Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sourdough Time!  (Read 14296 times)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Sourdough Time!
« on: October 15, 2010, 09:48:39 am »
Not having the luxury of an outdoor brick oven like SOME people, it's been 6 months since I could even think about baking.

I just pulled the sponge out of the fridge and am attempting to re-animate it. It had what looked like vinegar mother sitting on top, so I poured that off, warmed it up and fed it. Wish me luck!
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Sourdough Time!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 11:51:33 am »
Good luck!

I have something similar in my fridge. I need to wake it.  :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:03:03 pm »
Good luck!

I have something similar in my fridge. I need to wake it.  :o

damn, I must be growing up (or at least older). I can remember a time when I opened my fridge carefully in fear of waking some of the life forms in there.  :D
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 01:04:35 pm »
It's a-bubblin!  ;D
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 01:09:16 pm »
First loaf is rising... Sourdough takes some planning! I just couldn't find the time until today.

I'll snap a picture tonight - hopefully of a risen loaf.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 03:07:03 pm »
Jeff Renner has some great sourdough info here...

http://aabg.org/2010/01/21/sourdough-starter-instructions/#more-334
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 03:22:27 pm »
Is there anything Jeff Renner can't ferment?

Honestly, I had no idea how to do this a few months back when I started, so I just ran my usual sour mash and made my starter from that. Seems to work pretty well, but I'm having trouble getting the sour/rise balance worked out correctly. I consulted Ye Olde Internetz and found this page, which seems to indicate that a much longer rise time is needed to fully develop both: http://sourdoughhome.com/sfsd1.html

So I'm trying this recipe out this time around and we shall see.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 03:31:09 pm »
Is there a standard bread book to buy for the aspiring bread baker, you know, the one that every baker must have?

I know nothing of the bread baking process, so I need to start at ground zero.  Thanks.

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:44:38 pm »
Out of many bread books we own, this by far takes the cake.

http://www.amazon.com/My-Bread-Revolutionary-No-Work-No-Knead/dp/0393066304

This method is incredibly simple and makes fantastic bread.  I love it!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:16:24 pm »

I've been working out of this book for 20+ years.  As good a bread book as I've found anywhere. (I may be a bit biased cause the author used to live here in Hilo)

These days I mostly just look up recipes for special occasions.  My favs from this book were committed to memory decades ago.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 09:26:22 am »
I've been baking bread for the last 5-6 years, but I'm still working on perfecting my sourdough baguette.  Maybe once I do that, I'll get a book to help move on to other styles.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 03:03:44 pm »
I'm on my 3rd sourdough attempt this year, getting ready for the fourth. I've been making round loaves using the recipe in the link I posted above, but with all white bread flour. Rise for ~12hr, punch down, make 2 loaves, rise for another ~6hr and bake with steam and an egg wash.

The last attempt came out really good.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 07:03:42 pm »
One thing that really improved mine was to start adding 1-2 Tbsp. of vital wheat gluten per batch.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 08:04:24 pm »
What did the gluten do for it?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 11:32:52 pm »
Mainly, gluten helps hold in the co2 cause the dough is stretchier, resulting in a better spring in the oven and a better crumb.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis