Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cease-fire in Libya  (Read 6773 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Cease-fire in Libya
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 06:31:59 am »

Vehicles belonging to forces loyal to Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi explode after an air strike by coalition forces

Ah man, it looks like we struck Achmed's No-Money-Down Used Car Lot or something.  Are we sure this isn't a variant spin-off of Cash for Clunkers?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 07:10:16 am »

Ah man, it looks like we struck Achmed's No-Money-Down Used Car Lot or something.  Are we sure this isn't a variant spin-off of Cash for Clunkers?

ROTF!  :D

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 07:26:08 am »

Ah man, it looks like we struck Achmed's No-Money-Down Used Car Lot or something.  Are we sure this isn't a variant spin-off of Cash for Clunkers?

ROTF!  :D

+1. Too funny!

I'll bet Mitch Rapp approves!  Hell, I'll bet he's the point-man on Operation Odyssey Dawn.  I'll also bet that he didn't come up with that name.  Wots up widdat?!  Sounds like a spin-off group from Tony Orlando or summat...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:36:41 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 07:35:50 am »
F15 had 'mechanical problems,' pilot & weapons tech ejected, safely in coalition hands now.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline punatic

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:28 am »
F15 had 'mechanical problems,' pilot & weapons tech ejected, safely in coalition hands now.

Naval Aviators... ::)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 08:22:19 am »
F-15 is AFAIK USAF only.  Sounds like there was a "sea eagle" variant at some point, but I imagine most carrier strikes are FA-18s now, right?

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2011, 08:35:05 am »
F-15 is AFAIK USAF only.  Sounds like there was a "sea eagle" variant at some point, but I imagine most carrier strikes are FA-18s now, right?

Do you mean strike eagle? The downed plane was an F15 Strike Eagle. Dunno about Sea Eagles.
----

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 11:44:46 am »
Yeah, the Sea Eagle was apparently a USN variant but I'm not sure how widely it was used or if it remains in service.  The Strike Eagle is USAF.  Just vindicating the honor of our naval pilots!   ;D

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 12:36:42 pm »
Yeah, the Sea Eagle was apparently a USN variant but I'm not sure how widely it was used or if it remains in service.  The Strike Eagle is USAF.  Just vindicating the honor of our naval pilots!   ;D
I had to look this one up.  The F-15N was a variant proposed for the Navy when the F-14 Tomcat was having development problems.  None were ever built from what I can see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_F-15_Eagle
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 04:09:03 pm »

Hey, F14 Tomcat - F15 Eagle... sounds so much alike it's an easy mistake to make (if you've been drinking Bigfoot).  They're both nose-heavy, twin-engine, two-seaters...

It's hard to resist taking a dig at those guys who spend all of their time practicing short takeoffs and landings.   ;D

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 06:16:23 pm »
A buddy in college was a RIO in an F4 after graduation.  He only did the 4 years.  By the time he was 2 years or so in half of the guys in his flight school class were dead from various crashes.  He decided an engineering career would be better for long term survival.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 12:04:26 am »
I'll bet Mitch Rapp approves!  Hell, I'll bet he's the point-man on Operation Odyssey Dawn. 

Two years ago, I never even cracked a book. Today, I seem to be the only guy on the board who gets the Vince Flynn reference. I owe it all to a bunch of drunken homebrewers. And most of all, to Major, for suggesting I read Lonesome Dove. That was the book that got me into books. Thanks Major!  ;D

(and now back to your regularly scheduled topic)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 01:14:35 am »
I'll bet Mitch Rapp approves!  Hell, I'll bet he's the point-man on Operation Odyssey Dawn. 

Two years ago, I never even cracked a book. Today, I seem to be the only guy on the board who gets the Vince Flynn reference. I owe it all to a bunch of drunken homebrewers. And most of all, to Major, for suggesting I read Lonesome Dove. That was the book that got me into books. Thanks Major!  ;D

Eh? Lonesome Dove?
----

Offline punatic

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 01:30:27 am »

Vince Flynn wrote Lonesome Dove?

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 01:13:10 pm »
  Dude, the whole Lonesome Dove series still has to be some of the best books I've read. Hands down. Love them. Just getting into Vince Flynn. Reading Extreme Measures right now. Along the same lines is Whitley Strieber. Critical Mass was great! Also really into Nelson DeMille. If you have not read The Lion's Game, and The Lion, you are really missing out.
  But, it was Major, and his suggestion to read Lonesome Dove that got me into reading books at all. I read that, and never realized how cool reading could be. Read the other three books in the series, and just kept finding new authors from there.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.