Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 464745 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1110 on: April 11, 2011, 10:30:42 am »
So who won?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1111 on: April 11, 2011, 10:31:53 am »
So who won?

Yea Jim...who's the big winner.  :)
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #1112 on: April 11, 2011, 10:39:38 am »
Judges deemed it a tie ;).  As for the competitors,  I liked hers best, she liked mine.  Hers was more spicy with a cayenne/brown sugar base, mine was sweeter with brown sugar and powdered chipotle.  Can't say what all she put in hers.  Mine was a combo of powdered homegrown mesquite smoked chipotle, brown sugar, salt, green peppercorn, onion powder, garlic powder, and a combo spice powder I found in the spice rack of unknown composition and origin, but it tasted good so I used a little. ;D
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #1113 on: April 11, 2011, 10:41:26 am »
So is there a blend where you can take the parts you like of each and make a better rub?  Both sound great.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1114 on: April 11, 2011, 10:49:18 am »
I would stick with her basic recipe and maybe sweeten it up just a hair.  I like the fire of the cayenne,  The smokiness of the chipotle gets lost IMO.  They were both smoked with hickory and cooked for seven hours ~ 225F.  You could pick it apart with a fork, but it still held up well for slicing.  Nice and tender.  She said mine had better bark.  That could have been positioning on the grate though.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1115 on: April 11, 2011, 10:56:35 am »
I would stick with her basic recipe and maybe sweeten it up just a hair.  I like the fire of the cayenne,  The smokiness of the chipotle gets lost IMO.  They were both smoked with hickory and cooked for seven hours ~ 225F.  You could pick it apart with a fork, but it still held up well for slicing.  Nice and tender.  She said mine had better bark.  That could have been positioning on the grate though.

Brisket is one of the toughest (no pun intended) meats to BBQ. I was at a cookoff last year where this guy I know that has been competing and has won medals in some local comps smoked a brisket for us. It was good by all means but was just a tad bit on the tough side. He told me that brisket is his nemesis. I think the key to great brisket is low and slow with a good bark but a nice bite (spice). I like to use a dry rub that has some heat and a well balanced bbq sauce (sweet/spicy) for serving.
Ron Price

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1116 on: April 13, 2011, 09:25:47 am »
briskets both look good.  that's a difficult cut for sure.  sometimes brisket can turn out bad even if one does everything properly. 
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #1117 on: April 13, 2011, 09:28:11 am »
Just out of curiosity (something I'm considering trying) has anyone used red wine to brine/marinade a cut of beef before smoking? 

I use white wine for my chickens, I'm just wondering how red would do w/ beef(?)
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1118 on: April 13, 2011, 10:25:34 am »
Just out of curiosity (something I'm considering trying) has anyone used red wine to brine/marinade a cut of beef before smoking?  

I use white wine for my chickens, I'm just wondering how red would do w/ beef(?)

Absolutely.

I've used red wine as a flavor component in marinades before. I would blend it with some salt, spices and sugar along with a small amount of olive oil and soak overnight. There are varying ways to use red wine as a marinade. Do a quick internet search and you'll find assorted recipes using red wine marinades for beef. I like using it for kebobs best.
Ron Price

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #1119 on: April 13, 2011, 10:32:43 am »

Absolutely.

I've used red wine as a flavor component in marinades before. I would blend it with some salt, spices and sugar along with a small amount of olive oil and soak overnight. There are varying ways to use red wine as a marinade. Do a quick internet search and you'll find assorted recipes using red wine marinades for beef. I like using it for kebobs best.

You pretty much described my plan.  Mixing the wine w/ the salt, sugar, etc. etc. for an overnight brining (my standard).  Cool.  Smoking this weekend it is! 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #1120 on: April 13, 2011, 10:35:30 am »
A cheap, but drinkable burgundy type wine (pinot noir) works great with brisket.  Just through in some crushed garlic, onion, salt and pepper, and additional spices of your choosing and let sit overnight in the fridge.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1121 on: April 13, 2011, 11:01:27 am »
Will have to try the wine brine. Wasn't sure if it was appropriate to do this with a brisket. I have an injector. Hmmm. Possibilities.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Bret

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #1122 on: April 13, 2011, 11:04:07 am »
I love to marinate lamb chops in red wine, garlic, and rosemary before grilling.
Member #: 900000767

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #1123 on: April 13, 2011, 11:07:52 am »
Will have to try the wine brine. Wasn't sure if it was appropriate to do this with a brisket. I have an injector. Hmmm. Possibilities.

That's likely what I'll be trying it on - a brisket.  Overnight (or more) brining and then into the smoker sloooooow & low.   8)
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #1124 on: April 13, 2011, 11:12:00 am »
I love to marinate lamb chops in red wine, garlic, and rosemary before grilling.

+1.  Remember salt and pepper, too.