Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 2112  (Read 15079 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Wyeast 2112
« on: April 15, 2011, 10:10:39 am »
Is this yeast slow to get going?  I pitched some about 18 hours ago and no activity that I can see.  Not worried yet but I just wondered if this is common for this yeast.
I pitched the yeast from a 3L starter that I prepared from a previous starter.  Visually it appeared to be a pretty good amount based on how much sediment I got when I made the original starter with the smack pack. 
For those of you who've used this yeast, how long would you expect to wait to see some activity?  Just want to know when I can start worrying.  I can't RDWHAHB - no HB on hand.
Thanks

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Wyeast 2112
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 10:14:59 am »
Can't speak to that yeast in particular but if no HB RDWHACB (Commercial brew). Wouildn't worry yet
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:14:39 pm »
I'm curious, too, as I made a two 1500ml starters of 2112 last night for a brew on Saturday. I've used this yeast once before, but it's been so long ago that I can't recall much. The fact that I can't recall much makes me think nothing out of the ordinary happened.  Whenever I think of this yeast, I'm reminded of Rush.  And I hate Rush.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:17:04 pm by Rhoobarb »
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 01:25:28 pm »
I'm curious, too, as I made a two 1500ml starters of 2112 last night for a brew on Saturday. I've used this yeast once before, but it's been so long ago that I can't recall much. The fact that I can't recall much makes me think nothing out of the ordinary happened.  Whenever I think of this yeast, I'm reminded of Rush.  And I hate Rush.

Hey!  How can you hate Rush?  They f'n rock! 

Who do you like?  Justin Beiber?  The Jonas Bros?  Hannah Montanna?  ;)  lol
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:27:00 pm by Beer Monger »
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:52:39 pm »
Who do you like?  Justin Beiber?  The Jonas Bros?  Hannah Montanna?
Who? ;D  Never heard 'em before.  Why, are they on your I-Pod right now? ;)  Nope, never a Rush fan.  I was more into New Wave/Power pop/Pop-punk back in the day. Pretenders, Cheap Trick, Cars and that ilk.

Back to the question at hand, what temp are you at? I'm planning to ferment ~60oF
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 01:57:10 pm »
Who? ;D  Never heard 'em before.  Why, are they on your I-Pod right now? ;)  Nope, never a Rush fan.  I was more into New Wave/Power pop/Pop-punk back in the day. Pretenders, Cheap Trick, Cars and that ilk.

Back to the question at hand, what temp are you at? I'm planning to ferment ~60oF

That should work.  The temp range for that yeast is 58 - 68 degrees.  You could even go a bit colder than 60. 

(P.S.  Rush RULES!  lol) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:00:08 pm »
RUSH ROCKS!
Phoenix, AZ

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 02:10:03 pm »
And the yeeeeeeeast shaaaaaall innnnnherrrrrrit theeee earrrrrrrth...
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:32:55 pm »
Back to OP.
You are pitching it at lower temp so you should pitch more yeast.
Lagers and Hybrids have longer lag time.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 10:07:06 pm »

First to address the Rush issue.  I have a long-standing opinion that most women hate Rush.  I'll make the assumption that this applies in this case.  Personally, I love Rush and the fact that they are Canadian makes it even better.  Of course, so is Justin Beiber so there goes that logic out the window...

I am fermenting two batches right now, the first is in a water bath with a towel wrapped around it.  I'm not bothering with ice but the temp of the water is about 56-58 so the beer is likely about 60.  This second on is in a cold corner of the room without the water bath because I don't have another tub right now and it is probably 62 in the room so maybe 64 for the beer.  I actually wanted to see if there was any difference between the two given the temp.  My last one was done at 60 and turned out very good.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 10:15:54 am »
First to address the Rush issue.  I have a long-standing opinion that most women hate Rush.  I'll make the assumption that this applies in this case.  Personally, I love Rush and the fact that they are Canadian makes it even better.  Of course, so is Justin Beiber so there goes that logic out the window...

Toss Celine Dion in there too and that logic is really trashed
Joe

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 10:21:55 am »

Most of us don't acknowledge Celine.  As far as I know, she's an alien who just claimed to be from Canada for the health care.

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 10:29:21 am »
Member #: 900000767

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 10:46:26 am »

Most of us don't acknowledge Celine.  As far as I know, she's an alien who just claimed to be from Canada for the health care.

I should be clear, I mean outer space alien, not illegal alien, like from another planet.  Probably Uranus.

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 11:49:07 am »

I should be clear, I mean outer space alien, not illegal alien, like from another planet.  Probably Uranus.
"Let us not forget that this is not the first troubling thing to come from Canada..." "Now now, the Canadian government has apologized for Bryan Adams on many occasions>"
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.