Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry hopping...  (Read 6885 times)

Offline mlager

• Cellarman
    • CactiBrew
Dry hopping...
« on: February 06, 2011, 04:40:55 pm »
I'm about to do my first dry hop. My primary fermentation has completed. Can I just throw the mesh bag with hops into the same primary fermentation vessel? I'm not a big fan of racking the beer to secondary, I'd rather just keep the risks to a minimum and dry hop in the already sterilized and oxygen free environment, and keep the beer on the yeast cake for cleanup purposes.

Are there downsides to this when compared to dry hopping in a separate secondary vessel?

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: Dry hopping...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:14:39 pm »
While I think you should not really worry about transferring and O2 exposure....

I cannot think of any downside of what you propose.

Personally, I always crash,
and then transfer and rack on top of a bunch of whole flowers....just seems more el'natural to me.

Keep her warm and good luck.

Offline kingofgix

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:32:35 pm »
Can't really answer the question as I am also a newbie dry-hopper, but this raises another question for me.  It sounds like both posters are dry hopping with hops straight from the bag.  Are the hops sufficiently clean that you don't have to worry about them contaminating the beer?
The only time I previously dry hopped I used pellets, boiled the hop bag, added the pellets to a bit of boiled water and poured the water/pellet solution into the boiled bag.  Then I dropped the bag into the secondary, all sterile like.  Is all this boiling a waste of time?     
Beer good! 

Homebrew better!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 12:38:52 pm »
Yes, it is.  By the time you dry hop, the alcohol content and low pH of the beer make it very resistant to infection.  In addition, hops have antibacterial properties.  Bottom line is that I've dry hopped hundreds of batches, never sanitized the hops, and never had a problem from it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 02:29:27 pm »
Denny, do you sanitize the bag?
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 03:55:16 pm »

Yeah, I put it in a bowl of water in the microwave for a few minutes.  I'm not sure why I do it that way, since I always have StarSan around at the point I'll be dry hopping!  Either way is fine, but I definitely recommend sanitizing the bag.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:42:40 am »

Yeah, I put it in a bowl of water in the microwave for a few minutes.  I'm not sure why I do it that way, since I always have StarSan around at the point I'll be dry hopping!  Either way is fine, but I definitely recommend sanitizing the bag.

Does the microwave work?
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:51:52 am »
Does the microwave work?
It does, we used to sanitize baby bottles in the microwave.  You can even get gadgets to "sterilize" stuff with steam in the microwave.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:38:17 pm »
Does the microwave work?
It does, we used to sanitize baby bottles in the microwave.  You can even get gadgets to "sterilize" stuff with steam in the microwave.

We never really did baby bottles, as my son was all about having it on draught, but I am aware of the things you mean. My wife, who is a breastfeeding counsellor has a lot to say about how the 'sterilizers' don't bottles get sterile. Still, sanitized is frequently enough.
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 12:58:21 pm »
We never really did baby bottles, as my son was all about having it on draught, but I am aware of the things you mean. My wife, who is a breastfeeding counsellor has a lot to say about how the 'sterilizers' don't bottles get sterile. Still, sanitized is frequently enough.
Yeah, I didn't believe they really sterilized either, but I never tested it.  And on draught is really nice if you can get all you want :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 01:04:27 pm »

my son was all about having it on draught, .

+10!!  LMAO!!
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 05:34:20 pm »
Don't know how this topic got turned but I'll twist it ever further.

Children don't need a lot of super sanitizing.

The more they are exposed to and the earlier the better. A good dose of bacteria from Mom's "taps" is a very good thing.

Everybody wants to outlaw drugs, antibiotics for kids (except in extreme cases) is a good place to start. Being sick young is what makes them strong in adulthood.

This is Tubercle's observation, If you need an opinion, just ask.

OK. back to brewing type stuff...
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 12:20:32 am »
Don't know how this topic got turned but I'll twist it ever further.

Children don't need a lot of super sanitizing.

The more they are exposed to and the earlier the better. A good dose of bacteria from Mom's "taps" is a very good thing.

Everybody wants to outlaw drugs, antibiotics for kids (except in extreme cases) is a good place to start. Being sick young is what makes them strong in adulthood.

This is Tubercle's observation, If you need an opinion, just ask.

OK. back to brewing type stuff...

I'm all for the non-super sanitizing of kids. Bugs are good in the building of immunity.

This is one of the points my wife makes. Raw milk (whatever creature it comes from) is stacked with cultures that stave off infection. Sure there will be souring over time, but one literally has hours before milk in its raw state will spoil at room temperature.
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 02:40:18 am »
Completely agree with the non-sterilization of bottles etc. Little Corbi is getting his teeth now, so we're weaning him off draft and onto bottles, and frankly as long as the bottle is clean I don't see what the problem is. I'm not going to give him a bottle that's had formula in it for several hours, but at the same time I'm not going to spend bloody 15 minutes boiling everything whenever he wants some milk.

Same goes for gluten, peanuts, all those other 'allergens.' I think kids are much more allergy-sensitive these days because people freak out about what to feed 'em. Even my wife, who is pretty on the level on all this sort of stuff, has reservations about giving him wheat products. I figure as long as we're not giving him rotten food, it's gonna be OK for him.

Of course we DO only go the all-natural route. Formula is organic, teething biscuits are organic, bottle is BHPA (or whatever it is) free. No refined sugars, ever.

---

For the OP: When I dry hop, I just throw 'em in there, no bag. I'm not terribly concerned about sediment, etc.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline mlager

• Cellarman
    • CactiBrew
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 05:35:24 pm »
When I dry hop, I'm thinking about putting a stainless steel sanitized bolt in the bag with the hops so it doesn't just float on top, and I'd tie a string to it so it sat somewhere in the middle of the liquid suspended. The stainless steel bolt should not cause any off flavors right?