Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Planting hop rhizomes  (Read 10815 times)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Re: Planting hop rhizomes
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 11:55:41 am »
Hmmm . . I'm certainly no gardening expert, but I have never heard of trimming the roots on any established plant as a matter of maintenance. What's the thinking behind that?
Just brew it...

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 12:00:12 pm »
Well, for my part it was unintentional. I was digging in a circle around the hill with a sharpened e-tool (best. gardening. implement. ever.) to make sure the rhizomes weren't spreading and I sliced clean through this root. So I pulled it out.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 10:57:01 pm »
no big loss.  there's plenty more where that came from.  you're lucky you didn't hit one of the BIG ones that go straight down.  when you hit one-a-them-boys your foot usually bounces off the shovel and you end up limping for a couple days.  i've learned just to go down about the depth of the spade as that's where most of the rhizomes are.  if you happen to miss one or two, they usually rear their heads in a week or so.  just go back in and sever their tie from the crown.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 12:28:08 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what happens if you don't trim the roots back? I just tried doing mine last week and I pulled out a good twelve footer. Got me wondering if I was hurting production by doing that. The big concern I had was the varieties intermingling, but I couldn't decide if intermingled feeder roots had any impact on that.
If you don't trim the roots back they will take over your yard.  You're not cutting near the main crown so it doesn't hurt the plants at all.  The roots can grow 2 or 3 feet per year in every direction, then you start having sprouts coming up all along those roots.  I guess that's fine if you have all the room in the world, but it would also make it very hard to trellis the bines if they cover an area 5 or 6 feet in diameter per plant.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 03:08:38 pm »
roots and rhizomes are two different structures.  rhizomes are underground vegetative stems with shoots/buds capable of producing new plants.  roots are primarily involved with water and nutrient uptake.  they have no buds so they pose no threat when it comes to your hop plant taking over an area.  they're just down there doin' their thing.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 06:56:57 pm »
That was my understanding as well.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 05:22:35 am »
roots and rhizomes are two different structures. 

Is it true that roots do not have the ability to sprout?

I would really be in trouble if they did. 

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 05:59:51 am »
that's right.  no buds, no sprouts.  sometimes it's kinda tough to determine which is which being that in many cases they're growing in very close proximity and certain rhizomes have very small buds that are hard to see let alone feel.  if you run your fingers down along the rhizome you can usually feel little bumps(nodes) about 6 inches apart if you can't see the buds.  the roots are mostly smooth and (usually) a little darker.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 07:25:32 am »
I normally look for the buds poking up out of the ground where they oughtn't be, but this year I thought I'd try that cutting indiscriminately around the hill thing. I'm not sure I'd do that again.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 03:33:21 pm »
I have them in a bucket now. Are they ready to transfer and start training them on a trellis or something?

Wow, I think I am in love.

Thanks for the introduction Paul.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2010, 09:55:39 pm »
Yup, plant 'em. You want a couple more? I just cut off a couple rhizomes today.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 03:31:44 pm »
Sure, I would love to have more. Can one have to many?

I was also wondering. What is the process for taking them with me when I move? Cause I really want to move. I hate it here.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 08:09:47 pm »
I, uh, sort of lost them. I think I may have chucked them in the yard and mowed over them. I do have more that I haven't cut yet under my deck if you see yourself coming up this way anytime soon.

When I moved I dug up the root ball, put it in a bucket, and replanted at the new place. They're insanely hardy. So much so that some people consider them weeds. Crazy people, like my sister in law who drove herself crazy trying to get rid of them in her back yard.

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 09:29:14 am »
a general question - I got Rhizomes about 3 weeks ago and they've sat in my fridge since then.  From what I'm hearing I should put them in a planter before transplanting to the yard?  Am I too late to get them in the ground this year?

Also, what can be used to contain the Rhizomes in their planted area?  Any kind of in-ground 'box' they can be put it?  I'd prefer not to have to dig up my yard to keep them from taking over!

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 10:30:54 am »
Also, what can be used to contain the Rhizomes in their planted area?  Any kind of in-ground 'box' they can be put it?  I'd prefer not to have to dig up my yard to keep them from taking over!

Generally, you can use any regular, cheap ol' plastic planter with drainage holes, and bury the whole thing.  It keeps most of the roots in check, plus you can pack it with really a really good soil/compost/manure mix, and dig it up if you ever move.  Wish I;d done that, come to think of it...