Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: really stupid question....  (Read 6535 times)

Offline kuroshio2

• 1st Kit
really stupid question....
« on: January 01, 2010, 09:27:36 pm »
a complete home brew virgin, i bought this fermentation bucket as part of a starter kit...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0028LXHNQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=471057153&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001PQU73S&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=108JGQMV4FG1DC5QXCK0

and these are the instructions... http://www.brew-it-yourself.co.uk/instructions/BrewBuddyStarter.pdf

am i being stupid or is the fact that it completely airtight with no fermentation lock not a problem?

where does the co2 go?

apologies if this is a really basic question, maybe i am missing something!

any advice very welcome...

thx

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
Re: really stupid question....
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:31:26 pm »
That is not a stupid question.  Is there a hole in the lid where you can put an airlock?  That's my only guess.  You should e-mail or call the seller (or manufacturer) and ask them where the airlock fits.  I also think it's a bit off that you don't boil the wort.  I know you don't have to, but there are advantages to boiling it.  You're off to a good start!  Good eye!  Keep it up.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

boulderbrewer

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 10:36:11 pm »
If there is no place to put an airlock, just put the lid on loosely and you should be fine the CO2 will find their way out.

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 11:14:45 pm »
No stupid questions here; welcome to what will likely be your new obsession, er, hobby!
Looking at the pictures and description, I'm wondering if there is a gasket under the bucket lid.  If not, it's likely not air/co2 tight and will easily dispel the built up pressure.  If there is a gasket, boulderbrewer is right on the money with the advice to just loosely affix the lid.
Good luck and have fun!
Gail

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:32:45 am »
Just buy a small grommet and an airlock.
Use a drillbit to make your hole, insert grommet into hole, airlock into grommet and you're all set.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline kuroshio2

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 03:45:42 am »
thanks for the advice. have decided to go with the manufacturer on this one and invest in a carboy for the next batch...

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
  • Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 05:06:01 pm »
invest in a carboy for the next batch...

Be very careful with glass carboys.  Over the years there have been reports of trips to the ER with severed arteries and tendons, and in the newest (I think) Zymurgy, a horror story about a brewer who nearly cut his hand off!  It was actually flipped back on his wrist.  [Shudder]

I've broken a few over the years with nothing lost but beer, but they still scare me.  I have an orange handle on the neck, but never lift by that alone, and keep them in plastic milk crates except when I have to take them out to rinse them after cleaning.

AHA Member since 1980, Life Member
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild charter member (1986)
AHA Governing Committee (2002 - 2011)
BJCP since 1991, National
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Offline karlh

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 10:01:54 pm »
Jeff's advice on careful handling of glass carboys is a good word of caution.  My horror story only involved a few stitches, around 500 bucks in copays, and a finger thats still a little numb a few years later.  I stopped using glass carboys (she who must be obeyed banned them from the house actually) after my incident, and I haven't missed them much.  I still dream about a 14 gallon conical one day....
Karl
Mundelein, IL  USA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 09:30:42 am »
Although I didn't have as bad a carboy experience as Karl, I did break 3 of them and lost gallons of double decocted pils.  That was the last time I used a carboy...it's either buckets or cornies for fermentation now.  After using buckets for several years and maybe 100+ batches, I've found absolutely no downsides to them.  In fact, I fInd them easier to clean and store than carboys.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 09:36:37 am »
...That was the last time I used a carboy...

And decocted a beer ;)

I have started switching to buckets as well. I just want to see if it makes my process easier or more enjoyable. I even cut a large hole into the lid onto which I place a sanitized glass pot lid. That allows me to see the Kraeusen since I do still like to see the beer fermenting.

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 09:38:14 am »
I broke my first carboy last year. Fortunately it happened while I was cleaning it and there were no injuries. They really have a great potential for disaster. I am extremely careful and cautious when handling them. Even with the orange handles and a harness, I am still leary about moving them. One should excercise precautions like long leather gloves, long pants, safety glasses and a Carhartt type jacket would suffice. This may sound like alot, but please heed to the warnings while using glass carboys.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:39:59 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 09:43:27 am »
...That was the last time I used a carboy...

And decocted a beer ;)

You devil!!   ;D

Actually, I do maybe one decoction a year still, just to see if it will change my opinion.  So far, it hasn't.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 10:00:13 am »
When I started brewing I was under the impression that glass was far superior than plastic. I have found though, that buckets are way easier to use-cleaning, storing, handling. Glass can weaken over time, and get bruised if bumped creating a weak spot. You should either use glass or better bottles if you are doing a secondary fermentation.

I really wish I had just a little bit bigger pot so I could do 8.5 gallon batches and ferment in 2 cornies!
Travis R.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 10:29:15 am »
I have a hard time justifying the use of a cornie for fermenting, how much finished beer do you end up with when fermenting in a 5 gallon cornie?   :-\

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 11:13:30 am »
I have a hard time justifying the use of a cornie for fermenting, how much finished beer do you end up with when fermenting in a 5 gallon cornie?   :-\

Maybe 4 gal.  But I use 10 gal. cornies.

www.dennybrew.com