Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 223480 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #945 on: March 07, 2016, 05:36:00 pm »
Great link euge! Love watching someone do "stupid" human tricks, but I'm convinced to never try any if those straight
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #946 on: March 07, 2016, 08:53:30 pm »
Awesome looking collection of seeds, Amanda. I grow chiles too, but the Red Savina Habanero is my ceiling for heat. The Reaper is too much fun (or misery) for me. Enjoy!

Oh I'm not eating the Reapers or even going near them after they start fruiting! I have what my friends here call a "baby mouth". So the Numex Sauve Orange and Zavory Habenaro are for me, while the Reapers, Scotch Bonnets, and real Habenaros are for the husband and his hot sauces. I had to leave the house when hot sauce was being made last fall (Ghost, Habs, and Serranos I think).

The Numez and Zavory are supposedly a very mild version of Habenaros... so maybe I'll be able to eat them!  :D The hottest I can do is some Poblanos, but the Tiburons I grew last year were as hot as they were prolific so I didn't get to eat much of them. :/
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Zavory, Amanda. I had some growing last year, but my wife was sick in the middle of the worst part of the drought last summer so my garden went unattended. I lost all my peppers except two Serranos.

I like heat, but I have outgrown my younger daredevil days of putting Dave's Insanity Sauce straight on wings, and other testosterone-driven nonsense. I generally max out at Serranos for my purposes right now. I like the flavor of Habs, but don't need all the heat. That's why the Zavory was really interesting to me.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #947 on: March 08, 2016, 06:10:49 am »
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Zavory, Amanda. I had some growing last year, but my wife was sick in the middle of the worst part of the drought last summer so my garden went unattended. I lost all my peppers except two Serranos.

I like heat, but I have outgrown my younger daredevil days of putting Dave's Insanity Sauce straight on wings, and other testosterone-driven nonsense. I generally max out at Serranos for my purposes right now. I like the flavor of Habs, but don't need all the heat. That's why the Zavory was really interesting to me.

I'll be sure to let you know. I've never tasted a Hab, but I'll have Myles do a comparison of both the Zavory and the Numex Suave out of curiosity. As for the heat seekers - he makes hot sauce out of a lot of these peppers. Last year, there was a variety produced but the top two heat levels were combos of ghost/habs/serranos and then a hab/serrano/jally. The ghost/hab/serrano blend doesn't even phase a couple of my crazy college friends. We weren't going to grow super-super hots (Ghost+) again this year, but my cousin gave me a handful of Reaper seeds at Christmas. So here we are. Haha.

In other news - my orders from Stark Brothers are coming today and tomorrow! Woot! I picked up 3 triple crown blackberries, 9 Heritage raspberries, a bit of rhubarb, and one of their tart cherry trees.  8) I finally ordered the bits I needed to expand the drip irrigation to everything (including the new blackcurrant bushes) and to run a permanent pipe from the house to the garden... so we will be livin' big this year.  ;D

Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #948 on: March 08, 2016, 08:05:39 am »
Getting a box of brambles! That is like an extra Xmas day.

Those reapers make a very tasty hot sauce. I am looking forward to their gnarled beauty along a path in the yard this year.

I am doing my research for drip irrigation this week. I need a lot of it.
Kyle M.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #949 on: March 08, 2016, 08:22:03 am »

Those reapers make a very tasty hot sauce. I am looking forward to their gnarled beauty along a path in the yard this year.

I'm going to do drip irrigation this year as well, I'm picking up my bulk NOFA order this week that will include that. I'm really looking forward to having it.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #950 on: March 08, 2016, 08:23:17 am »
This is probably a topic for another thread, but what do you guy's mean by "hot sauce" made from these nuclear peppers?

Is it a Louisiana/Crystal/Frank's cooked type of vinegar based sauce or are we talking salsa (fresh or canned) or even a fermented sauce?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #951 on: March 08, 2016, 08:32:25 am »

I'm going to do drip irrigation this year as well, I'm picking up my bulk NOFA order this week that will include that. I'm really looking forward to having it.

