Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All grain brewing in the winter  (Read 13639 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: All grain brewing in the winter
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 10:19:08 pm »
I assume you're familiar with http://damnyouautocorrect.com/ ? ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 10:34:52 pm »
If you wanted to brew 2.5 gallon batches to save space so you can do it inside how big would you want your mash tun to be for a average gravity beer?

Bc i have thought of doing this so i can have a faster turn over and experiment more and be able to do it in the winter. I live in MN and even in my garage its 40 degrees during the winter gets a little cold

I have a 2-gallon cooler, but I also have a 5-gallon cooler which I use more often. The spigots are interchangeable (which means I can move my strainer from one to the other very easily).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2011, 10:20:26 am »
For an average gravity beer, a tun the same volume as the batch works best.  You can sqeeze a 2.5 gallon batch out of a 2 gallon cooler, but you'll be happier with a 3-5 gallon cooler.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2011, 01:36:15 pm »
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2011, 01:45:27 pm »
I too am in a bit of a dilemma about how to use my wort chiller this winter.  I'm in PA, so not as bad as WI, but it does get below freezing and we had some 28' of snow last year.  I really do not have a good way to let the output of the chiller go without turning my driveway in to an ice rink.  It's about 110' long and on a steep angle so not to mess with.

I will probably go back to what I did pre-wort chiller.  Put the kettle in the laundry room sink, add ice and water, and start to stir when it gets below 90F to avoid hot-side aeration.  Takes 45-60 minutes as opposed to 20, but gets the job done.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2011, 03:38:54 pm »
I too am in a bit of a dilemma about how to use my wort chiller this winter.
They make a simple adapter that allows you to connect a hose fitting to your sink faucet.  That's what I use to run my chiller in the winter.