Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 2112  (Read 15080 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Wyeast 2112
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2011, 10:39:22 am »

And Canada gave us Neil Young.  'Nuff said.

Yeah that's true, and we've been trying to give him back for the last 45 years.

gmac I think your hydrometer will tell a happy tale.  From what you describe it sounds like fermentation to me.  Lager yeast are "bottom fermenters."
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2011, 11:02:57 am »
Sigh....

How did this thread go off the rails so quickly?  Oh well, I work in the US so I learned a long time ago how to deal with Americans...
;D I live in Seattle and learned to deal with Canadians a long time ago too.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2011, 02:09:37 pm »
So I took a bunch of gravities this afternoon.  This all seems so weird.

ESB - brewed March 30, OG 1.054 - Today 1.022 - fermenting at cellar temp - 65 degrees
Cali Common - Brewed April 7 OG 1.060 - Today 1.026 - in water bath in cellar - 60 degree water bath
Cali Common - Brewed April 14 OG 1.044 - Today 1.014 - fermenting at cellar temp - 65 degrees

So, this one that I'm not seeing any activity on has dropped by 40 points in 4 days while the one that is 2 weeks old (and admittedly a bit colder) hasn't dropped 40 points in 2 weeks.  And the ESB that I'd really like to be drinking right now is going even slower. 

I tasted them all and they all taste fantastic so someday I hope to be enjoying them but right now I'm growing impatient.  I can't even brew again because I was planning on harvesting the ESB yeast for the next batch. 
I am going to have to break down and buy beer...

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2011, 02:35:31 pm »
I tasted them all and they all taste fantastic so someday I hope to be enjoying them but right now I'm growing impatient.  I can't even brew again because I was planning on harvesting the ESB yeast for the next batch.  
I am going to have to break down and buy beer...

NOOOOOooooo.....

What yeast on the ESB?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2011, 02:44:32 pm »
Wyeast London Ale lll on the ESB.  Not sure the #.

Checked my other brew, a maibock done on March 22.  OG 1.062, Today 1.022 but this spent a lot of time at about 34 degrees in the cold room so I expect it to be going slow.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011, 06:40:28 pm »

I like YYZ so much I named a computer after it.

I like beer better, so that's how I name mine (though their names are secretly variants of %&#&*%^$# ).  I was on a low budget project and needed to steal servers (I didn't have my own hardware money) and I found a full but disused half-rack in the server room.  They had names like Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean, etc.  I stole them and renamed them with a nod to the real MJ.  They became Left Hand, Wynkoop, Avery, Odell, and ... Coors.  That last one was our old slow beast that everyone hated but was cheap and had huge storage capacity built in.

Back to the topic, the exact same thing happened to me a little over a year ago.  Turned out there was a small crack on the edge of the lid that had gone unnoticed.  That's when I fully switched from buckets to carboys for primary.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline Tristan

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bastage Inc.
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 10:18:27 am »

Some people find they need to rouse the yeast every day with this strain and some of the other highly floculant english strains.  You might give that a shot.
Bastage Brewery:
Primary: ESB
Kegged: Baltic Porter|Blackened Doo Doo|CAP|German Pils|Infinity India Black Ale|Maibock|Munich Dunkel|Panty Raid APA|Schwartzbier|Turbo Coffee Porter
Next: Sweet Bidness Stout|Bastagewine

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2011, 10:30:26 am »
For the batches ranging in the 1.020's try warming them up a bit to around 70 degrees and then gently rouse the yeast. Check the gravity after a couple days and let us know the results. Sometimes yeast will flocculate too soon if the temps get too low for them depending on yeast stain and other variables.

I use to play in a RUSH tribute band many moons ago and my favorite song to play was YYZ. Although we never performed it live because it was too difficult for the drummer to lay down all the timing and groove changes as Neal is "the man".  8)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2011, 10:55:52 am »
I use to play in a RUSH tribute band many moons ago and my favorite song to play was YYZ. Although we never performed it live because it was too difficult for the drummer to lay down all the timing and groove changes as Neal is "the man".  8)
Were you Geddy or Alex?  What was your band's name?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2011, 11:16:27 am »
I gave the carboy a good swirling, hopefully that will wake the yeast up a bit.  I'll try to raise the temp a bit too.  I'll maybe give them a swirl again tomorrow and see what's going on. 

Rush is one of my bucket list bands.  Never seen them but probably should before they kick the bucket.  Personally La Villa Strangiato (spelling?) is higher on my list than YYZ.  If anyone is ever flying to Canada, it's easy to remember because YYZ is the airport code for Toronto.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2011, 11:51:28 am »

Some people find they need to rouse the yeast every day with this strain and some of the other highly floculant english strains.  You might give that a shot.

Agreed.  I have used this before (WY1318) and in my experience, it took forever to ferment out and clear.
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2011, 03:30:34 pm »
Rush is one of my bucket list bands.  Never seen them but probably should before they kick the bucket.  Personally La Villa Strangiato (spelling?) is higher on my list than YYZ.  If anyone is ever flying to Canada, it's easy to remember because YYZ is the airport code for Toronto.

Saw them in '80 (Permanent Waves), '81 (Moving Pictures), '82 (Signals).  Moving Pictures is still one of my favs.  Wore the grooves out of that one.

La Villa Strangiato and YYZ.  Gee, what do those have in common that makes them great songs?

Anyone notice how the riff in La Villa Strangiato sounds like the theme played in the old Bugs Bunny episode with the big hairy orange monster in the haunted house?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2011, 07:37:47 pm »

Geddy Lee...the band's name was Coliseum. Some of the most dynamic music I ever had the opportunity to play. AFAIAC...Rush is one of the greatest rock trios ever to grace the planet.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 12:20:45 am »

Geddy Lee...the band's name was Coliseum. Some of the most dynamic music I ever had the opportunity to play. AFAIAC...Rush is one of the greatest rock trios ever to grace the planet.
Nice. :)  I always thought a great name for a Rush tribute band would be "Glory".  Any guesses why?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2011, 01:32:16 am »

Nice. :)  I always thought a great name for a Rush tribute band would be "Glory".  Any guesses why?

That's the nickname for Wyeast 2112?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907