Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC First Round Results  (Read 20294 times)

Offline green_dragon

• 1st Kit
Re: NHC First Round Results
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2011, 12:35:05 pm »
Do we know if the Dallas score sheets have been mailed yet?  I'm in KS, which is normally 2-3 days via snail mail, and haven't received anything yet.

I'm not really in a hurry just curious if my beer arrived in one piece or not.  I packaged the crap out of it but it was my first time shipping a beer.
Currently Enjoying:  Oak-aged Oatmeal Stout & what's left of my NewCastle clone
Conditioning:  None
Fermenting: Coopers Wheat Beer Kit (for the wife)
On Deck:  AHS 20th Anniversary IPA Kit

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2011, 01:15:32 pm »
Do we know if the Dallas score sheets have been mailed yet?  I'm in KS, which is normally 2-3 days via snail mail, and haven't received anything yet.

I'm not really in a hurry just curious if my beer arrived in one piece or not.  I packaged the crap out of it but it was my first time shipping a beer.

From what I have heard dallas is emailing scoresheets. They started Monday and went in ascending order of number of entries per entrant (at least roughly) and expected to be done with everyone who had entered fewer than ten by the weekend. As I entered more than ten, I have not gotten mine and do not expect to for a few more days. If your bottles arrived broken you likely would have gotten an email and an opportunity (if there was time left before the deadline) to reship. I would guess you'll get the email relatively soon.

Offline green_dragon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2011, 01:44:43 pm »
Well I just have the one entry so I should be getting in soon then.  I'll double check my spam folder.

Offline brandon

• Cellarman
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2011, 09:48:40 pm »
Wanted to let you know I am just waiting on the Cider scores. All Nashville judging is complete and all scores entered into the DB except ciders.

Getting good cider judges together at once was a task as most of the good cider people around here had entered that category. The AHA should have all our scores Saturday afternoon.
www.EMBRACEtheFUNK.com <---My Sour Beer Website

Offline lgharis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2011, 10:02:04 pm »
As organizer of the DFW judging site, I emailed some of the scoresheets until I realized that was going to take too long to do them all.  I will be emailing the remaining scoresheets this weekend, Apr. 30/May1.  You should receive yours by mid-week and no later than the end of next week.

Edited to add:  If you were not notified that we did not receive your entries they arrived just fine and in good shape.

Leroy Gharis
DFW Organzer
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:04:00 pm by lgharis »

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2011, 10:26:39 am »
Wanted to let you know I am just waiting on the Cider scores. All Nashville judging is complete and all scores entered into the DB except ciders.

Getting good cider judges together at once was a task as most of the good cider people around here had entered that category. The AHA should have all our scores Saturday afternoon.

Thanks (sincerely) for contemplating the appropriateness of the judges to the category they are judging. I am amazed at how often that is overlooked (though sometimes the judges don't do the organizer any favors, if you hate sour beers, indicate that you don't want to judge 17 when you register).

And thanks for the update Leroy.

Offline brandon

• Cellarman
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2011, 08:35:06 pm »
Well its only right and fair to make sure all entries are given their fair shake.

Wanted to update I have the cider scores. Will have them entered after the kiddo is asleep.

Offline lgharis

• 1st Kit
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2011, 09:12:37 am »
All remaining DFW scoresheets were mailed on Saturday.

Leroy Gharis
DFW Organizer

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 06:00:48 am »

Leroy Gharis
DFW Organizer
FWIW, considering I had the DFW winners list and scoresheets for all 6 of my entries by last Saturday and most folks in my homebrew club haven't gotten anything (they all submitted to Nashville), I think you guys did a great job (except for a couple of mini-bos's where you picked the wrong beer  ;D).

Offline sheets

• 1st Kit
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 06:47:35 pm »
So all of the regions should be done by now right? does anyone know when the official results will be posted?

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2011, 06:48:54 pm »
So all of the regions should be done by now right? does anyone know when the official results will be posted?

Sounds like Saratoga isn't quite done yet:  http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=7238.0

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline brandon

• Cellarman
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:01 pm »

Leroy Gharis
DFW Organizer
FWIW, considering I had the DFW winners list and scoresheets for all 6 of my entries by last Saturday and most folks in my homebrew club haven't gotten anything (they all submitted to Nashville), I think you guys did a great job (except for a couple of mini-bos's where you picked the wrong beer  ;D).

Wow way to compliment and backhand in the same sentence  ::)

Offline spointon

• 1st Kit
  • It's never too late in the day to brew great beer.
    • You Can Brew It!
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2011, 11:55:21 pm »
I hope I don't get crucified for this and also that I am not missing anything obvious, but why is it that no results can be released until all results can be released?  The reason stated is always "fairness" but forgive me I can't figure that out.  What is unfair about releasing the results as they are processed?  Is it simply because the folks submitting to the locations that judged later in the month might become jealous of the good fortune of those who received their scores earlier by submitting to an earlier completing location?  That sounds sort of petty so I don't want to believe that.  This is my first NHC so bear with me on this...

Offline tonygiannasi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2011, 09:19:33 am »
No worries man, the reason for the delay is such that everyone finds out at once, so no one gets an advantage if they have to re-brew a batch.  (This is kind of shorted out by people getting their scoresheets early...)

Another reason is so that people enter their designated region, and everyone doesn't flood a well organized / fast reporting region.  (Again, this only works if people stay quiet about their scoresheets.)

Lastly, I think it puts the fire under the rear ends of the competitions that are later in the month / trying to finish up if they know that the whole NATION is waiting instead of just one region.

That's the best reasons I can think of.

Offline green_dragon

• 1st Kit
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2011, 07:37:15 am »
Got my TX score sheet yesterday.  I did pretty good, specially considering I'm a beginner.  Both judges confirmed the sour aftertaste that only I was able to detect.  No one in my beer club or circle of friends could taste the sour aftertaste.  It's a mild aftertaste, but it's there.  Glad to know I'm not crazy (well about that anyhow).

Thanks for all the hard work everyone down there in TX!