FWIW, I've used Drip Depot and will use them again. And again.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #952 on: March 08, 2016, 08:33:56 am »
This is probably a topic for another thread, but what do you guy's mean by "hot sauce" made from these nuclear peppers?

Is it a Louisiana/Crystal/Frank's cooked type of vinegar based sauce or are we talking salsa (fresh or canned) or even a fermented sauce?

I was thinking we should start a "hot sauce" thread. I know there are some folks around that have a lot of experience.  I've had my first experimental fermented batch percolating away for several weeks now. I'd about a gallon of blanched and pureed mostly Habs, lemon cayenne, serranos, anchos, a few jalapenos. Basically everything that was left over from last year and still in the freezer from 2014 tossed into the pot. Added some garlic, onion, sugar and Nancy's Organic plain yogurt. It smells pretty good and is definitely active. I just have saran wrap and a rubber band on top. Really no clue what I'm doing but I figure once I verify the pH is below 3.5 I'm pretty safe to sample. 
Oops, sorry yes a new thread...:)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #953 on: March 08, 2016, 09:06:05 am »

We typically follow the Mrs. Wheelbarrow (Cathy Barrow) approach, found at the bottom of this page.

I tried fermenting with lacto from yogurt, which didn't work well. Now I have some Swanson's Lacto Planarium, so I'll be giving it another go this year.

We waterbath can it until it is in use (ensuring the pH is low enough), then it gets into a woozy bottle and the fridge when it's time to open and use it.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #954 on: March 08, 2016, 09:08:46 am »

I was thinking we should start a "hot sauce" thread. I know there are some folks around that have a lot of experience.  I've had my first experimental fermented batch percolating away for several weeks now. I'd about a gallon of blanched and pureed mostly Habs, lemon cayenne, serranos, anchos, a few jalapenos. Basically everything that was left over from last year and still in the freezer from 2014 tossed into the pot. Added some garlic, onion, sugar and Nancy's Organic plain yogurt. It smells pretty good and is definitely active. I just have saran wrap and a rubber band on top. Really no clue what I'm doing but I figure once I verify the pH is below 3.5 I'm pretty safe to sample. 
Oops, sorry yes a new thread...:)

Niiiiice. I have no clue either, but 2 of the 3 sauces I made were tasty. The other smells and looks terrible.

I was talking about Fermented hot sauce, Euge.

Thanks for the tip, Amanda. I will look into Drip Depot.
Kyle M.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #955 on: March 08, 2016, 09:13:36 am »
I think there is one or two but buried years back. Think I'm done with resurrecting those zombies. Ought to start a fresh one!

You need at least 1.5% salt by of weight the peppers when you're fermenting them to encourage the lacto and inhibit other bacteria and yeast. Somewhere stuck in my head is that you add another 1.5% salt after it's fermented out (30 days-ish).

Oh and I do it wild without any culture such as yogurt.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #956 on: March 08, 2016, 09:20:54 am »
I think there is one or two but buried years back. Think I'm done with resurrecting those zombies. Ought to start a fresh one!

You need at least 1.5% salt by of weight the peppers when you're fermenting them to encourage the lacto and inhibit other bacteria and yeast. Somewhere stuck in my head is that you add another 1.5% salt after it's fermented out (30 days-ish).

Oh and I do it wild without any culture such as yogurt.
I can't remember using a culture either.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #957 on: March 08, 2016, 10:19:11 am »
Made about 1.5 liters of pure habanero-sauce that is just right. Complex like Tabasco but with the hab flavor and heat.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #958 on: March 08, 2016, 10:23:32 am »
Made about 1.5 liters of pure habanero-sauce that is just right. Complex like Tabasco but with the hab flavor and heat.

I make all kinds of hot sauces, too. Love the habanero stuff - all the heat I need.
Jon H.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #959 on: March 10, 2016, 07:05:46 am »
I agree, a hot sauce thread would be great.