Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Charlie's gluten free recipe....  (Read 9087 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Charlie's gluten free recipe....
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:27:18 pm »
I want to brew that for a friend. But, I would like to start simple and make two changes.

First I would like to do a single infusion and batch sparge......any great loss in that? Suggested temp?

Secondly, my friend is not THAT much of a hop head, so I was thinking about reducing the bittering hops by 50% to get to about 40 HBU....

Am I thinking straight?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Charlie's gluten free recipe....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 10:08:48 am »
Anyone home?  ;D

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 10:47:36 am »
Anyone home?  ;D

No experience on this topic but I think a single infusion in the lower end of the temp range should work reasonably well.

My concern would be the fact that it isn't really a gluten free beer but rather a it's a very low gluten beer.  One of my sisters-in-law (sister-in-laws ?, I can't remember today) has celiacs, as do her 2 kids.  She runs a gluten free bakery in Colorado and is adamant that any gluten is too much gluten.  Before you go through the effort to brew it you probably want to make sure your friend is willing to drink it.

If you do and your friend doesn't have any issues with it, please let us know.  My brother has been looking for a good recipe for a few years now.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 01:34:12 pm »
Yup, my bud is willing to try, and if after the first few it turns out it's a no go......well, I'll sacrifice myself and drink it.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:03:07 pm »
Yup, my bud is willing to try, and if after the first few it turns out it's a no go......well, I'll sacrifice myself and drink it.
You sir, are a true gentleman.  ;)
Mark Gres

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 11:07:07 am »
So what do you think of it from a perspective of a regular gluten consumer....is it worth drinking or making for the hell of it?
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 12:12:28 pm »
You should probably only make a couple gallons at first. My experiences with gluten free beer is that they are terrible. The large amount of hops in Papazian's recipe probably makes up for some sins. Yes, I've been reading it too...

Suppose you just take it as an inspiration and craft your own. Seems to me the Clearex is an integral part of the recipe.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:30:13 pm »
Haven't made it  yet..... on the list. Will be part of a social get together.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 09:33:12 am »
I've had a number of gluten free beers from a friend who's hoping to to open a gluten free brewery.  I have to admit that none of them were anything I'd choose to drink if I didn't have to.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 10:38:47 am »
I've had a number of gluten free beers from a friend who's hoping to to open a gluten free brewery.  I have to admit that none of them were anything I'd choose to drink if I didn't have to.

That's been my take on them too.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 11:38:10 am »
I think the mistake comes from trying to make something taste like something it's not.  Like trying to make tofu taste like meat - it doesn't work and is just disappointing, but tofu as tofu is great.

So make gluten free drinks, and don't try to make them taste exactly like beer.  They should taste good in their own right.  Just my take on it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 11:45:04 am »
I think the mistake comes from trying to make something taste like something it's not.  Like trying to make tofu taste like meat - it doesn't work and is just disappointing, but tofu as tofu is great.

So make gluten free drinks, and don't try to make them taste exactly like beer.  They should taste good in their own right.  Just my take on it.

That's spot on IMO.  But, therein lies the difficulty. Perhaps a secondary fermentation or infusion with fresh fruit would be a welcome enhancer for this type of beer.

Mmmmm apricots...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 06:43:45 pm »
Well, ordered a vial of Ferm-ex today. We'll see how this pans out.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 04:42:12 pm »

Sounds good to me that way... maybe I'll have to give it a try and see what comes of it.  I remember my Dad talked about using sorghum to make beer way back in the day.  At the time I was only about 12 or so and used to make a mash and dump it on old stumps letting it soak in... deer bait.    ;D

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 09:43:27 am »
Please keep us up to date. I've got a friend in the same boat and if this works for you, I'll be giving it a try.