Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing food - The Garden Thread  (Read 225501 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #990 on: March 10, 2024, 06:03:54 pm »
I have a couple more weeks of possible frost then the garden goes in. We don’t plant until after Easter.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #991 on: March 10, 2024, 07:13:43 pm »
I have a couple more weeks of possible frost then the garden goes in. We don’t plant until after Easter.
I often wonder what people plant when in a southern climate.
This year the soil is workable early and we may plant peas, lettuce, spinach, and radishes in a couple weeks but we usually plant those in April. But our last frost date is in late May,which is what we have to wait for to plant tomatoes, peppers, etc.
So BB, are you able to plant warm weather plants like tomatoes by Easter? Are you able to harvest cold tolerant veggies like collards over the winter?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #992 on: March 10, 2024, 07:29:21 pm »
Just after Easter I’ll plant tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, zucchini, squash, onions, peas and beans. I haven’t grown collards in years. I have a small garden so I don’t grow corn or okra anymore.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #993 on: March 10, 2024, 07:54:05 pm »
Just after Easter I’ll plant tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, zucchini, squash, onions, peas and beans. I haven’t grown collards in years. I have a small garden so I don’t grow corn or okra anymore.
When will you have, for example, your first ripe tomato?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #994 on: March 10, 2024, 08:01:53 pm »
Around here they say not to plant until after Mother's Day. I've lost several plants over the years trying to beat the odds. Been lucky the last 2 years and got the garden in mid April. We'll be out of state in early May so won't be planting much early this year. Probably just a couple of Early Girls and put 5 gallon jugs over them just in case. Likely only plant a variety of peppers when we get back. Gotta keep my supply of hot sauces up.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #995 on: March 10, 2024, 08:11:22 pm »
Around here they say not to plant until after Mother's Day. I've lost several plants over the years trying to beat the odds. Been lucky the last 2 years and got the garden in mid April. We'll be out of state in early May so won't be planting much early this year. Probably just a couple of Early Girls and put 5 gallon jugs over them just in case. Likely only plant a variety of peppers when we get back. Gotta keep my supply of hot sauces up.
We can’t plant warm weather plants like nightshades, cakes, and squash until late May (Memorial Day is traditional), but we plants peas, spinach, lettuce, brassicas etc as early as possible, usually late March through April. Potatoes, carrots, beets, and onions in April. We plant fall crops of brassicas and greens in late July. Garlic gets planted in late October for the following year.

Offline BrewBama

Growing food - The Garden Thread
« Reply #996 on: March 11, 2024, 06:29:54 am »
I’ll probably have my first tomato ~ Jun
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 06:41:14 am by BrewBama »

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #997 on: March 11, 2024, 07:25:17 am »
I’ll probably have my first tomato ~ Jun
Pretty much late July for a few early tomatoes here but really August and September is tomato season.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #998 on: March 11, 2024, 10:50:09 am »
I love parsnips. Good on ya!
Yeah, but they sure do look evil.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Semper Sitientem

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #999 on: March 11, 2024, 04:54:45 pm »
Currently building 5 raised garden beds, about 160 sqft, at a new house my wife and I are building. Even though it was still pricey, I got a deal on cedar I couldn’t pass up. Looking forward to growing my own veggies.
Confidunt in cervisia nobis

Scientists believe that the universe is made of hydrogen, because they claim it’s the most plentiful ingredient. I claim that the most plentiful ingredient is stupidity. - Frank Zappa

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #1000 on: April 03, 2024, 05:54:03 pm »
I just refreshed all my herb pots, so new parsley, thyme, basil. The sage and bay never stop growing and I have a large enough rosemary bush on my property to properly season all the lamb in New Zealand.

Got my tomatoes in their pots today and decided to give growing potatoes and onions in used malt sacks a go for fun.

I tend to keep my consumable gardening to about that level because that always seems to give me the best bang for the buck. (Ok, the potatoes and onions are new for me and I did promise to make my wife a little watermelon and pumpkin patch.) But usually, tomatoes are about as complicated as I get because its generally the only way to get a summer tomato sandwich worth a damn and I still tend to get tomatoes all through to November.

Still need to get the new climbing roses and lavender in the ground on the non-consumable front.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1001 on: April 05, 2024, 12:02:02 pm »
We did tomatoes and peppers last year using cloth pots. They work great, but do dry out so they need watering frequently. Last year half my tomatoes died due to me not knowing how to handle plants grown from seed so I supplemented with purchased plants. We had tomatoes last year from July until November.

This year I'm hoping all my tomatoes live to see the garden. I just transplanted half of them, some never sprouted so I replanted those. Our peppers did not come up this year. We had saved some red pepper and poblano seeds and that is looking like a bust. I gave away the seeds we had left over from last year for the varieties of tomatoes we did not like.

I had plans to build elaborate stands for the cloth pots, but think I'll just stick with having them on an old piece of trex. My wife is going to use some upright planters I got at Sam's this year for other vegetables.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #1002 on: April 05, 2024, 12:54:36 pm »
We did tomatoes and peppers last year using cloth pots. They work great, but do dry out so they need watering frequently. Last year half my tomatoes died due to me not knowing how to handle plants grown from seed so I supplemented with purchased plants. We had tomatoes last year from July until November.

This year I'm hoping all my tomatoes live to see the garden. I just transplanted half of them, some never sprouted so I replanted those. Our peppers did not come up this year. We had saved some red pepper and poblano seeds and that is looking like a bust. I gave away the seeds we had left over from last year for the varieties of tomatoes we did not like.

I had plans to build elaborate stands for the cloth pots, but think I'll just stick with having them on an old piece of trex. My wife is going to use some upright planters I got at Sam's this year for other vegetables.
If you put the pots in rows with the pots close together and pile up any sort of mulch: wood chips, straw, hay, leaves or whatever they will dry out much less than if you just put the pots on the ground. I don't recommend putting them on anything other than the ground. On the ground the cloth pots, and roots growing through them, will wick up moisture.
We got about six inches of sleet/ice/snow yesterday but should be able to plant peas, spinach, and lettuce in a few days. I prepared the bed and ammended the soil before the storm so it will be ready to go. I also put in about 50 fertilizer stakes in the orchard before the precipitation.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #1003 on: April 05, 2024, 08:18:41 pm »
My side yard isn't yard at all, it's pea gravel on landscape fabric. The Trex board is on that and the cloth pots on the Trex. I did have to separate some pots last year due to the size of the indeterminate tomato plants. I'll likely do it the same way this year. It's doesn't take long to give them water every few days.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline passedpawn

• 1st Kit
« Reply #1004 on: April 16, 2024, 03:29:37 pm »
Down here in FL I've got red tomatoes and Jalapenos coming off the plants now.  Some of the other peppers (superhots :) are not quite ready yet, but soon.  Also getting sweet banana peppers
- Andrew