Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 225574 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #510 on: July 27, 2013, 11:26:50 am »
Jonathan,
Those volunteer "squash" mnay be gourds.  The calabacita have mild and soft flesh like a zuchinni
only slightly different.....They should be harvested when at the size of your fist....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2013, 01:39:10 pm »
Weeds, weeds weeds, that's pretty much all I have.  Peppers and Tomatoes will survive and I've got some potatoes that will probably yield a crop but that's about all.  Cucumbers started strong and are wilting.  First garden in the new house so the tillage was lousy and last minute, we weeded multiple times but the boys don't pull the roots up so when we got back from vacation it was nothing but foxtail and lambsquarters.  Next year I will have to do something different. 

Did eat a lot of green beans out of the garden for supper though, guess I should count my blessings.

lambs quarters aren't weeds. They are gourmet greens man. delicious. If I could get lambs quarters to grow in my garden I would never ever plant spinach.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2013, 01:41:26 pm »
Jonathan,
Those volunteer "squash" mnay be gourds.  The calabacita have mild and soft flesh like a zuchinni
only slightly different.....They should be harvested when at the size of your fist....

yeah, they aren't terribly pleasent. Ive got one out there right now that is about the size you describe. Maybe I'll go pick it now and see how it is. Are they tasty raw like zukes?
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #513 on: July 27, 2013, 01:47:41 pm »
It's difficult to tell them apart when chopped....

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #514 on: July 27, 2013, 02:51:29 pm »
When is the best time to harvest eggplant. I've been hearing its before they turn purple. Anyone know if that is correct or have better advice? Thanks !
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #515 on: July 27, 2013, 03:02:41 pm »
They are all purple in the store.  I have never tried one that wasn't.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #516 on: July 27, 2013, 03:12:24 pm »
When is the best time to harvest eggplant. I've been hearing its before they turn purple. Anyone know if that is correct or have better advice? Thanks !

some eggplants don't turn purple. if they get to old they will get seedy and tough. other than that it doesn't matter all that much.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #517 on: July 27, 2013, 04:39:36 pm »
Eggplants grow more bitter the older/larger they are. So it is best to enjoy them on the smaller side.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #518 on: July 29, 2013, 06:36:07 am »
Eggplants grow more bitter the older/larger they are. So it is best to enjoy them on the smaller side.

+1  A little bit bigger than a softball tastes good.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #519 on: July 29, 2013, 08:37:01 am »

unless it's one of those tiny Asian varieties that only get as big as eggs, you know the ones that are white? and look like eggs? I have always assumed that that is what EGGPLANTS were supposed to look like and the giant purple ones are a mutation.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #520 on: July 29, 2013, 09:26:52 am »
Weeds, weeds weeds, that's pretty much all I have.  Peppers and Tomatoes will survive and I've got some potatoes that will probably yield a crop but that's about all.  Cucumbers started strong and are wilting.  First garden in the new house so the tillage was lousy and last minute, we weeded multiple times but the boys don't pull the roots up so when we got back from vacation it was nothing but foxtail and lambsquarters.  Next year I will have to do something different. 

Did eat a lot of green beans out of the garden for supper though, guess I should count my blessings.

lambs quarters aren't weeds. They are gourmet greens man. delicious. If I could get lambs quarters to grow in my garden I would never ever plant spinach.

I don't think I've ever heard of someone eating lambs-quarter.  Interesting.  It's a native plant in Iowa (I think) and grows everywhere.  It would rapidly take over 2 acres of cattle lot, if we didn't have cattle, when I was kid.  Oh well, another possible fortune we threw away.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #521 on: July 29, 2013, 09:56:29 am »

unless it's one of those tiny Asian varieties that only get as big as eggs, you know the ones that are white? and look like eggs? I have always assumed that that is what EGGPLANTS were supposed to look like and the giant purple ones are a mutation.

Hmm, the ones I have are more like skinny footballs that have no sign of purple color yet.  I guess I'll just let them ride a while longer and see what happens. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #522 on: July 29, 2013, 10:06:44 am »
The calabacita in my garden are rangy, and seem to like a lot of room.  Easily the first producing squash here; really have been enjoying them.  Thanks for the recommend.

I have a feeling they might turn into calabasota pretty quick. ;)

They do look like the volunteer squash that appear from my compost. 

Harvested the garlic this weekend, just in time.

My volunteer potatoes are fantastic.  Wondering why we can't plant them in the fall and just act like they are volunteer?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #523 on: July 29, 2013, 10:17:49 am »
The calabacita in my garden are rangy, and seem to like a lot of room.  Easily the first producing squash here; really have been enjoying them.  Thanks for the recommend.

My volunteer potatoes are fantastic.  Wondering why we can't plant them in the fall and just act like they are volunteer?

That's a nice looking pile of garlic pinnah. jealous. our garlic is okay, but the heads were really small and we only got about 10 bulbs and I have to use 1 per batch of pesto so it's going quickly as I can barely keep ahead of the basil. It's been hot here and they want to bolt so badly.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #524 on: July 29, 2013, 10:35:34 am »

That's a nice looking pile of garlic pinnah. jealous. our garlic is okay, but the heads were really small and we only got about 10 bulbs and I have to use 1 per batch of pesto so it's going quickly as I can barely keep ahead of the basil. It's been hot here and they want to bolt so badly.

+1

Beautious!
Ron Price