Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Read any good book lately?  (Read 32306 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Read any good book lately?
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2012, 07:51:52 pm »
Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove.

First time you read it? Be sure and read the other 3. They're just as good.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »

The best western ever written, and one of my favorite novels of all time.  I've heard mixed reviews of his other books from the series, so I've avoided them.  I don't want anything to tarnish my Lonesome Dove!   ;)
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2012, 08:36:57 pm »
Finished "Dance With Dragons" by George R. R. Martin last week, and this weekend I read an interesting sci-fi book called "The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman.
I read "The Forever War" forever ago. Late 70s.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline summy

• Cellarman
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Star City Brewers Guild
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2012, 08:41:05 pm »
Harlan Coben is really good.  Especially the series with Myron Bolitar as the main character.  My wife had been recommending him to me for years, and I finally read one last summer.  Actually, I read them ALL.  They are that good!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
Fementing:
  *Primary -
  *Lagering -

On Tap
 *BPA
 *Denny's BVIP
 *Brunch Stout

In Bottles
 *IIPA
 *RyeIPA
 *Black IPA
 *Red IPA
 *White IPA (entered an all-IPA competition)
  *Kolsch

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2012, 02:02:37 am »
Part of what I do for a living/for fun is Hawaiian hydrogeology.  Here is what I'm reading tonight: Geology and Groundwater Resources of the Island of Hawaii

Even though it was written 66 years ago, I am familiar with most of the formations referenced.  I love this s***!

Please see my signature below.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline summy

• Cellarman
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Star City Brewers Guild
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2012, 05:51:11 am »
I'm reading his (Jeff Shaara) newest one right now, "A Blaze of Glory:  A Novel of the Battle of Shiloh".  I've read all of his books, love em all!

Fementing:
  *Primary -
  *Lagering -

On Tap
 *BPA
 *Denny's BVIP
 *Brunch Stout

In Bottles
 *IIPA
 *RyeIPA
 *Black IPA
 *Red IPA
 *White IPA (entered an all-IPA competition)
  *Kolsch

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Read any good book lately?
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2012, 07:44:36 am »

The best western ever written, and one of my favorite novels of all time.  I've heard mixed reviews of his other books from the series, so I've avoided them.  I don't want anything to tarnish my Lonesome Dove!   ;)

You have to read "Comanche Moon" - almost as good as "Lonesome Dove", which is in my top 5 novels of all time. One hell of a yarn.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Read any good book lately?
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2012, 07:46:44 am »
I'm reading his (Jeff Shaara) newest one right now, "A Blaze of Glory:  A Novel of the Battle of Shiloh".  I've read all of his books, love em all!

I'm a big Shaara fan, still working through his WWII series (have the last one to read still). Saw that one on Shiloh the other day and definitely looking forward to it.

In fact, his father's book "Killer Angels" is probably in my top 10 favorite books.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2012, 12:18:53 pm »

You have to read "Comanche Moon" - almost as good as "Lonesome Dove", which is in my top 5 novels of all time. One hell of a yarn.
Oh dude, it was as good as! They all were. Read them in order. Lonesome Dove, Comanche Moon, Dead Mans Walk, Streets Of Laredo. I will say all the movies besides Lonesome Dove sucked. But the books, just great.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2012, 12:42:23 pm »

Oh dude, it was as good as! They all were. Read them in order. Lonesome Dove, Comanche Moon, Dead Mans Walk, Streets Of Laredo. I will say all the movies besides Lonesome Dove sucked. But the books, just great.

I didn't love SoL, it was "OK" but by far my least favorite. Lonesome Dove is a masterpiece IMO. Comanche Moon is great, but not a solid home run for me. To each his own.

But seriously, if you like LD you should check out the "Richard Sharpe" series mentioned above. Short novels, but they draw you into total absorption.

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2012, 08:25:23 pm »
Just finished Plague Ship yesterday and started Corsair.  Both are from Clive Cussler's Oregon series.

So far it's been a Clive Cussler summer for me.

I read all kinds of technical s*** too, but i do not necessarily reccomend that, unless you have insomnia.
I love Clive Cussler and Dirk Pitt.  Good stories.
I am working my way through Web Griffith as well as a couple Vince Flynn novels right now.  American Assasin was stellar. ;D

Offline punatic

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2012, 09:54:47 pm »
Mitch Rapp was my summer read for 2010.  I read Transfer of Power through Pursuit of Honor (10 books) back to back.

When The Last Man is released this fall I plan to read American AssassinKill Shot, and  The Last Man back to back.

Even though Term Limits is not a Mitch Rapp story, I enjoyed it too.  It was fun to go back and see Vince Flynn developing the stage and characters for his Mitch Rapp series.

I haven't read any Dirk Pitt stories yet.  I've gone through the Isaac Bell and Fargo series and am half way through the Oregon series.  Not quite Vince Flynn, but good stuff none the less.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2012, 09:07:31 am »
This makes me feel like I should go back and re-read all the Travis McGee's. Haven't done that in a little bit.

Of course, that makes me think of the fact that a Deep Blue Goodbye movie is in development... starring... Leonardo DiCaprio as Travis... NO!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2012, 09:52:57 am »
Mitch Rapp was my summer read for 2010.  I read Transfer of Power through Pursuit of Honor (10 books) back to back.

When The Last Man is released this fall I plan to read American AssassinKill Shot, and  The Last Man back to back.

Even though Term Limits is not a Mitch Rapp story, I enjoyed it too.  It was fun to go back and see Vince Flynn developing the stage and characters for his Mitch Rapp series.

I haven't read any Dirk Pitt stories yet.  I've gone through the Isaac Bell and Fargo series and am half way through the Oregon series.  Not quite Vince Flynn, but good stuff none the less.

Mitch Rapp is probably about my favorite charecter, right next to John Cory (Nelson Demille)  I'm just about through the whole series now. You're gonna love American Assassin. Very cool to see how he began.

Offline punatic

« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2012, 01:26:31 pm »
This makes me feel like I should go back and re-read all the Travis McGee's. Haven't done that in a little bit.

Of course, that makes me think of the fact that a Deep Blue Goodbye movie is in development... starring... Leonardo DiCaprio as Travis... NO!

Could have been Tom Cruise...   :o

AHA Life Member #33907