Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 225916 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #285 on: June 05, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »
Very nice layout Ron.

Thanks...I've learned over the years to give plenty of space for the plants to grow.  It will look like a jungle a month from now.

They will produce more as well. Though, some like to grow close together like beans, peppers and corn.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #286 on: June 05, 2012, 10:15:49 pm »
Does anyone know of effective organic means to keep grasshoppers away? Some jerk-bug has been munching on my already-sad-looking basil.

chickens

Guineas as a first choice then ducks and chickens, the later need fences to keep them out of the garden so you don't lose your plants. Guineas need to be train so they don't fly away but it is worth the work.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #287 on: June 05, 2012, 10:32:51 pm »

Looks like we are going to have too many zuccini this year.

Pickles

yes, also squash blossoms stuffed with cheese, and zucchini chocolate chip cookies. And my wife found a recipe for zucchini cheese bread as well. I wish we had chickens we could turn some of those zukes into eggs.

Can send you some fertile eggs if you want.
Pickles are my choice for zucchini, dill them with some hot pepper. Nothing better than hot pickles, they make a good tatar sauce to boot!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #288 on: June 05, 2012, 11:00:22 pm »

Looks like we are going to have too many zuccini this year.

Pickles

yes, also squash blossoms stuffed with cheese, and zucchini chocolate chip cookies. And my wife found a recipe for zucchini cheese bread as well. I wish we had chickens we could turn some of those zukes into eggs.

Can send you some fertile eggs if you want.
Pickles are my choice for zucchini, dill them with some hot pepper. Nothing better than hot pickles, they make a good tatar sauce to boot!

plenty of chickens around to be had. Just not ready for the urban chicken farmer thing just yet. gotta figure out the coop and where we want them running.

No way in god's nastiest hell are you going to get me to raise guinea foul. I get goose bumps when I hear them. the peacocks that used to live around when I was out in the country were bad enough.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2012, 09:16:41 am »
Corn is doing nicely. It's about 15 inches now, need to feed it. I've got some liquid manure I was thinking of using.. Too many nitrates?

My hops are doing quite nicely, or at least the EKG are, there are some leaves that are (no kidding) the size of my head.

We finally got some watermelon hardened off so I'll be transplanting them to somewhere with more room.

Our roses are gangbusters, and we harvested (meaning cut off a bunch of branches) cherries the other day, luckily we got to pretty much all of them before the birds did.

Slugs... M*therf*cking slugs... They have absolutely chowed down on our basil, cilantro, and rhubarb. The pepper and chile plants were looking like they were going to be next, but luckily they got a nice growth spurt.

Speaking of which, what fertilizer for chiles? 5/5/5? Potassium?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:46 am »
Very nice layout Ron.

Thanks...I've learned over the years to give plenty of space for the plants to grow.  It will look like a jungle a month from now.

They will produce more as well. Though, some like to grow close together like beans, peppers and corn.

Yes.  I have my beans and peppers about 12-18" apart. I've had success with that spacing but squash is another story. :)
Ron Price

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2012, 11:31:49 am »
Slugs... M*therf*cking slugs... They have absolutely chowed down on our basil, cilantro, and rhubarb. The pepper and chile plants were looking like they were going to be next, but luckily they got a nice growth spurt.

Funny you should mention that on this forum...Phil, google it....Kill Slugs with BEER
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2012, 11:34:01 am »

Funny you should mention that on this forum...Phil, google it....Kill Slugs with BEER

I always thought that was what genesee cream ale was for growing up. it works okay, but only if you can get the edge of the container at grade so the slugs don't have to climb in. they are lazy drunks.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »
I think Genesee Cream Ale IS on the federal registry for pesticides...  If not, it should be.   8)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline 1vertical

• Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2012, 01:47:23 pm »
Nest best thing might be a bag of rock salt in a ring on an impermeable plastic moat.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2012, 02:37:08 pm »
Nest best thing might be a bag of rock salt in a ring on an impermeable plastic moat.

And train up an army of ants to man it. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #296 on: June 06, 2012, 02:48:38 pm »
earwigs will also help control slugs. course, then you have earwigs, but they are fairly harmless.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #297 on: June 06, 2012, 02:51:07 pm »
earwigs will also help control slugs. course, then you have earwigs, but they are fairly harmless.

Except they drive my wife bonkers - calls 'em wigwams
Joe

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #298 on: June 06, 2012, 03:11:34 pm »

Not according to Rod Serling on my favorite episode of Night Gallery
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #299 on: June 06, 2012, 09:49:53 pm »
Can you point to a reference?  i tried googling around, but everything I find talks about how to control both, not one to control the other.  My google-fu has failed me.
Tom Schmidlin