at his brew club meeting. It definitely was not too sweet. In fact, we all agreed it was a hop forward beer. I was amazed at the 20% crystal but it was a very good beer.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 07:56:29 pm by BrewBama »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2023, 08:29:16 pm »
Ron and I had the opportunity to try Tommy’s Shark Bite in post No1 tonight at his brew club meeting. It definitely was not too sweet. In fact, we all agreed it was a hop forward beer. I was amazed at the 20% crystal but it was a very good beer.
Thanks, Dwain!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2023, 08:42:23 am »

Properly used crystal will not necessarily make a beer sweet.

www.dennybrew.com