Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 223481 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Growing food - The Garden Thread
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:08:25 pm »
My fingernails are filled with soil for the first time this year.

How about a garden thread?

I would love to learn from you brewers
that spend time in the garden.

Watcha got?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:48:27 pm »
I got onions (white and red), leeks and mustard greens in. My tomatoes are nearly ready to transplant into the ground.

Will triple the size of my growing area this week. Will also have 6 yards of garden soil delivered on Thursday.

Then it will be chiles and cucumbers. Might try some zucchini squash.

Cheaper to buy beans than grow them. Pics will follow.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:12:17 pm »
I've been building boxes for my garden this year.   I have 3 that are made from 2X12 sides and bottoms, 3 are 2 X12 bottom with 2 X10 sides.  The have beets, spinach, radishes, green onions,and carrots planted already.  I'll do 3 more boxes for tomatoes, cukes/melons and squash.  I also have garlic, shallots, asparagus, red potatoes, and russsets planted in the ground,
The weeds are so bad out here, especially the uncontrollable bermuda grass.  I was either going to give up or go to containers of some sort to keep the grass out.
My Cascades are also up so I'll be mixing hop shoots with asparagus next weekend I hope.

m
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:15:07 pm by corkybstewart »
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:40:45 pm »
Great timing!

I just cleared the garden of some leftover debris from the 2011 garden yesterday.
I also planted most of my seeds in a greenhouse planter last weekend. Tomatoes, cucumbers, assorted varieties of peppers, watermelon, squash, zuchini, tomatillos, etc...
I planted two rhizhomes of Centennial hops in a large planter as well. I'll eventually replant them outside when they get big enough.

My work is cutout for me this year.  ::)
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:52 pm »
I got onions (white and red), leeks and mustard greens in. My tomatoes are nearly ready to transplant into the ground.

Will triple the size of my growing area this week. Will also have 6 yards of garden soil delivered on Thursday.

Then it will be chiles and cucumbers. Might try some zucchini squash.

Cheaper to buy beans than grow them. Pics will follow.
for me it's much cheaper and easier to buy chiles, but I may grow a few jalapenos for pico de gallo.
I figure we have one more freeze so I'm at least a couple of weeks from planting tomatoes.  I just have the cold weather stuff planted now.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:41:29 pm »
I just started hardening off my plants today. They'll be in the cold frame next week and in the ground by the end of the month. Onions are already planted.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:43:50 pm »
For annuals, we just have the garlic in (and coming up).  I've got a couple of bhut jolokia in pots, and I think they'll stay there.  Everything else will need to wait, we'll start some of it in early April - carrots, peppers, tomatoes at least, we're still planning. 

The rest is perennial stuff - kiwis, sour cherry, sweet cherry, apple, plum, pears, currant, blueberries, rhubarb, four kinds of grapes, fig, kumquat, aronia, strawberries, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, savory, oregano, mint, chives . . . I'm probably forgetting some stuff. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:44:51 pm »
We've go lettuce that overwintered and the shallots, garlic and onions that went in last fall, but it's been too cold and wet to get anything done this year.  My wife is planning and starting seeds, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:50:26 pm »
For annuals, we just have the garlic in (and coming up).  I've got a couple of bhut jolokia in pots, and I think they'll stay there.  Everything else will need to wait, we'll start some of it in early April - carrots, peppers, tomatoes at least, we're still planning. 

The rest is perennial stuff - kiwis, sour cherry, sweet cherry, apple, plum, pears, currant, blueberries, rhubarb, four kinds of grapes, fig, kumquat, aronia, strawberries, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, savory, oregano, mint, chives . . . I'm probably forgetting some stuff. :)

"parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme"

I thought you were about to break into a song. :D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:51:52 pm »

"parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme"

I thought you were about to break into a song. :D
I almost did, but if you ever heard me sing you'd be glad I didn't :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 11:19:12 pm »
still picking the last of the winter brocolli. The mustard greens are all bolted, just waiting to be turned under. The artichokes I put in last fall are doing nicely, don't see any buds yet but hopeful. I have hills built for the melons and cukes. There are two surviving pea vines getting a good start now.

built a hugelkultur (http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/) for some blueberries that a friends gifted to me. got some rhubarb in the ground a couple weeks ago.

have all the seeds but havn't finished getting the soil turned over and planted.

planning

corn/beans/squash in the front yard (luckily most of the neighbors are wierdos as well)

greens, more beans, strawberry spinach... gosh can't even remember everything right now. Also going to get some tomato and pepper starts from a friend.

I have a dozen assorted hop rhyzomes to go in as well, 1 sterling, a handful of cascade and a bunch of centennial (those things spread like anyones business)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 11:30:21 pm »
A dozen rhizomes?  Wow.....

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:44:04 pm »
A dozen rhizomes?  Wow.....

yeah I helped a friend prune his patch and the centennial were going crazy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 01:19:10 am »
built a hugelkultur (http://www.richsoil.com/hugelkultur/) for some blueberries that a friends gifted to me. got some rhubarb in the ground a couple weeks ago.
i have some beds that are similar - wood on the bottom, a couple of layers of wood around the side, filled in with dirt.  At this point they definitely seem to be sucking a lot of nitrogen, but we supplement with some organic N source. 

re: blueberries in this kind of thing - I was told by a master gardener that the blueberries we planted around a ground out stump were getting too many nutrients from the decaying wood and that's why they were poor at fruiting and why they sent up huge shoots.  He hadn't seen them though, so who knows if he was right.  I followed his advice (added peat moss and did not fertilize) and got better fruit the next year, but it was an uncontrolled experiment so it may have been fine if I hadn't changed what I was doing.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 02:05:48 am »
My coffee is loaded with blossoms.  My citrus, mango, macadamia, and avacado are winding down from major blooms.

My bees have been working their wings off.  Major nectar flows at this time of year.  I live near tens of thousands of acres of macadamia orchards.  The mac tree bloom is winding down, but the lehua bloom is nearing it's peak.  Once the lehua ends rhe albizias get to blooming...

Oh yeah, my son and I counted 47 pineapples in our pineapple patch today (he's on spring break).  Three or four will be ready in the next few days.  The rest will come in between now and the end of August.  The white pineapples (Kona Sugar Loaf) come in in July-August.  They are ambrosia!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:18:03 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907