Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Single malt and high mash temp  (Read 9702 times)

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
Single malt and high mash temp
« on: November 27, 2013, 11:47:43 am »
I was looking for some feedback on using a base malt only and mashing at say 158f while using cal ale yeast. All the calculators say it should finish at 1.020-22. In my experience mashing at 156f, the lowest i can get the fg is 1.018. All of this is because i look at a recipe from a commercial brewery that is 90% base and 10% caramel and mashes at 158f, with cal ale yeast and getting to 1.016 fg. which i can't get to. Any thoughts?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Single malt and high mash temp
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:54:19 am »
I was looking for some feedback on using a base malt only and mashing at say 158f while using cal ale yeast. All the calculators say it should finish at 1.020-22. In my experience mashing at 156f, the lowest i can get the fg is 1.018. All of this is because i look at a recipe from a commercial brewery that is 90% base and 10% caramel and mashes at 158f, with cal ale yeast and getting to 1.016 fg. which i can't get to. Any thoughts?

First, forget what any calculators say.  They're only guessing and they my be right and they may not.  They're pretty much just looking at yeast attenuation ratings, which are not necessarily a good way to predict attenuation.   

Have you calibrated your thermometers?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 11:57:19 am »

First, forget what any calculators say.  They're only guessing and they my be right and they may not.  They're pretty much just looking at yeast attenuation ratings, which are not necessarily a good way to predict attenuation.   

+1 to calibrating your instruments. I can often get a 1.060ish beer mashed at 155-158 to finish in the 1.012ish range.

"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 11:58:35 am »

well i'm not going on the calculators only, from experience 156 puts me at 1.018. The calculators are almost always dead on for me and I am using several very accurate thermometers.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 11:59:26 am »

+1 to calibrating your instruments. I can often get a 1.060ish beer mashed at 155-158 to finish in the 1.012ish range.
what's your procedure? Mash out?

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 12:05:06 pm »
Denny, with your contacts at SN do they do a mashout of any type? May just be a difference in process.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 12:13:44 pm »
Denny, with your contacts at SN do they do a mashout of any type? May just be a difference in process.

IIRC, I think they do.  But I doubt that explains things.  I can ask them, but it will be a while since we're into Thanksgiving now.

ETA:  OK, went back and checked info and there is nothing to indicate they do anything other than a single infusion for this beer.  We I was there brewing an alt for Beer Camp, we did a step mash (at their brewer's insistence) but I don't recall if there was a mashout.  Maybe Jeff will have some info from when he was there.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:23:05 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 12:21:37 pm »

IIRC, I think they do.  But I doubt that explains things.  I can ask them, but it will be a while since we're into Thanksgiving now.

How do you know your thermometers are accurate?
I have checked them all to 2 lab thermometers. Matching up with beersmith also makes me feel that thier pretty close. Also before I did mashouts my fg would come in lower than the calculators.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 12:23:51 pm »
Also before I did mashouts my fg would come in lower than the calculators.

Are you fly sparging?

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 12:24:38 pm »

This would mean that your mash rested longer at sacc rest temps, which would have promoted more attenuative wort, I think.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 02:44:57 pm »

Are you fly sparging?
yes, with a mashout prior to.

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 02:48:12 pm »

This would mean that your mash rested longer at sacc rest temps, which would have promoted more attenuative wort, I think.
that's correct, which is why I had to go to a mashout.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 02:51:59 pm »

I'm confused, if you want greater attenuation and you have noticed greater attenuation when you skip the mashout step then try skipping the mashout step. Perhaps you are not getting full beta conversion and denaturing the beta amylase with your mashout step before it has done all it can do with that mash.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 02:52:30 pm »
Ok, so, what would be the major difference between using a lower mash temp vs not mashing out and getting a more fermentable wort?

Offline natebriscoe

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 02:59:24 pm »

I'm confused, if you want greater attenuation and you have noticed greater attenuation when you skip the mashout step then try skipping the mashout step. Perhaps you are not getting full beta conversion and denaturing the beta amylase with your mashout step before it has done all it can do with that mash.
because I'm trying to follow a commercial recipe, which has a mash temp of 158f (less beta more alpa). But I can't seem to make those numbers work. Would I be missing something in the body/mouthfeel by just using a lower mash temp or mashing high with no mashout.