Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Do the pubs in your area have consistent offerings of Cask Ale?

Yes; but I never partake
Yes; Cask Ale is something I consume regularly
None offered in my area
What's a Cask Ale?

Author Topic: Cask Ale vs Alcopop  (Read 6740 times)

jaybeerman

Cask Ale vs Alcopop
« on: October 27, 2010, 02:42:31 pm »
The "four loco" alcopop (alcohol + pop) thread got me thinking about the awesome variety of booze that's available today.  Though I don't drink soda and would never think of trying a "four loco," I'm not surprised or upset that kids drink them.  On the complete other side of the spectrum though I have noticed a few younger folks drinking cask ale at one of my local brewpubs, which pleasantly, surprises me.  So basically I'm curious what's available in your area and do you see young drinkers consuming cask ale?

boulderbrewer

Re: Cask Ale vs Alcopop
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 02:47:30 pm »
Nothing a my local brew pub. One a couple hours away from me has had them but not that frequent. Maybe one or two times a year.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 03:15:58 pm »
What's your definition of young?  At this point I'm not so young any more, but wouldn't call myself old...

Anyway, there's one or two places I frequent (or more accurately used to frequent prior to the children) that serve cask ale.

I wouldn't say there's a crowd drinking it, but it seems to be popular enough for them to keep it on offer.

The age group at these places is not typically college kids out drinking.  More late 20's on up.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:19:47 pm »
My wife and I are both 23.  She loves cask ale.  I'm not as huge of a fan, but enjoy a few tastes of hers.  I'll normally get something else on tap.  We never get the same kind of beer though.  We always try each others.  Get more tasting in that way.

Lots of cask ales around here though.  But with Denver's beer scene, it's not that hard.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 03:37:19 pm »
I've never seen nor tasted a cask ale.  I continue to look out for them though.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 03:40:58 pm »
There I places I go that always have a cask on, others that are occasional, some that never do.  Whether I get any or not depends on what it is.  My wife loves cask beers though, she usually goes for one.
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 03:56:23 pm »
What's your definition of young?  At this point I'm not so young any more, but wouldn't call myself old...

Anyway, there's one or two places I frequent (or more accurately used to frequent prior to the children) that serve cask ale.

I wouldn't say there's a crowd drinking it, but it seems to be popular enough for them to keep it on offer.

The age group at these places is not typically college kids out drinking.  More late 20's on up.

Well I'm only 34 but for the sake of this thread, lets say young equates to people of legal drinking age (21-25). We have one place that serves up a batch once a month or so; they're mostly serving the late 20's and up crowd.

jaybeerman

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 03:59:35 pm »
My wife and I are both 23.  She loves cask ale.  I'm not as huge of a fan, but enjoy a few tastes of hers.  I'll normally get something else on tap.  We never get the same kind of beer though.  We always try each others.  Get more tasting in that way.

Lots of cask ales around here though.  But with Denver's beer scene, it's not that hard.

I'm on the western slope but you'd think, from the beer scene, that we were from different worlds.
+1 "We never get the same kind of beer though"
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:02:21 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 04:06:24 pm »
don't get out to the pubs as much as I used to. and apparently I am not young anymore (34) but when i see a cask ale I will usually give it a go.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

jaybeerman

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 04:11:54 pm »
I guess, I should have mentioned, this weeks brewing tv episode got me thinking about cask ale.  The pub in madison(?) that had ten casks (pins, firkins,etc; not the point of this thread) and that appeared to be one of many brewpubs in the area.  My assumption is that, their drinking culture may lead to more (good) homebrewers than areas where alcopops rule.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 04:19:31 pm »
I guess, I should have mentioned, this weeks brewing tv episode got me thinking about cask ale.  The pub in madison(?) that had ten casks (pins, firkins,etc; not the point of this thread) and that appeared to be one of many brewpubs in the area.  My assumption is that, their drinking culture may lead to more (good) homebrewers than areas where alcopops rule.
I'm not so sure.  It might get them interested in good beer and maybe brewing their own, but we have lots of good beer here and I know some people who have quit brewing because it is easier (and sometimes better and cheaper) to drop off a corny at a brewery and get it filled than it is to make it yourself.  There was one place that would fill a corny for $25, although they're now up to $45.  Some guys just buy a 1/2 bbl and push it into 3 cornies, then return the shell.

If the only reason you brew is to make better beer because you can't get it where you live, you'll quit as soon as the good beer becomes available.  But if you love brewing your own you'll keep doing it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 04:23:04 pm »
St Louis has plenty of cask ale, which I drink happily. Schlafly puts out quite a few casks in there different offerings,.
Love them.

jaybeerman

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 04:37:27 pm »
If the only reason you brew is to make better beer because you can't get it where you live, you'll quit as soon as the good beer becomes available.  But if you love brewing your own you'll keep doing it.
[/quote]

Could be.  That might require another poll; do you brew because you like good beer or is it because you like to brew (i.e. make things)?  I disagree though, most great brewpubs will tell you just how important their relationship with the local homebrewers is.  I will say that nowdays cost is a huge factor in the life of a homebrewer.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 04:43:53 pm »
I disagree though, most great brewpubs will tell you just how important their relationship with the local homebrewers is.  I will say that nowdays cost is a huge factor in the life of a homebrewer.
If you're disagreeing, you'll have to point out where I said that brewpubs don't care about homebrewers  ;)

Cost is certainly a factor, but if you spend 3 hours and $30 making 2 cases of beer and have to wait a few weeks for it, but you can buy 2 cases of better beer than you make for less than $60 and have it right now, then you might opt for the store bought stuff.  Unless of course, you just like brewing.
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 04:50:57 pm »
If you're disagreeing, you'll have to point out where I said that brewpubs don't care about homebrewers  ;)
[/quote]

I'm just offering an example, the best brewpubs IMO have a great relationship with their local homebrewers. Therefore, the flip side is that homebrewers didn't give up homebrewing when great beer became available.  Hope that makes sense.  :)