Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Planting hop rhizomes  (Read 10816 times)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Planting hop rhizomes
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:43:07 pm »
Got some hop rhizomes from wzl46 today. Dude has been hookin me up!!

With great anticipation I plan on planting them.

Should I just till some soil and add some fertilizer?

Any other green thumb tricks I should know about.

Not much of a green thumb myself, grew some plants closely related to hops years ago but not sure that it is the same.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Re: Planting hop rhizomes
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 05:58:03 pm »
I don't know if it's the right way, but I dug a hole in our lovely clay about the size of a 5 gallon bucket, filled it in most of the way with soil and composted manure (50/50), planted the rhizome, then piled a good mound of 50/50 on top of it. Once they poked up I mulched.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 09:36:50 am »
I would start them out in a small pot (1 gallon) with some decent potting soil to get them somewhat rooted and then transfer them in May to their permanant home in the ground. Pick a location that gets a good amount of sun in your house for now like a window sill.  You will need to fertilize them at some frequency after they have established. Read this article and go from there.

http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.3/montell.html
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 09:42:02 am »
I dig a hole (not as big as a 5 gal. bucket, though!), add compost, and stick 'em in the ground.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 09:46:45 am »
I dig a hole (not as big as a 5 gal. bucket, though!), add compost, and stick 'em in the ground.

+1

Organic compost is the best for hops.
Ron Price

Offline diybrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • Owner of DIY Brewing Supply.
    • DIY Brewing Supply
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 12:14:54 pm »
For planting rhizomes the best way to do it is a dig a hole about 1 foot deep. Fill with a 50/50 blend of compost and dirt. Plant the rhizomes so that they have the white vine looking parts about 1 inch under the ground and they should be pointed up. Then top with a layer of compost. Water until saturated once a week and then let dry.over the week. Do this for the first two months then start watering every other week. After about a month or when your vines are about 1 foot start training them.

You should start them in a pot if your outside temperature is still going below freezing every night. But if you are in a warmer climate then you can just start them outside.
If you want to download our growing guide just click http://www.diybrewing.com/recipes/hop pamphlet.doc
DIY Brewing Supply owner. 
The best beer I ever had is the one I have in my hand.
DIY Brewing Supply

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 05:04:04 pm »

Compost FTW

Also, put them on a little bit of a hill and create something of a moat in the middle.
One: To keep the nasty beasts away  :P
Seriously, the hill will prevent them from rotting early in their life and the moat will provide even moisture to said hill.

Good luck, hop growing is very rewarding  8)
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:29:12 pm »
Thanks guys, this really helps. I planned on doing it today but ran out of time.

Im gonna ddo it tomorrow

Its been pretty warm around here.

I have a bunch of ground hogs, skunks and rabbits out there. Wondering now what I can do to keep them away?
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 06:40:21 pm »

I'm guessing your soil isn't 4 solid feet of red clay and shale.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:31:19 pm »

Gotta love our soil in these parts.  ::)
Ron Price

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 07:26:04 am »

Gotta love our soil in these parts.  ::)

Nickname of the part of my town that we live in is Rock Village................took about three years of work to get the gardens soil where we wanted it.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 07:57:16 am »
Could be worse. Up by my in-laws, any "digging" requires blasting. Neighbors had a pool put in a couple years back. That was interesting.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 07:13:40 am »
Plant them where they'll get plenty of sun.  Also remember that the roots grow amazingly fast so you'll need to plant them in a place you can get to them to trim the roots every 2 or 3 years.  Also don't plant them near tomatoes, I don't remember why but they don't like each other.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 09:48:07 am »
Just out of curiosity, what happens if you don't trim the roots back? I just tried doing mine last week and I pulled out a good twelve footer. Got me wondering if I was hurting production by doing that. The big concern I had was the varieties intermingling, but I couldn't decide if intermingled feeder roots had any impact on that.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 09:57:51 am »
I don't pull the roots. The crown is the heart of the hops and should be left untouched. I only clip the vines back in the fall. I leave about 12" of vine exposed above ground.
Ron Price