Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 145831 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
What's For Dinner?
« on: November 14, 2010, 11:30:02 pm »
Beer brewers tend to be pretty good cooks.  So share... wots fo dinah tonight?

Tomorrow is Monday - wash day.

Jus started dem red beans soaken fo red beans and rice, me.

You?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:21:05 am »
Grilled chicken and steak tacos with rice and beans to celebrate my birthday today.  8)
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 07:25:02 am »
Yesterday I sliced up 12 lbs of cured, smoked meat.  8lbs of pork loin, cured with curing salts and various spices (including garam masala, don't ask me why), and a 4lb eye of round beef roast, which isn't much on its own but cured, smoked, and sliced thin should make great sandwich meat.  Run through the meat slicer, bagged, and frozen.

That done, it was onto Sunday night's meal.  I spatchcocked and almost completely deboned a chicken, using all the bones and trimmings to make an aromatic stock.  The chicken was seasoned and refrigerated, the stock was used to make a gravy.  Boiled and mashed some potatoes, and then smoke-roasted the chicken with hickory wood for an hour and a half.  Heated up some homemade rolls the wife had made the other day, and glanced furtively at some vegetables (no more than a glance, I admit), and it was dinner time.  Good stuff!  Not health food, but ok every now and then.

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 08:25:58 am »
I did spatchcocked chicken last night too. Kroger's had whole chickens for $0.49/lb on Saturday so we stocked the freezer. Marinated one for half the day in a ancho/chipotle/lime and olive oil mixture and then seared breast down over some lump for 15 minutes, flipped, lowered the coals, tossed in some applewood chips, and roasted for an hour. The wife roasted some new potatoes and steamed some broccoli and we ate wonderfully! We've been having such great weather around here lately. High 60º's in the evening so kids played outside all afternoon.

While cooking, I noticed several areas for improvement on the side pit smoker. I have the wood stove gaskets ready and just need to glue them down. Should shore up some smoke leaks and help keep a more consistent temp when smoking.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:32:40 am »
Turkey Burgers with spicy chili mayo on grilled bun

emmenthaler/sharp cheddar mac and cheese (cavatappi not elbows)

baby arugula salad.

damn, its 10:30 and I'm already ready for dinner.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 09:00:45 am »
Happy Birthday, Ron!  Me, I'm working a 15 hour day today, so dinner will be whatever fast food I can find on a short break.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 09:31:55 am »
Yeah, Happy Birth Day Ron,...and nothing fancy for us, we had some deep fried popcorn shrimp
and frozen mixed vegies....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:36:41 am »
Grilled chicken and steak tacos with rice and beans to celebrate my birthday today.  8)

Happy Birthday!  Hope you're having some cake with those tacos.  Or at least a celebratory kine beer!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:52:50 am »
Sat I had grilled grass fed Angus: a choice NY strip and a top sirloin steak both marinated in fresh squeezed lime juice and cilantro.

Grilled medium and sliced thin most of it got vac-sealed in small portions. I'll be taking them to my geriatric parents at Thanksgiving. Also did two racks of St Louis style ribs. They'll get most of that too.

The next night posole from smoked country-style pork ribs. It was truly awesome and there's nothing left. Dinner? Tonight? If I'm lucky something barely edible from the cafeteria at work... :P
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 01:02:03 pm »
Veggie tacos with homemade tortillas, grilled brocolli, mushroom and onions, black beans a smashed avacado. a little habenero sauce just to make things interesting. pie for desert maybe
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 04:56:59 pm »
Tonight, pan seared thick cut free range pork chops, whipped potatoes infused with roasted garlic and onion. Saute green beans.  Applesauce.

As an appetizer, boiled peanuts. Not sure if they are "green" though. The ones I have had before did have green color involved. These are completely brown but raw.

How can you tell if they are green.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline punatic

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 06:12:49 pm »
"Green" peanuts are freshly picked - not dried or "raw" as such.  They still have a lot of their moisture in them and are still pretty tender.  They are brown in color.  Never seen a green-colored peanut before. 

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 06:28:21 pm »
Im pretty sure these are not dry. They are moist to an extent. I have never seen a dried raw peanut so I dont have a reference. Maybe I can post some pics in the boiled peanut thread.

These are from an Indian store. The other ones I used to get are from a Korean store. Those definitely had some green color in them, especially where the root or stem was attached. They were also much smaller.

Oh man, I eating myself sick on boiled peanuts. I just cant stop.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline punatic

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »
Oh man, I eating myself sick on boiled peanuts. I just cant stop.

heh heh heh... I warned ya

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 03:01:15 pm »
Monday was smother beef/bean burritos, last night grilled chicken with stir fried squash medley, tonight I have no idea.  My problem is I never know how many people will be around for dinner so I can't really plan meals in advance.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico