Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Style  (Read 462714 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: BBQ Style
« Reply #1440 on: July 25, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »
Smoked some Pastrami & Buckboard Bacon on Sunday. I bought the Corned Beef on sale back around St. Patrick's Day for $1.48/lb. I soaked it for a day changing the water a few times to reduce some of the salt. Then coated it with cracked pepper and coriander seed.  The Buckboard Bacon was a whole pork loin cured with Morton Tenderquick for 6 days & then soaked in water to reduce the salt.  I gota say, the Buckboard Bacon was a real hit! Here are a few pics of the Q.  Cheers!!!

On the Smoker:

Looking good...are you smoking the Buckboard Bacon dry (no water in the pan)?...and what time/temp did you use?
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1441 on: July 25, 2011, 01:07:45 pm »

Looking good...are you smoking the Buckboard Bacon dry (no water in the pan)?...and what time/temp did you use?

I gave up using water in the pan for all smokes. I just use sand in the pan now & cover it with foil. Easy cleanup!! 

I smoked the Bacon @ ~250F to an internal of 150F. Don't remember the exact amount of time but they came off long before the Pastrami.

I took the Pastrami to 165F internal and then wrapped in foil with some water & took to 190F internal (more or less steamed it)

Cheers!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1442 on: August 01, 2011, 08:45:18 pm »
I Like this thread over at the brethren, maybe a good idea for this Thread.

We have seen your brew areas, now show your BBQ area. ;D

Here is my outdoor kitchen. Not much I know, Kinda rustic, I am a less is more kinda guy.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #1443 on: August 02, 2011, 02:32:53 am »
Nice! It looks awesome, like an old timey camp site!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #1444 on: August 02, 2011, 07:48:36 am »
cap rocks!!!

i finally got back into my photobucket to post the rest of the pictures from this weekends cooks.....

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #1445 on: August 02, 2011, 12:40:25 pm »
Yum!

I gotta try doing avocados like that.

And Cap the local electric company suggest cooking outside as a way to reduce the monthly bill and energy use. So +1 tot the outside kitchen!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1446 on: August 02, 2011, 01:17:31 pm »
Nice photos gentlemen!   8)

Cap...I will have to take a pic of my backyard bbq the next time I get a chance.

Deepsouth...your food presentations just keep getting better and better all the time.
Ron Price

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #1447 on: August 02, 2011, 05:08:59 pm »
Man deepsouth that food does look top o the line.

I have had this image of a fried soft shell crab and bacon club sandwitch. Just havent done it yet.

Double decker with bacon, soft shell crabs lettuce tomatoes and tartar sauce. It just would have to be good.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
  • ---Michael Dieterle--------- ---Seattle, WA
    • Beer Monger - Adventures In the Wonderful World of Beer.
« Reply #1448 on: August 17, 2011, 10:38:14 am »
I've smoked plenty of pork, but I've never smoked any specifically to make pulled pork.

I'll finally be doing that this weekend.  For those who've made pulled pork before, do you reccommend I brine the pork shoulder first or not?  When I do pork roasts, I usually brine overnight in white wine. 

Thanks guys!  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog
Follow my Beer Monger page on Facebook!

Drink responsibly and stay safe out there.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1449 on: August 17, 2011, 10:43:48 am »
Brining is not necessary, but will definitely add another layer of flavor to the finished product. I typically use a dry rub, although sometimes I'll marinate a shoulder overnight then add a rub just prior to smoking. White wine would probably get lost in the rich smokiness of the pork and spices but wouldn't hurt. Let us know how it turns out. Post pics please.  :)
Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1450 on: August 17, 2011, 10:46:19 am »
I've smoked plenty of pork, but I've never smoked any specifically to make pulled pork.

I'll finally be doing that this weekend.  For those who've made pulled pork before, do you recommend I brine the pork shoulder first or not?  When I do pork roasts, I usually brine overnight in white wine.  

Thanks guys!  :)  
Never brined a pork butt/shoulder before.  All I do is dry it off with paper towels, coat it with Olive Oil, apply a rub, let it sit covered overnight in the fridge & then on the smoker right out of the fridge. The colder the meat is the better it will absorb the smoke. Smoke it at 250F to ~165F internal temp, foil it with some apple juice or water (1/2") and take it up to ~200F internal. Once it's in the foil I usually run the smoker up  to 350F to speed things along. Butts are very forging! Wrap it in a towel & put it in a cooler for a couple of hours. Take it out, drain off the liquid (or save it for later) and pull it. Add a little rub and apple juice (or saved liquid but think fat),  and serve it up on a bun or what ever...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #1451 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:44 am »
Hmmmm  OK...

After the 2 responses I got (thanks guys), I'm gonna:

-Brine for a few hours in white wine (instead of overnight)
-Then apply a dry-rub, wrap in plastic wrap & refrigerate overnight

Next day - 6-8 hours in the smoker until it's yum, yum time.  :) 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #1452 on: August 17, 2011, 10:54:21 am »
Don't wanna sway your thoughts too much but I'm thinking the white wine might be better utilized by the cook during the smoke. I'm thinking it will be lost in the smoke from the wood, unless you're not planning to smoke it.  Just a thought anyway.  Cheers!!!

Edit: If you injected the white wine it might shine through...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:56:36 am by hamiltont »

Offline Beer Monger

• Brewer
« Reply #1453 on: August 17, 2011, 11:05:10 am »
I don't necessarily want the wine flavor in the meat, but I've found that brining pork in white wine makes it insanely tender & juicy (in my experience). 

The last brisket I brined overnight in red wine - the red wine flavor defintely came through strong - even after 7-8 hours in the smoker. 
Beer Monger's Blog

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #1454 on: August 17, 2011, 12:47:44 pm »
Red wine is a lot more flavorful than white wine. If you smoke low and slow, then foil and wrap with towels in a cooler for several hours, you will undoubtedly have a tender and juicy pork shoulder. With or without the wine. I definitely recommend a dry rub overnight at minimum.
Ron Price