Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What happened to this lightbulb?  (Read 8850 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
What happened to this lightbulb?
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:35:21 am »
Had it blow out in the oven hood light fixture last night. Looks pretty nuts. Anybody seen anything like this before? What might be the problem?

I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
Re: What happened to this lightbulb?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:30 am »
Had it blow out in the oven hood light fixture last night. Looks pretty nuts. Anybody seen anything like this before? What might be the problem?

What you're seeing is evidence of electricity arcing between the gap between the light socket and the light bulb base. The heat generated by the arc has melted the metal. It's possible that the fan in the oven hood vibrated the light bulb loose, creating conditions for the arc. If you noticed your light flashing on and off before it died, heard sounds of sparking (buzzing or popping) or smelled something like burnt metal or electrical fire, you were detecting signs of arcing. I had a similar situation with a bulb mounted in an improperly mounted ceiling fan.

I'm not an electrician, but I think you've got a potential fire hazard there. You might need to replace the light socket and/or remount the hood to minimize vibration. You might also need have an electrician check out your electrical system for surges, improperly installed or rated fuses, or loose wiring.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 01:55:38 am by thomasbarnes »

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:18:11 am »

What you're seeing is evidence of electricity arcing between the gap between the light socket and the light bulb base. The heat generated by the arc has melted the metal. It's possible that the fan in the oven hood vibrated the light bulb loose, creating conditions for the arc. If you noticed your light flashing on and off before it died, heard sounds of sparking (buzzing or popping) or smelled something like burnt metal or electrical fire, you were detecting signs of arcing. I had a similar situation with a bulb mounted in an improperly mounted ceiling fan.

I'm not an electrician, but I think you've got a potential fire hazard there. You might need to replace the light socket and/or remount the hood to minimize vibration. You might also need have an electrician check out your electrical system for surges, improperly installed or rated fuses, or loose wiring.

that all sounds reasonable. could be. but..... maybe it was the Rapture?
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:14:11 am »

that all sounds reasonable. could be. but..... maybe it was the Rapture?

Rapture, no. Ikea, yes. Although sometimes I think Ikea is Swedish for Antichrist.

Anyway, I'll tell the landlord. Sounds like we gotta get this fixed. Thanks guys!
----

ccarlson

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:53:52 am »
I'm surprised you didn't have a lot of trouble unscrewing it from its socket. .

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:01:04 am »
I would investigate the possibility of moisture and corrosion due to water presence.
Dissimilar metals i.e. the socket material and the bulb base material can definately
corrode when they are in close contact. Water adds to the possibility.  If corrosion
occured that could have begun the process of weakening the metal base in that
type of a pattern, the electricity simply took the most direct route with the least
resistance.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 08:21:01 am »
I'm surprised you didn't have a lot of trouble unscrewing it from its socket. .

The wife did :-D
----

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:05:21 am »
Stupid French. Can't even get a lightbul right!  ;D  (I can say this. I'm French!)
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 11:14:29 am »
Looks like Bender and a floodlight had a baby to me.

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 08:39:55 pm »
Bulb worms.......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 01:21:17 am »
Bulb worms.......

Can I take care of this with some soapy water like i did for the aphids?
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 01:23:17 am »
Stupid French. Can't even get a lightbul right!  ;D  (I can say this. I'm French!)

Sans blague? Pourquoi n'avez-toi pas dit plus tôt! A partir de maintenant on allons seulement écrire en français, OK?
----

Offline thomasbarnes

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:27:22 am »
I would investigate the possibility of moisture and corrosion due to water presence.

That's a possibility, especially if you're doing big long wort boils on the stove top. I'd expect more discoloration from corrosion, though, especially near the top of the bulb. The clean, closely-placed pits still look like arcing to me, although perhaps it was a combination of water vapor getting into the bulb, which then triggered arcing. Either way, the light socket needs to be looked at.

If Phil can get look at the inside of the light socket, he can tell for sure if it's damaged. If it is, there might be small cones or beads of metal from the lightbulb on the inside of the socket. Like I said, I had a similar problem with an overhead fan/light combination.

It also occurs to me that since Europe (mostly) uses 220 volt household current, that there might be more risk of arcing and whatnot than on 110 volt systems, but I'd have no way of knowing.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 03:52:10 am »

That's a possibility, especially if you're doing big long wort boils on the stove top. I'd expect more discoloration from corrosion, though, especially near the top of the bulb. The clean, closely-placed pits still look like arcing to me, although perhaps it was a combination of water vapor getting into the bulb, which then triggered arcing. Either way, the light socket needs to be looked at.

If Phil can get look at the inside of the light socket, he can tell for sure if it's damaged. If it is, there might be small cones or beads of metal from the lightbulb on the inside of the socket. Like I said, I had a similar problem with an overhead fan/light combination.

It also occurs to me that since Europe (mostly) uses 220 volt household current, that there might be more risk of arcing and whatnot than on 110 volt systems, but I'd have no way of knowing.

I never do my boils on the stovetop - not enough power, too much mess - but we do cook a lot of pasta. That might do it. I'll check on the inside of the socket tonight.
----

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 07:39:18 am »
Je suis né dans Fountainbleu et je ne peux pas parler ou écrire le français

One more reason I love the internet   8)
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.