Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 145834 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #615 on: May 22, 2014, 10:19:11 am »
The one benefit to bell peppers is that they stand up a lot easier than other peppers. Certainly works easier for stuffing. I prefer the flavor of Poblanos though. If I can figure out a way to keep the filling inside better... I had some issues with that this time.

I fire roast, sweat, skin & de-seed. then stuff and use a wooden skewer to sew them closed again. then I usually dredge in whipped egg white batter and deep fry  ;D

Jonathan, I would think the deep frying kinda wipes out any benefit of the egg white batter.  ;)

I make a relleno casserole layered with potatoes, poblanos, cooked meats (I prefer chorizo), and onions, held together with an egg/flour mixture (real thin batter actually).  I put a little baking powder in the batter and it makes the casserole nice and fluffy.

mmm tasty!

The egg whit part is only to make it fluffy, I fold the yolks back in once the whites are at stiff peak along with a little flour, salt, pepper, and cumin. I can see hybridizing the two recipes and using the fluffy egg batter on top as a meringue like topping.

Isn't that the traditional way Mort - to dip in egg whites and fry ?  That's how I always did it, except for when I grill/smoke them like Euge.
Jon H.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #616 on: May 22, 2014, 10:20:16 am »
The one benefit to bell peppers is that they stand up a lot easier than other peppers. Certainly works easier for stuffing. I prefer the flavor of Poblanos though. If I can figure out a way to keep the filling inside better... I had some issues with that this time.

I fire roast, sweat, skin & de-seed. then stuff and use a wooden skewer to sew them closed again. then I usually dredge in whipped egg white batter and deep fry  ;D

Jonathan, I would think the deep frying kinda wipes out any benefit of the egg white batter.  ;)

I make a relleno casserole layered with potatoes, poblanos, cooked meats (I prefer chorizo), and onions, held together with an egg/flour mixture (real thin batter actually).  I put a little baking powder in the batter and it makes the casserole nice and fluffy.

mmm tasty!

The egg whit part is only to make it fluffy, I fold the yolks back in once the whites are at stiff peak along with a little flour, salt, pepper, and cumin. I can see hybridizing the two recipes and using the fluffy egg batter on top as a meringue like topping.

Isn't that the traditional way Mort - to dip in egg whites and fry ?  That's how I always did it, except for when I grill/smoke them like Euge.

as far as I can tell it is. NEver had them in mexico though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #617 on: May 22, 2014, 02:09:41 pm »

This is how I do it. you don't need them to seal perfectly because the egg white batter and the cheese that melts right away and tries to escape actually crisps up pretty quick and seals itself while frying.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #618 on: June 08, 2014, 09:01:42 pm »

This is attempt #2 at the stuffed poblano. Used pepper jack this time, instead of queso fresco which worked out nice, as the jack melts far more easily, and helped hold it all together. Used a couple of bamboo skewers to keep the pepper closed, and it worked great. Served with a glass of Founder's Centennial IPA which my wife brought back from Minnesota last week.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #619 on: July 04, 2014, 07:45:08 am »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #620 on: October 31, 2014, 06:20:23 pm »
I'm gonna bump this thread. Whats everyone cooking these days?

For myself, I am starting the move into winter squash with meatloaf stuffed Acorn Squash.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #621 on: October 31, 2014, 06:56:46 pm »
Made some achiote marinated halibut a couple days ago for some killer fish tacos, grilled on charcoal. Served with shredded cabbage, lime crema, cilantro and a smoking homemade habanero/tomatillo salsa. Really, really good tacos. Ironically, it's cold windy and rainy/snowy tonight. Love the Midwest.
Jon H.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #622 on: November 01, 2014, 08:52:16 am »
Made some achiote marinated halibut a couple days ago for some killer fish tacos, grilled on charcoal. Served with shredded cabbage, lime crema, cilantro and a smoking homemade habanero/tomatillo salsa. Really, really good tacos. Ironically, it's cold windy and rainy/snowy tonight. Love the Midwest.

wow that sounds great!  Care to share that habanero/ tomatillo salsa recipe?
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #623 on: November 01, 2014, 09:04:59 am »

Sure. This is a fire roasted salsa. I'm gonna use this recipe for a fermented hot sauce soon, but it's great as is.

Fire Roast:
6 tomatillos
2 Roma tomatos
1 medium onion - big slices
5 habaneros (or to taste)
5 jalapenos
5 garlic cloves wrapped in foil - ie., roasted garlic

Puree with ~ 1/2 cup each of white vinegar and water, along with salt, black pepper, and 1 tsp cumin. Killer stuff !
Jon H.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #624 on: November 01, 2014, 02:07:00 pm »
BBQed a 14lb Packer Brisket for a party this afternoon.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #625 on: November 01, 2014, 02:36:55 pm »

Sure. This is a fire roasted salsa. I'm gonna use this recipe for a fermented hot sauce soon, but it's great as is.

Fire Roast:
6 tomatillos
2 Roma tomatos
1 medium onion - big slices
5 habaneros (or to taste)
5 jalapenos
5 garlic cloves wrapped in foil - ie., roasted garlic

Puree with ~ 1/2 cup each of white vinegar and water, along with salt, black pepper, and 1 tsp cumin. Killer stuff !

Thanks for sharing!  Looking forward to making this.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg