Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: aspirations  (Read 5928 times)

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
aspirations
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:44:03 pm »
how far do you want to take your brewing career?  What goals do you have as a brewer? i personally want to open a brew pub in my hometown it would kill
when in rome we shall do as the romans.  When in hell we'll take shots at the bar

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
Re: aspirations
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 06:32:32 am »
I would love to go pro but the student loans for my current career (veterinarian) cost way to much for me to afford on a brewer's salary right now  :-[

Offline makemehoppy

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 06:52:07 am »
I plan to retire or at least work part time withing the next 5 years. I'd like to pick up a job at one of the 3 local brew pubs in my area.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:23:15 am »
I've already ruined 2 hobbies I loved (music and computers) by turning them into careers.  All I want out of homebrewing is to make great beer and enjoy it with great friends.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline intrinsic

• Cellarman
  • Firestone, Co
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:08 am »
I've already ruined 2 hobbies I loved (music and computers) by turning them into careers.  All I want out of homebrewing is to make great beer and enjoy it with great friends.

I totally agree. Once it becomes work the fun is no longer there.
--Wes
Rocky Mountain Brewer
East of Avery Brewery, South of New Belgium, Co.

Offline bruck

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:42 am »
I think that I got into it too late or I would have likely done something in brewing. At this point I have the wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, a house, etc, etc. Not sure I can rewrite my career path at this point. :-\

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:25:36 am »
I would love to start a microbrewery, but I understand the start-up costs to be pretty high. I have heard figures in the 2-3 million range for a decent start. I would need to find investors. Then it becomes location, location and location. Not to mention the fact that one has to brew fantastic beer and that's the fun part.
Ron Price

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 06:00:39 pm »
There is something to be said about it being just a hobby. You don't have to do it and you can set your own pace. The only way I can see myself brewing for living is if a lot of things are paid and I don't need to make much money. I'm not much of a risk taker. So going out on a limb and opening a brewing business is out of the question for me.

Kai

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 06:13:46 pm »
I plan to retire or at least work part time within the next 5 years. I'd like to pick up a job at one of the 3 local brew pubs in my area.

Ditto!   ;D
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 07:57:04 pm »
to what denney said i agree with you but for me cooking was my biggest hobby and i made it my career and love it some people can make work pleasure for them i suppose
when in rome we shall do as the romans.  When in hell we'll take shots at the bar

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 08:42:20 am »
I plan to retire or at least work part time withing the next 5 years. I'd like to pick up a job at one of the 3 local brew pubs in my area.

This sounds like a pretty sweet plan!  Opening a brewpub is a retirement dream, but just a dream while I have a young family, mortgage and 15 to 20 years left in my current career.  Plus, the small town I live in would probably not support it - the University town 15 minutes away - maybe.  Working at someone else's brewpub part-time (30 minutes away) - Brilliant!

Really, what I'd prefer to do would be to buy about ~20 acres outside of town and have a little hobby farm and hop ranch.  I'd keep the brewing as a hobby.  ;D
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 09:21:39 am »
to what denney said i agree with you but for me cooking was my biggest hobby and i made it my career and love it some people can make work pleasure for them i suppose

I loved the studio 28 years ago when I started it.  I still really enjoy studio work, but I HATE running a business!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 11:12:07 am »

I loved the studio 28 years ago when I started it.  I still really enjoy studio work, but I HATE running a business!

This is my biggest fear about making brewing my career.  I'd love to own a brewpub, but I know nothing about running a restaurant, but realize the restaurant has to be strong enough to support the brewery until (and if) the customers start coming for the beer first and food second.

One day when I no longer have mortgage payments or have nightmares about kids tuition fees, I might feel differntly.  The hop ranch still sounds more fun - and maybe a cottage meadery.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 11:22:26 am »
My goal is to open a brewpub in my wife's area in France.  She has a brother who is a chef and caterer, he just retired from his "day" job and is looking for something to do.  Since he has the business already set up it would be a lot easier for me to just have to deal with the brewing part.  My BIL the farmer could plant 20 acres of hops for me, he already grows 2-row barley and wheat. But how realistic is this, I have no idea. 
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2010, 11:30:04 am »
Really, what I'd prefer to do would be to buy about ~20 acres outside of town and have a little hobby farm and hop ranch.  I'd keep the brewing as a hobby.  ;D

This is what I want.