Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Hops vs. FWH  (Read 8006 times)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Mash Hops vs. FWH
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:14:18 am »
For this year's Tennessee Brewfest, I'm planning on cloning  all commercial beers. (10) At least one of the recipes I'm entertaining (Pliny) calls for mash hops. I've never used hops in the mash and was curious how this differs from First Wort Hopping?

Can it affect the pH level in the mash?
Just brew it...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mash Hops vs. FWH
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:37:36 am »
I tried mash hopping 3 times before deciding that it added nothing to the beer and was a waste of hops.  I really don't know about it affecting pH levels.  My WAG would be not much if at all.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16:04 am »
I tried mash hopping 3 times before deciding that it added nothing to the beer and was a waste of hops. 

Denny . . as in nothing at all, or nothing over FWH?
Just brew it...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 10:18:19 am »
Nothing...no detectable effects at all.  I used them in 3 recipes I'd brewed often and was very familiar with and I couldn't tell any difference from not using them.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 12:04:26 pm »
'ppreciate it, Sir . .
Just brew it...

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 12:13:15 pm »
In that recipe I use the Mash hops as FWH instead.
Brew on

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 12:26:57 pm »
FWIW, I wouldn't use any recipe for PTE but the one Vinnie gives out himself (http://www.beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF.pdf)

No Randall, no MASH hops and no stinking FWH either!!!    :D ;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:43:46 pm »
FWIW, I wouldn't use any recipe for PTE but the one Vinnie gives out himself (http://www.beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF.pdf)

I see your West Coast tendencies at work.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 12:45:35 pm »
I see your West Coast tendencies at work.  ;D

;D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 12:52:35 pm »

Thanks for the link. I like simplifying!  :)
Just brew it...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 06:12:13 pm »
Vinnie had given out a recipe for Pliny the Elder 4 or so years ago. 

The one on Fred's site is the new one published this summer in Zymurgy.  No mash hops, no FWH, no Chinook, etc.  That is on my list of ones to make.  The old recipe was very good.  Oh, and Vinnie said on Brew Strong that there is some Amarillo in Pliny now (he didn't say when or how much).

As a side story, I brewed the old recipe when it was given out.  Entered it in the Michigan state fair, as a DIPA.  The judges knocked it for being "too hoppy for style".  They were not BJCP, to make that clear, but still...  ???.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 06:29:03 pm »
Vinnie had given out a recipe for Pliny the Elder 4 or so years ago. 

The one on Fred's site is the new one published this summer in Zymurgy.  No mash hops, no FWH, no Chinook, etc.  That is on my list of ones to make.  The old recipe was very good.  Oh, and Vinnie said on Brew Strong that there is some Amarillo in Pliny now (he didn't say when or how much).

As a side story, I brewed the old recipe when it was given out.  Entered it in the Michigan state fair, as a DIPA.  The judges knocked it for being "too hoppy for style".  They were not BJCP, to make that clear, but still...  ???.
I've entered the Old Recipe for Pliny in 2 different BJCP sanctioned events.  It was a little past it's prime, maybe 5 or so months old (that fresh hop aroma almost changes by the day for a couple of weeks) but still took silver in both.

Offline bspisak

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 05:49:23 pm »
And where can one find the old recipe?

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 08:14:46 pm »

I think Vinnie was talking about it in his firs appearance at BN Sunday session.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline nyakavt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 06:32:26 am »

I think Vinnie was talking about it in his firs appearance at BN Sunday session.

That one linked on Fred's site, AFAIK, is the original Pliny homebrew recipe.  I seem to remember them discussing that the recipe was 'out there' on that first Sunday Session, but for some reason not actually giving the recipe on the show.  It's been so long, I'd have to listen to it again to be sure.  

Vinnie did mention Amarillo in the current rendition, as well as hop extract for the early bittering.  I think the hop extract is critical if you want to make a clone of the current commercial version.  I brewed one using the original recipe and it seemed far more bitter than the commercial version I had.  Still a fine beer mind you, but it was more like the longshot DIPA than Pliny.  Not quite as harsh as the longshot beer, but not as mellow as the Pliny.  The aroma was absolutely incredible though, it's like I took 20 lbs of citrus zest and threw it in the fermenter.