Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New brewery  (Read 7748 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: New brewery
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 04:43:15 pm »
  I did forget to mention, that a floor drain is already planned. Also, Despite what I said earlier, I am now stepping up to 10x8. Been keeping my eye on Craigslist for a SS sink. Not sure why, I don't have the coin yet. When the time comes, I may just have to go with a two bowl laundry tub. Is hot water really that big a deal? I was considering a small water heater, tankless is just not in the budget. But, then I decided I could just save the water from my chiller. All I really need hot water for is cleaning my boil kettle. Maybe I will have to reconsider. I could plug it in the night before, and be ready to go the next morning. Now I'm second guessing myself. I also really like the idea of an overhead sprayer. Think I'm going to steal that one.

And yes, the brewery has a name. Rocky Mountain Buckeye.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 09:04:43 pm »
I don't have the hot water, but I've been plotting how to get it in my brew area.  I do sometimes use an electric turkey fryer to have hot water on hand, but that ain't nothing compared to a more usable amount of hot water under house pressure.

I can't believe you didn't go with Men Who Wear Skirts.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 09:31:34 pm »
Well, belive it!  ;D

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing you are saying with the turkey fryer. I'll put a valve on the kettle, and keep it stored over head. Won't be preassurized, but gravity fed will be better than nothing.

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 09:41:50 pm »
How about a good exhaust hood to vent all the steam?  Do you still have the one from the ol' Three Taverns?
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

narvin

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:03:25 pm »
Perhaps some heat for the winter?

If you have a big air vent on the floor, you can walk over it and your skirt will blow up.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:52:01 pm »
Oh yeah, the mancave has heat and a/c. No doubt about that.

Offline Will's Swill

• Brewer
  • Secretly likes wine...
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 03:11:54 pm »
   I was actually thinking of doing the same thing you are saying with the turkey fryer. I'll put a valve on the kettle, and keep it stored over head. Won't be preassurized, but gravity fed will be better than nothing.

Yep, that's exactly what I do.  The fryer has a 1/2" valve and I put it on the top tier of my brewstand.  My initial thought was to use it to clear my pumps and chiller of wort goodness, and it does work for the chiller, but my pump doesn't like to reprime from the fryer.  So I don't use it all that often as it turns out to be kind of a PITA.  However, I've been considering the addition of a portable sink to the brewing area, and I may recommission the turkey fryer to feed a hot water to that.  Haven't decided if all that is worth the effort, though.
Is that a counter-pressure bottle filler in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 03:50:37 pm »
How about a good exhaust hood to vent all the steam?  Do you still have the one from the ol' Three Taverns?

I do not have my old hood. Would not work in my new set up, even if I did. Honestly, I'm not that worried about a hood here. It is so drry here, any moisture is sucked up almost immediatly. I will install a fart fan or two. And, of course, I will keep the windows open when the burners are on. As far as moisture collecting like it did in Ohio, I'm not worried about it right now, until trial proves me otherwise.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 06:21:17 pm »
As far as a tankless goes, they have "point of use" models for just that, low flow rates that could pre-empt
the propane burners. Defenitely not cheap but electric can cut some of your propane consumption. Might
start to  make up the cost after about 20 batches...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 07:36:19 pm »
I really would love to use a taankless, but way out of my budget. CRrap, the water hearter alone would cost more than the brewery. I reeally would like to go electric, but I am limited to 40 amps out here. Really can't even swap the breaker out fora 60, because when I wired it, I only ran 8ga wire from the main box.Poor planning on my part, I know. I'm paying for it now.  :-[

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 01:30:15 am »
  I did forget to mention, that a floor drain is already planned. Also, Despite what I said earlier, I am now stepping up to 10x8. Been keeping my eye on Craigslist for a SS sink. Not sure why, I don't have the coin yet. When the time comes, I may just have to go with a two bowl laundry tub. Is hot water really that big a deal? I was considering a small water heater, tankless is just not in the budget. But, then I decided I could just save the water from my chiller. All I really need hot water for is cleaning my boil kettle. Maybe I will have to reconsider. I could plug it in the night before, and be ready to go the next morning. Now I'm second guessing myself. I also really like the idea of an overhead sprayer. Think I'm going to steal that one.

And yes, the brewery has a name. Rocky Mountain Buckeye.

BUCKEYES??? That's it, I'm naming my brewery "The Hawkeye Brewery."
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 09:35:45 am »

Are you from IA?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 10:03:44 am »

Are you from IA?

Nope, but Loyola didn't have a football team so I'm an adopted Iowa fan.
----

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 10:58:31 am »

Are you from IA?

Just curious....I grew up in IA and both my mom and dad went to UI.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 05:58:51 am »

Are you from IA?

Just curious....I grew up in IA and both my mom and dad went to UI.

Every person I know who went there is pretty awesome. Had I been smarter I probably would have gone there and paid wayyy less and gotten more out of it. Oh well
----