Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Nelson Sauvin hops  (Read 10792 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Nelson Sauvin hops
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:25:29 am »
A little birdie told me to try to dry hop equal parts Nelson Sauvin, Simcoe and Amarillo hops the next time I do an IIPA. Simcoe and Amarillo I can get, but Nelson Sauvin seem to only be available in Austrailia/New Zealand. Anybody know purveyors in the States/Canada or Europe?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Nelson Sauvin hops
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:40:00 am »
I had about as much luck when trying to find Galaxy hops.  Our pals from down under must be using them all.  Not that I blame them.  Good stuff.

I did go to a German-style brewpub in Australia (I think it was in Canberra) that used Nelson Sauvin in a blend of three hops, the result being something that I swore were proper German noble hops.  I didn't write down the combination because I couldn't get the hops, but I was just amazed at what the people down there were doing.  I just loved that they were willing to try ideas like that (hop substitution) based on what they had available.  They're not short on creativity or talent.

We do see some NZ hops, so I'm hoping the situation will change.

CraftBrewer in Australia will sell them.  Rebel Brewer in the states seems to get them occasionally.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 06:27:35 am »
I had about as much luck when trying to find Galaxy hops.  Our pals from down under must be using them all.  Not that I blame them.  Good stuff.

I did go to a German-style brewpub in Australia (I think it was in Canberra) that used Nelson Sauvin in a blend of three hops, the result being something that I swore were proper German noble hops.  I didn't write down the combination because I couldn't get the hops, but I was just amazed at what the people down there were doing.  I just loved that they were willing to try ideas like that (hop substitution) based on what they had available.  They're not short on creativity or talent.

We do see some NZ hops, so I'm hoping the situation will change.

CraftBrewer in Australia will sell them.  Rebel Brewer in the states seems to get them occasionally.

Yup, I just bought a few hundred grams for a IIPA I'm gonna try, but $0.10 AUD per gram is preeeetty ridiculous. Plus shipping, oof. There goes my brewing budget for the month. But I got Simcoe, Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin so I'm not gonna complain. Seems like a good shop.
----

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:53:31 am »
I recently got some from here.

They usually have a nice selection of organic hops.  Not sure of your schedule, but the new crop should be arriving soon.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:03:54 am »
I recently got some from here.

They usually have a nice selection of organic hops.  Not sure of your schedule, but the new crop should be arriving soon.

Sadly they don't ship to Europe.
----

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 04:39:02 am »
Rebel Brewer advertised a new crop coming in in February 2011 but it never showed up.

Thanks for the link pinnah, just ordered 6oz and a few other varieties.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 06:01:21 am »
We just recently started seeing the Drifter Pale Ale from Widmer in the stores here and I really like it.  It's hopped with Nelson Sauvin.  Next time I brew an APA I might try something like that.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 03:08:42 pm »
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 03:31:37 pm »
Clint
Wort Hogs

beveragebob

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 04:40:22 pm »
OP is in France

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 01:13:16 am »
They have them here - http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/nelson-sauvin-vacuum-packed-leaf-hops-100-gms.html

Looks like they don't ship to the US.

OP asked for Europe, but I guess others might want them in the US. If you are really desparate for them, you can have them shipped to me and I'll organize sending them on from the UK to the US.
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2011, 09:00:10 am »
OP asked for Europe, but I guess others might want them in the US. If you are really desparate for them, you can have them shipped to me and I'll organize sending them on from the UK to the US.

They list them available in 5kg amounts.  Somebody could probably set up a group buy and make a few people on this side of the lake pretty happy.

I just brewed a wheat pale with amarillo and NS.  I'm hoping it's not too incredible given the scarcity of these two right now.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2011, 12:11:12 pm »

They list them available in 5kg amounts.  Somebody could probably set up a group buy and make a few people on this side of the lake pretty happy.

I just brewed a wheat pale with amarillo and NS.  I'm hoping it's not too incredible given the scarcity of these two right now.

Anyone want in? I've just organized a group buy of hops for my club and would be game to do it again.
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 05:15:09 pm »
I would be interested.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2011, 01:22:04 am »

Anyone want in? I've just organized a group buy of hops for my club and would be game to do it again.

I'm interested.
----