Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC sold out - any other way?  (Read 12334 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
NHC sold out - any other way?
« on: February 06, 2012, 12:33:14 pm »
After being out of pocket for last 6 days (and truthfully, not paying attention), I went to sign up for (my first ever) NHC this morning....The first time I had both the time and the means to attend and....DOH!  Epic Fail. :'(

As a result, I have a number of questions:

1. How many people are on the wait list, and really, what is the turnover rate, and what are my chances (where am I on the list)?
2. Are there any plans to increase capacity to the event (thus due to or affecting question #1)?
3. Is there any opportunity to volunteer for the event (similar to GABF)?

You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: NHC sold out - any other way?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:03:47 pm »
1) Don't know.. but we anticipate a usually healthy churn rate, so get on the list!
2) We're smack up against the maximum capacity of the venue, so I don't think we can expand no matter how much we want to.
3) That would be a question for Mr. Tom, but I don't recall us having a non-attendee volunteer corp.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
    • On Beer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:24:00 pm »
Thanks Drew.  My brother and I are on the waitlist as of noon today.

Unfortunately, it is what it is, and I have learned my lesson, but it is my guess that in the future this event will either sell out in 20 minutes next year, or the capacity will expand to make it not as pleasant of an experience.

From here on out, it is my guess that there will be the fight between capacity and intimacy (or lack thereof).  I hope it not to ever be like GABF.  Maybe it becomes a regional model.

At any rate, I am looking forward to volunteering to help at the first round competition.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 02:16:21 pm »
From here on out, it is my guess that there will be the fight between capacity and intimacy (or lack thereof). 

This is a conversation that's been ongoing in the AHA and Governing Committee.  I imagine it will be a main focus of our meeting at NHC.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 03:13:31 pm »
3) That would be a question for Mr. Tom, but I don't recall us having a non-attendee volunteer corp.
Sorry, we really only have jobs for registered people. :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
    • On Beer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 03:57:45 pm »
Thank you Gentlemen for the quick weigh in.  I know you are working on the issue, and perhaps you weren't super surprised about the quick sell out (not as surprised as I was).  I truly did not believe that I was risking missing out by waiting almost a full week to register.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 04:03:02 pm »
perhaps you weren't super surprised about the quick sell out

I would like to note for the record that i believe everyone involved in this effort was caught flat footed by the rapidity of ticket sales.

I'm also fairly certain that Kate is just about recovered from the frenzy.. maybe.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 05:03:23 pm »
I didn't expect it to sell out so quickly, no way, no how.  It was crazy.

I want to add though, that while there is no way to increase the capacity for this year's event, we hope it will be less of a problem going forward.  This location was chosen and the contract was signed before the MN conference in 2010, and this venue is able to hold ~20% more than that one.  It's a fine line between having enough room to grow and having too much room so that actual attendance doesn't come close to what is needed to break even.

I think one thing we need to look at is the ability of any chosen venue to grow to accommodate the number of people who want to attend.  That really limits where the conference can go though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 08:43:04 pm »
perhaps you weren't super surprised about the quick sell out

I would like to note for the record that i believe everyone involved in this effort was caught flat footed by the rapidity of ticket sales.

I'm also fairly certain that Kate is just about recovered from the frenzy.. maybe.
I figured a month for a sell out, maybe 6 weeks, not two.

two days, NO WAY

And yes,  this will be looked at in some detail.

My wife will be with me in the hotel, but I don't have a ticket for her and I'm not going to ask for one and I don't expect anyone to give me one either. 
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »

My wife will be with me in the hotel, but I don't have a ticket for her and I'm not going to ask for one and I don't expect anyone to give me one either. 

Uh huh...  and what does SHE have to say about this?   ;)   :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 05:26:35 am »
There are a lot of folks picking their jaws up from the floor. I was amazed at the five day sellout as well. I think this is commonly referred to as "growing pains". I am confident that the AHA will be addressing this issue and hopefully this can be less of a problem in the years to come.

There are many veteran AHA members that didn't get tickets and are very disappointed. I can certainly understand their disappointment. I also understand that this was a complete surprise to the AHA. I also think that the AHA Governing Committee will be discussing this in detail going forward.

Hopefully the AHA can satisfy many of those on the waiting list.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 06:01:26 am »
Based on last year's competition filling all judging location early, we were online at 12:05.  But we usually register the first day anyway.

One extra location has been added this year for the competition.  Does anyone think the comp. will not fill up early?

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 06:33:53 am »
I'm curious if we will see the Philly conference sell out as fast.  It's always been my impression ( maybe not so ) that the biggest concentration of AHA members are in the West Coast/Mountain regions.  So it would figure those conferences would see out quicker.  I just don't know if we would get the same West Coast contingent if they have to fly all the way across the country.  That has been a factor for the last few years for me being on the East coast but I made sure to make it work this year.

Regardless, I will be on the PC 15 minutes before the conference goes online next year ( booked my hotel room 10 minutes before published time this year ), as will many others I'm sure so make sure those servers upgrades are in place.  ;)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 06:56:44 am »
I don't know the hotel size for next year, but there is huge "pent up demand" on the East Coast.  That and  1/4 of the US population lives within a 6 hour drive, more than half in a 10 hour drive (looked that up).  I will probably drive from Michigan next year - if I don't get shut out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 07:28:32 am »
I know they didn't show up for the conference in Orlando.  I'm not sure why, whether it was distance or the fact that nobody wanted to go to Florida in June, but it was a very low turn-out.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995