Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blot on the landscape  (Read 6375 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Blot on the landscape
« on: August 21, 2011, 09:00:15 pm »
dang it, it is!

iterations over and over and over....

Glad I don't have to deal with this crap whirlygiggin around my vicinity more than It already is...... :-\
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:08:10 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Blot on the landscape
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:11:23 pm »
When I drive over the road I see these hauled everywhere. We're commiting to them heavily.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:15:28 pm »
When I drive over the road I see these hauled everywhere. We're commiting to them heavily.
I am sorry these are supposed to be so good....and I fail to understand how that many
iterations of anything can be that "good"....it has gone beyond moderation...hook line and sinker. :-\
I like them when they show out like this....
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:21:31 pm by 1vertical »

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:58:10 pm »
Better looking than this.......

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:05:20 pm »
Sorry, I disagree...
Well, I am the ECOPUNK...I burn shudder  Coal .  Here is why,
BFEwhyomin has  a huge abundance of this fuel.  It is about $60 per ton at the tipple.
Time I get it home factor in another $20.00 a ton...total $80 a ton from the mine to the
stove.  I do not have to seek deadfall in the forest and then cut it and remove chunks
to the truck, then split it , then stack it, then carry it into the house to burn.

All I do is shovel it on the truck, shovel it off the truck in a pile, bring a wheelbarrow
at at time into the garage as needed. 

Then on the burn end, I just add to the previous embers (which last 2-3 DAYS) shake
the ashes out the bottom of the stove and dump em then go on about my buziness. 
Lot less handling than wood and a lot more heat value per ton.

Staying Warm with Mining

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:10:58 pm »
Yeah, we have those here too, but we live on the way far side of BFE here.  Wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, biomass... are all we are going to have for power generation here when the ships stop bringing fuel from the mainland. 

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:13:22 pm »
It may be an economical way to heat, but I still feel strip mining is more of an eyesore than wind turbines.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 11:45:52 pm »
It may be an economical way to heat, but I still feel strip mining is more of an eyesore than wind turbines.

+1

IIRC, the US has them in 'eyesore' places because of the distances you have to deal with there, and the lack of high-power transmission lines. There are a metric crapton of these things just south of me, in the middle of a million hectares of crop fields. But then again France is just about the size of Texas. The US is vaaaaaast, but Joules' law, she is a b*tch.

I'd still rather have these things in my back yard than the cancer risks associated with coal (and gasoline for that matter).
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:41:19 am »
Those are probably Vestas, They just opened a facility in my town. But on the Coal side, I had this video that is on my Facebook page. A tape of a coal blast to clear rock...Awesome video. My Mother in law works at a coal mine so when we visit and if we make it to the mine, near Gillette WY, we get to see a blast... Impressive.

The reclamation around the mine is impressive too. The area where the coal has already been mined from looks like it is due for mine expansion. It looks untouched. The only indication that there was a mine there are piles of rocks to allow wildlife areas of "self preservation" from predators, raptors and canines. Mostly for small animals. Hell they have even begun to drill through the reclaimed areas to get to oil (much deeper than coal) and it is stable enough to support the wells.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 06:43:18 am »
Just about any power generation system is a blot on the landscape. 

Wind vs coal vs hydro vs nuclear vs NG vs solar, and so on.

All have their risks.  Google can show how some have resulted in large loss of life and property.  None of us want our power to go off, so those are acceptable risks.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:21:24 am »
It's our dirty little secret that we ALL use products that were mined.
Methinks the metal in your automobile began it's useful life much like
something in that photo above.
And the glass in your windows came from mining trona
and the salt on your table came from either mining salt or mining salt water
And the diamond on your wife's finger..
And the copper water lines in your house...(old School)
And the Gold contacts on your pc board that allows you to compute.
I even worked in an oil mine once...so that too comes from mining altho to a lesser degree
And the rare earth minerals that are put in the mix to make a good thing better...
Sorry I am a mining advocate. We as humans need the end products from mining
to Sustain Our existance as we know it..........

Yeah looking at google earth, pretty much where ever the human footprint is...it is a Blot.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:09:46 am »
I like rooftop solar. I have a dream that every horizontal or semi-horizontal man made surface will have solar panels on them. The big wind farms and big solar farms are an eyesore and an evironmental disaster waiting to happen. Here in CA we have a fair about of wind generation and it is doing a number on raptor populations, not to mention song birds and other 'prey' birds. large scale solar takes huge amounts of land out of natural or cultivatable use. However it is entirely possible in many places around the world to generat enough power to run a house on enough solar panels to cover the roof of said house. With a smart distributed grid this power can be shifted around to where it is needed. The technology may not be there yet. And of course it does require mining (although not mountain top removal) but it is on it's way. I remember reading that in Germany, and this was like 10 years ago, they had managed to acheive around 10% of power needs from residential solar. And that's in a northern climate.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 09:25:22 am »
I like rooftop solar. I have a dream that every horizontal or semi-horizontal man made surface will have solar panels on them. The big wind farms and big solar farms are an eyesore and an evironmental disaster waiting to happen. Here in CA we have a fair about of wind generation and it is doing a number on raptor populations, not to mention song birds and other 'prey' birds. large scale solar takes huge amounts of land out of natural or cultivatable use. However it is entirely possible in many places around the world to generat enough power to run a house on enough solar panels to cover the roof of said house. With a smart distributed grid this power can be shifted around to where it is needed. The technology may not be there yet. And of course it does require mining (although not mountain top removal) but it is on it's way. I remember reading that in Germany, and this was like 10 years ago, they had managed to acheive around 10% of power needs from residential solar. And that's in a northern climate.

You bred raptors?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 09:55:34 am »

You bred raptors?

Not intentionally, they were all females, I don't know what happened! but it's okay, they only eat BMC drinkers ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 10:06:34 am »
I also would like to see an increase in rooftop solar. It would be able to greatly lower our dependence on using fossil fuels for energy generation. Especially as the efficiency of them increases, and the tech for making them improves.
<rant>Mining will always be necessary, just not very pretty. There are many areas around PA that are more or less permanent eyesores because the area had been strip mined and the mining company never reclaimed the land. And now we're getting all these shale drilling operations going on. At the moment there are 5 wells less than 1/2 mile from my house. (I check every now and then to see if my water catches fire) Also, just because I realize it's necessary, doesn't mean I'm going to like it.</rant>