Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single malt and high mash temp  (Read 9700 times)

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Single malt and high mash temp
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2013, 08:41:52 am »
I don't know of many breweries anywhere who would give a lot more detail than we have for this beer (if as much).  We have :        OG
                                 FG
                                 Mash Temp
                                 Hop Schedule
                                 Hop Varieties
                                 Yeast Strain
                                 90% 2 row
                                 10% C60

Clearly with a mash temp that high you would probably need to use some gypsum to dry the finish out a bit. I'm at a loss here.   :o
I'm not complaining about what info they did give, its great that they gave any, they didn't have to. Just here to discuss it. SN and everyone else have different processes, just trying to make the right adjustments.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2013, 08:54:27 am »
Those fine adjustments are such a crap shoot though.  Even if we had every aspect of their process, the jump from brewery to home, and system to system make it really tough. Personally I don't want a perfect clone. I like to get in the ballpark, but have something still my own unique beer. But we can all brew what we like, that's the fun !
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2013, 09:38:49 am »
I don't know of many breweries anywhere who would give a lot more detail than we have for this beer (if as much).  We have :        OG
                                 FG
                                 Mash Temp
                                 Hop Schedule
                                 Hop Varieties
                                 Yeast Strain
                                 90% 2 row
                                 10% C60

Clearly with a mash temp that high you would probably need to use some gypsum to dry the finish out a bit. I'm at a loss here.   :o
I'm not complaining about what info they did give, its great that they gave any, they didn't have to. Just here to discuss it. SN and everyone else have different processes, just trying to make the right adjustments.

As both Vinnie Chilurzo and Ken Grossman have said, you can have the same ingredients, but you don't have the equipment or process. You can make something like it, but not identical too it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2013, 10:29:00 am »
                                 FG
                                 Mash Temp
                                 Hop Schedule
                                 Hop Varieties
                                 Yeast Strain
                                 90% 2 row
                                 10% C60

As both Vinnie Chilurzo and Ken Grossman have said, you can have the same ingredients, but you don't have the equipment or process. You can make something like it, but not identical too it.
I understand this, which is why I was looking for more information on their process to adjust mine accordingly. the only reason I "try" to get it perfect is to learn more on making adjustments of process on my system (and its an awesome beer).

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2013, 10:58:46 am »
                                 FG
                                 Mash Temp
                                 Hop Schedule
                                 Hop Varieties
                                 Yeast Strain
                                 90% 2 row
                                 10% C60

I understand this, which is why I was looking for more information on their process to adjust mine accordingly. the only reason I "try" to get it perfect is to learn more on making adjustments of process on my system (and its an awesome beer).

OK, understand that you are looking for those last steps to get there. Those often are the hardest. It is a long journey sometimes. Good luck.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2013, 11:07:15 am »
I've had zero success cloning anything, but on occasion something I brew tastes a lot like a commercial beer. Once I was trying for an IPA and it tasted a lot like Deschutes Mirror Pond. So I just told people it was my version of MP. Impressed! They just didn't know I fell way short of what I wad trying to make. I know this doesn't help the OP, but now I feel involved lol

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2013, 11:10:04 am »
At NHC in Orlando years back,  I was served no fewer than 10 versions of my Rye IPA made by different people.  Quite a few of them had gone to great lengths to make it as close to mine as they possibly could.  Not one of them tasted like mine.  The point is that brewing someone else's recipe and expecting it to be just like their beer may be an unreasonable expectation.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2013, 12:04:57 pm »
Besides, everyone knows that clones have no soul.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 07:34:11 pm »
At NHC in Orlando years back,  I was served no fewer than 10 versions of my Rye IPA made by different people.  Quite a few of them had gone to great lengths to make it as close to mine as they possibly could.  Not one of them tasted like mine.  The point is that brewing someone else's recipe and expecting it to be just like their beer may be an unreasonable expectation.

But, if it's your RIPA recipe it's still gonna be a good beer, unless the brewer really screws something up in the process...it is consistently the asked for beer from those who try mine!  I have even had several folks want to pay me to brew them a full batch - of course I don't do that, but that is one recipe that has always pleased my crew.  Clone or no, it's a crowd pleaser.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 02:40:42 pm »
                                 FG
                                 Mash Temp
                                 Hop Schedule
                                 Hop Varieties
                                 Yeast Strain
                                 90% 2 row
                                 10% C60

OK, understand that you are looking for those last steps to get there. Those often are the hardest. It is a long journey sometimes. Good luck.
thanks,  just got an email from SN with a homebrew recipe and some other info. Replied back for a little more info, so far I am impressed.  Will see how the second response goes

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 03:06:53 pm by natebriscoe »

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2013, 12:46:43 pm »
So I figered out a better recipe for celebration ale for the homebrew scale than the one given from SN.

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2013, 01:09:31 pm »
So I figered out a better recipe for celebration ale for the homebrew scale than the one given from SN.

Care to share?

FWIW Nate, the beer you brewed from the original recipe is quite good. I'm very happy that I have another bottle of it in the fridge waiting for me when I get home.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 01:21:25 pm »

How can it be better?  FWIW, I kegged my latest version yesterday.  Started at 1.064, finished at 1.012.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2013, 01:21:37 pm »

Care to share?

FWIW Nate, the beer you brewed from the original recipe is quite good. I'm very happy that I have another bottle of it in the fridge waiting for me when I get home.
ok, now this is all on my direct fired rims system (it seems to make a difference on the amount of crystal malts) I find 95 percent us pale ale malt at 3L and 5 percent English c60 is a lot closer than 90/10 us 2 row / c60. Then adjust your mash temp to your system to hit 1.016. Mine is 154f.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:25 pm »

How can it be better?  FWIW, I kegged my latest version yesterday.  Started at 1.064, finished at 1.012.
well I get no toasted malt character using 2L 2 row and 10 percent Crystal is to much on my system (way to sweet) your results may very.