Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single malt and high mash temp  (Read 9701 times)

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Single malt and high mash temp
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2013, 02:13:33 pm »
So I figered out a better recipe for celebration ale for the homebrew scale than the one given from SN.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

How can it be better?  FWIW, I kegged my latest version yesterday.  Started at 1.064, finished at 1.012.
Denny, I would be interested to know if you get much of a toast flavor using 2L 2 row?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2013, 02:38:41 pm »
So I figered out a better recipe for celebration ale for the homebrew scale than the one given from SN.

How can it be better?  FWIW, I kegged my latest version yesterday.  Started at 1.064, finished at 1.012.
Denny, I would be interested to know if you get much of a toast flavor using 2L 2 row?

I can't really say about the toast flavor, but it tastes remarkably like Celebration.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2013, 02:50:10 pm »

I can't really say about the toast flavor, but it tastes remarkably like Celebration.
I have made several versions using standard 2 row and thier similar, just did one with pale ale malt (just getting ready to dry hop) and it is a lot closer. Also feel the toastyness helps dry out the finish a lot. not saying thats how SN does it, but at the homebrew scale I find it to be a lot closer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2013, 11:47:49 am »
I have made several versions using standard 2 row and thier similar, just did one with pale ale malt (just getting ready to dry hop) and it is a lot closer. Also feel the toastyness helps dry out the finish a lot. not saying thats how SN does it, but at the homebrew scale I find it to be a lot closer.

Tried mine again yesterday after posting and there's a definite toastiness to it.  I'll have to get some more Celebration to compare.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2013, 12:12:58 pm »

Tried mine again yesterday after posting and there's a definite toastiness to it.  I'll have to get some more Celebration to compare.
Interesting, what maltsters did your grains come from?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2013, 02:34:13 pm »

Rahr 2 row pale, Briess organic 2 row C60.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2013, 03:41:41 pm »

Rahr 2 row pale, Briess organic 2 row C60.
hmm, those are pretty neutral us malts. I use canada and Simpsons and get nothing but Carmel sweetness.