Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Post your local Gas Prices here...  (Read 26309 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Post your local Gas Prices here...
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2011, 11:30:51 am »
 :D at Darkside!   Now thats too Funny!! 

Yeh, I guess it would depend on how much is a little etc?  I have to admit I don't know jack squat about hydrogen... how much can we get from a gallon of water anyway?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2011, 11:37:43 am »

Yeh, I guess it would depend on how much is a little etc?  I have to admit I don't know jack squat about hydrogen... how much can we get from a gallon of water anyway?

Well, since water is 2 hydrogens to an oxygen, maybe 2/3 of a gal. would be a reasonable guess?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:38 pm »
So sooner or later we will all have to quit brewing beer if we use water to extract they hydrogen right... I mean water shortage or perceived water shortage?

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »

Well, since water is 2 hydrogens to an oxygen, maybe 2/3 of a gal. would be a reasonable guess?

Well... no, for several reasons. One reason is hydrogen is a gas, and as such is highly compressible.  Water is a liquid and is very nearly incompressible.  Comparing volumes of hydrogen to volumes of water is complicated.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2011, 12:31:03 am »

Well... no, for several reasons. One reason is hydrogen is a gas, and as such is highly compressible.  Water is a liquid and is very nearly incompressible.  Comparing volumes of hydrogen to volumes of water is complicated.
But it's for that reason that Denny is absolutely right!  A gallon of water is 2/3 gallon of hydrogen (given the proper pressure and temperature). ;)
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2011, 05:28:49 am »

But it's for that reason that Denny is absolutely right!  A gallon of water is 2/3 gallon of hydrogen (given the proper pressure and temperature). ;)

Sorry, but you can't relate the volume of water with that of hydrogen. Punatic is correct.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2011, 07:05:39 am »
Come on guys...let's not split atoms  :P
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2011, 07:18:16 am »

Unless they can come up w/ something like "Mr. Fusion" so we could run our cars on the energy it produced!  ;) 

Hey!  I guess Miller Lite IS good for something!  Go Dr. Brown!
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2011, 09:14:25 am »
Sorry, Beer Monger... but thats NOT Miller Lite.... thats Miller High Life in the pic.   ;)   ;D

Punatic and CCarlson... I'm a refrigeration guy so P/T is almost second nature to me and what you two said is exactly why it confuses me.   ???

Offline punatic

« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2011, 10:45:09 am »

Oh... allright.  But splitting molecules is OK, yah?   ;D

And ideally,  it's PV=nRT.   ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2011, 11:31:45 am »
Gas prices jumped up 11₵/gal overnight here last night..

$4.18→ $4.29

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2011, 11:57:37 am »
:D at Darkside!   Now thats too Funny!!  

Yeh, I guess it would depend on how much is a little etc?  I have to admit I don't know jack squat about hydrogen... how much can we get from a gallon of water anyway?

Well... no, for several reasons. One reason is hydrogen is a gas, and as such is highly compressible.  Water is a liquid and is very nearly incompressible.  Comparing volumes of hydrogen to volumes of water is complicated.
But it's for that reason that Denny is absolutely right!  A gallon of water is 2/3 gallon of hydrogen (given the proper pressure and temperature). ;)

Sorry, but you can't relate the volume of water with that of hydrogen. Punatic is correct.
Yes, he is correct that it is complicated.  But of course you can relate the two.

I'm not using actual numbers right now, but if we assume 1 gallon of pure water at a given temp, that will be n moles of water.  When split, that will give n moles of H2.  PV=nRT.  If V = 2/3 gallon, n is what was calculated, R is a constant.  The only variables left are pressure and temperature.

So as I said "Denny is absolutely right!  A gallon of water is 2/3 gallon of hydrogen (given the proper pressure and temperature). ;)"
Tom Schmidlin

ccarlson

« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2011, 02:52:05 pm »
:D at Darkside!   Now thats too Funny!!  

Yeh, I guess it would depend on how much is a little etc?  I have to admit I don't know jack squat about hydrogen... how much can we get from a gallon of water anyway?

Well... no, for several reasons. One reason is hydrogen is a gas, and as such is highly compressible.  Water is a liquid and is very nearly incompressible.  Comparing volumes of hydrogen to volumes of water is complicated.
But it's for that reason that Denny is absolutely right!  A gallon of water is 2/3 gallon of hydrogen (given the proper pressure and temperature). ;)

Yes, he is correct that it is complicated.  But of course you can relate the two.

I'm not using actual numbers right now, but if we assume 1 gallon of pure water at a given temp, that will be n moles of water.  When split, that will give n moles of H2.  PV=nRT.  If V = 2/3 gallon, n is what was calculated, R is a constant.  The only variables left are pressure and temperature.

So as I said "Denny is absolutely right!  A gallon of water is 2/3 gallon of hydrogen (given the proper pressure and temperature). ;)"

That's kind of like saying a gallon of sugar will produce a gallon of cotton candy. Uhhhh, nope.

The correct answer is that a gallon of water will produce approximately 4700 liters of hydrogen. You could say you will compress that to 2/3 of a gallon, but I could argue that you could compress it to 4000, 3000, 2000, liters, etc, That answer is meaningless.

If you went to your gas station  and paid for 1 gallon of gas and you only ended up with a few drops you wouldn't be very happy.  But what if the owner told you that you purchased 1 gallon of gas vapor, would you feel any better?  :)

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2011, 04:35:12 pm »
I appeal to Denny to amend his answer to "2/3 of the total". ;D

Sir, the floor is tended to you....
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2011, 05:05:56 pm »
The correct answer is that a gallon of water will produce approximately 4700 liters of hydrogen. You could say you will compress that to 2/3 of a gallon, but I could argue that you could compress it to 4000, 3000, 2000, liters, etc, That answer is meaningless.
It isn't meaningless at all - given a pressure, volume, and temperature it is a precise amount of gas.  In fact, your answer of 4700 liters is just as "meaningless", because you have not specified pressure and temperature. 

Obviously the volume can be pretty much whatever you like, I never said it made practical sense to think of it that way.  The point was to make sure Denny was right.  And he is, under the right circumstances. ;)  Just accept that Denny was right and we can move on.  ;D
Tom Schmidlin