Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423567 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2295 on: May 26, 2018, 03:23:37 pm »
I brewed what I hope is the final version of my American mild yesterday.  Hoping to find time to do a pils over the weekend.

May is American Mild Month.  It’s all about encouraging American breweries to brew and have available during May one of the following beer styles:

English Dark Mild
English Pale Mild
American Mild Ale

http://www.mildmonth.com/2018/03/american-mild-month-2018.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2296 on: May 26, 2018, 04:18:37 pm »
I brewed what I hope is the final version of my American mild yesterday.  Hoping to find time to do a pils over the weekend.

May is American Mild Month.  It’s all about encouraging American breweries to brew and have available during May one of the following beer styles:

English Dark Mild
English Pale Mild
American Mild Ale

Cool!  Looks like I'm ahead of the curve!  I wish they would have specified all American ingredients, which is what I'm doing.  That makes it more of a challenge IMO.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2297 on: May 26, 2018, 06:35:45 pm »

English Dark Mild
English Pale Mild
American Mild Ale

Cool!  Looks like I'm ahead of the curve!  I wish they would have specified all American ingredients, which is what I'm doing.  That makes it more of a challenge IMO.
Well, it's American, right?

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2298 on: May 28, 2018, 07:48:30 am »
Contrary to the all-American Mild, yesterday I brewed a strong ale with German malt, American hops, and British yeast.  I call it, "NATO is Strong Ale."

OG 1.064, 10 gallons

27.5 lbs. Avangard pale ale malt

16 gallons MacDonald pass spring water with 2 tsp gypsum and 2 tsp CaCl added to it.

Mash-in at 152 for 90 min

6 oz. Amarillo FWH
3.7 oz. Galaxy 30 min
2 oz. Cascade knockout

Boil for 2 hours

Add to two fermentors with yeast cakes, WY1469 West Yorkshire and WY 1318 London III.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2299 on: May 28, 2018, 08:53:39 am »
I am brewing something (single malt, single hop) with 20 pounds of my brother’s Double Eagle Vienna 2-row malt from Philly.  I am going to hop it with Belma hops and split the fermentation, five gallons with 2308 Munich Lager and five with 3724 Saison.  I am not exactly sure what I am going to get, but it sounds good in my head.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2300 on: May 28, 2018, 09:52:33 am »
I am brewing something (single malt, single hop) with 20 pounds of my brother’s Double Eagle Vienna 2-row malt from Philly.  I am going to hop it with Belma hops and split the fermentation, five gallons with 2308 Munich Lager and five with 3724 Saison.  I am not exactly sure what I am going to get, but it sounds good in my head.

Well, you've got a pretty good head!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2301 on: May 28, 2018, 10:14:04 am »

Well, you've got a pretty good head!
It smells great so far.  The mash, not my head.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #2302 on: May 28, 2018, 02:04:13 pm »
I am brewing a Munich Dunkel.  Just beginning to boil, my mash efficiency was above expected and it’s smelling awesome in my basement brewery!  Great day indeed!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2303 on: May 28, 2018, 07:46:10 pm »
Trying something new (for me).  50/50 pils and wheat for a Berliner Weisse.  Mashed last night and transferred to boil kettle.   Added 5 ml lactic acid then raised temp to pasteurize and chilled to 95°.  Pitched 2 GoodBelly Plus Shots (used mango flavor) and a vial of WLP672 Lactobacillus Brevis.  Set the temp controller on my Blichmann boilcoils to 95° F. 
24 hours later and pH reads 3.36.  Boiling now, will chill and ferment with WY1007.  Smells terrific down here in the basement. 

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #2304 on: June 02, 2018, 12:34:15 pm »
This is my APA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:35:50 pm by BrewBama »

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2305 on: June 02, 2018, 12:58:18 pm »
I have a brass one with no spring that opens and closes by lifting the top section.  The bottom part is heavy enough that just lifting and sliding the top part up stops the flow. Unfortunately I just spent some time searching the interwebs and cannot find it anywhere.  I have had it so long I can’t remember where it came from, but if I can find a source I will post it.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #2306 on: June 02, 2018, 01:21:44 pm »
Had a half pound of cascade hops in the freezer that were harvested in Ohio and pelletized. No idea on the IBU but they were free, so I decided to use them all today in a late hopped pale ale.   
Grain bill:
92% Pale malt
7% Crystal 10
1% Acid malt
OG: 1.058
Hops:
First wort: .5 oz Warrior
5 min: 2 oz Cascade, .5 oz Amarillo
Whirlpool: 3 oz Cascade, .5 oz Amarillo
Yeast: Imperial Yeast Barbarian (No starter)
Will dry hop with the remaining 3 oz of Cascade.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2307 on: June 04, 2018, 04:26:51 pm »
Damn!! Nothing yet, still putting the final touches on the basement brewery. Just when I thought the RO system was the final move...BOOM... I need a glycol chiller! DIY out of a 5000 BTU window A/C. One more weekend and I'll be making a clone of Creature Comfort Reclaimed Rye.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 04:30:53 pm by HopDen »

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2308 on: June 16, 2018, 06:26:21 am »
Just hit my first mash step for a Cream Ale Redeaux. I had trouble with the first attempt.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2309 on: June 16, 2018, 06:50:36 am »
Just hit my first mash step for a Cream Ale Redeaux. I had trouble with the first attempt.

Who doesnt love a cream ale/kolsch this time of year.  I just kegged my cream ale with 029 10 days ago.

I'm having fun demonstrating an extract brewday at the LHBS today.  Owners Citric Cycle IPA extract kit. Should be a nice day for it.  If anyone in Indy is interested in hanging out.  Swing by Final Gravity homebrew on east Thompson rd, swing by from 10a-1:30p and have a beer with me.  Or heckle me.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)