Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Running - What have I gotten myself into?  (Read 24439 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Running - What have I gotten myself into?
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2012, 04:33:58 pm »
I would ask your doctor before I asked a bunch of random dudes on the internet.  Or semi-random at least ;D

It was more of a comment on the thread drift.

I have a physical scheduled for May so I'll get the once over (and once up inside... :-[) before I really get into this anyway.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2012, 04:34:44 pm »
So, I shouldn't run? 

HA!

I was going to say that i love that this thread has turned into a deep scientific discussion of nutrition.

but Graham pulled me back on topic.

I think if you really don't want to run you should tell yoru friends that your doctor (weithman  ;)) advised against it.

but if you sorta do want to do it you should.

on fasting. (okay so not all the way on topic) in my junior year in highschool I used to say I fasted for 23.5 hours a day every day as I was, for some reason not hungry at all that entire year and only ate when I forced myself once a day. a big lunch. dropped a lot of weight that year but I was also excercising a lot and 16 years old.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:15 pm »
I'm good with where it's going too.  I've already made up my mind.  I often forget that people can't hear my sarcasm and I forget to put in the smiley (I was headed back to edit in the smiley but I didn't get here in time).

Like I said before when I lost weight, it was all portion control and following general dietary guidelines concerning the proportion of food from each of the major food groups (and the major beverage group - I factored in 2 beer a day).

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2012, 04:40:36 pm »
Dude, it's been 24 hours since you posted this think. Get up off your ass and hit the pavement.  ;)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »
Hey, I did my program run this afternoon when I was supposed to be working.  It was on the treadmill so it may not count ;)

The Mrs and my two oldest (A and E) are headed out to running group right now (she's been doing this for a while).  A and E just got back from swimming practice and they want to go running.  If only I had the energy of a 12 year old.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2012, 05:38:00 pm »

I think if you really don't want to run you should tell yoru friends that your doctor (weithman  ;)) advised against it.

yeah, make the trip to chicago, bring some brew and a fish, i will give you a note to get you out of this. 8)
Don AHA member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2012, 05:51:52 pm »
Hey, I did my program run this afternoon when I was supposed to be working.  It was on the treadmill so it may not count ;)

The Mrs and my two oldest (A and E) are headed out to running group right now (she's been doing this for a while).  A and E just got back from swimming practice and they want to go running.  If only I had the energy of a 12 year old.

Treadmill counts! My wife loves her treadmill and I can't keep up with her on the road.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2012, 06:31:16 am »
Back to the advice... headphones! I used to run without headphones because I thought I preferred the sounds of nature to Audioslave while running. Boy was I wrong. Some good music or podcast (I like to listen to brewing podcasts while running) makes a huge difference. I suppose you already figured that out.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2012, 08:10:23 am »
I think what's important, is to be sure your distance is good enough that you can run to your doctor's office. :D

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2012, 08:30:18 am »
Here's my fitness story FWIW.  From 1992 to 2005 I was an oilfield consultant which meant I would be at a drilling location anywhere from 12 hours to a week at a time, living in my truck and eating a fine diet of microwave popcorn, canned soup, cold pizza, etc.  My cholesterol hit 365, my BP was (and still is) 110/70, and my weight had been steady at 185.  I got a new job, my first ever office job with normal hours , at the age of 48 so I started going to the gym.  Within months my weight hit 210 and has been steady there for 7 years now.  I do about 30 minutes of brisk walking on a treadmill or 30 minutes on an elliptical, then I spend about 30 minutes on free weights or different machines, and I do this 4 or 5 days per week.  It's almost like an addiction, if I travel and can't workout I get depressed.  My original goal was to be healthier at 50 than I was at 40, and I hit that pretty easily.  Now at 55 I want to be healthier at 60 than I was at 50 and that will be more elusive.  I've cut down on red meat considerably, try to eat one vegetarian meal a week, and I eat out less than once a month on average-I especially try to avoid Chinese buffets.
Running is out of the question for me.  Years of skiing at Taos during college left my knees and ankles screwed, and I wear a size 10 shoe with a 4H width, not an easy size to find in normal shoes, forget about trying to find good running shoes.
As for running with headphones, I lost a good friend  because she was listening to music and running so she didn't hear the car that ran the stop sign and killed her.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »
Finished the first 5k in 43 minutes, intermittent running and walking.  I would have gone faster, but I spent a lot of the time holding a 7 year old's hand, then we had to stop to get a drink and a hand stamp at the turn around, then we had to stop at the water fountain, then we had to stop to take off her coat, then we had to stop to puther coat back on. ::)  Good times though, I'm looking forward to the next one. ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Running - What have I gotten myself into?
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2012, 05:42:11 pm »
Good on you brotha!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2012, 06:49:23 pm »
Nice work Tom.  :)

I would have to walk a 5K at this point in time, so you have a headstart on me.  ::)
Ron Price

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2012, 07:12:20 pm »
I would have gone faster, but I spent a lot of the time holding a 7 year old's hand

I wonder if she's thinking..."I could have gone faster but I had to hold this old guys hand..."

Awesome.  I'm having a lot of trouble maintaining my enthusiasm. 
When's the next one?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »
;D

I'm not sure when the next one is, but the other 7 year old is raring to go.  He finished 2nd place in his grade.  I think it will just be the two of us next time. :)
Tom Schmidlin