Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Upflow Sparging  (Read 5051 times)

Offline dnicholson

• 1st Kit
Upflow Sparging
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »
Has anyone tried to distribute sparge water with screen or something in bottom and sparge from bottom up and collect wort from the top?

cornershot

Re: Upflow Sparging
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 12:38:12 pm »
Never heard of it. What would the benefits be? How would you prevent channeling?

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 12:51:52 pm »
I love outside the box thinking....but, you would certainly be leaving a lot of liquor behind unless you compressed the grain bed somehow.
Explain what you feel you would accomplish by this.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 01:07:48 pm »
You could do this for rims or HERMS but this would not work for sparging.
From pro sides you would never have stuck sparge.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 02:38:19 pm »
Interesting concept.  Like everyone else said I'm sure you would leave a lot behind.

Just a wacky idea here, but you could draw half (+/-) off the top and then reverse and drain off the bottom.  It'd be like fly sparging up and batch sparging down.  Call it Upsidedown batch sparging :)

Offline mxrob

• 1st Kit
  • StoneHouse Brewer
    • StoneHouse Brewery
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 04:21:03 pm »
Certainly something to think about... since the SG of the sparge water increases as it picks up sugar you certainly would want to finish sparging from the top down to rinse the most sugar from the bed.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 10:00:53 am »
I just can't see any reason this would be a good thing.  What benefits could there be to the standard method?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline seefish

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 10:38:20 am »
Not sure about the benefits but I'm pretty sure that is how the Speidel Braumeister does it. 

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 10:41:01 am »
I toyed with this ideal a decade ago. It fits my profession since I'm also a geotechnical engineer and groundwater flow through soil is similar to wort flow through a grain bed. 

Sure, this option reduces the potential to hydraulically compact the grain bed. However, the intake for the wort discharge at the top of the bed is not easy to accomplish. In addition, you would eventually have to drain the bed from the bottom or you would not be able to get the final runnings out of the bed. 

With proper control and monitoring of the flow rate through the bed, you can easily avoid compacting the grain bed. My bottom line was that the upflow design was not worth the effort.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 11:32:54 am »
Not sure it relates to sparging exactly, but a friend of mine has a Speidel Braumeister.  In watching him brew, the entire mash cycle is an upflow.  A filter screen on top keeps the grain in the basket as the wort is pumped up from below.  At the end the whole grain basket is lifted out of the kettle/wort to drain completely.  (I know most of you will know the specifics of the process, but I add it for those who may not.)
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 11:34:48 am »
Not sure it relates to sparging exactly, but a friend of mine has a Speidel Braumeister.  In watching him brew, the entire mash cycle is an upflow.  A filter screen on top keeps the grain in the basket as the wort is pumped up from below.  At the end the whole grain basket is lifted out of the kettle/wort to drain completely.  (I know most of you will know the specifics of the process, but I add it for those who may not.)

so it's more of a brew in a bag sort of thing? underlet the grain to mashin/step and then pull the whole grain mass to 'sparge'?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 11:52:37 am »
so it's more of a brew in a bag sort of thing? underlet the grain to mashin/step and then pull the whole grain mass to 'sparge'?

Exactly.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 11:59:47 am »

Exactly.

so it's a 3000$ BIAB system. hmm.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 01:47:28 pm »

Yes.  Though only $2000 for the 20 liter model.  On top of that the heating elements are underpowered, and the grain capacity limits the brewer to non-imperial beers unless malt extract is added.  It is kind of cool though.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 02:01:28 pm »

Yes.  Though only $2000 for the 20 liter model.  On top of that the heating elements are underpowered, and the grain capacity limits the brewer to non-imperial beers unless malt extract is added.  It is kind of cool though.

no doubt, it's super shiny and fancy looking. And for folks with a strong desire to make their own beer from grain and more money than time, why not.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce