Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing this Weekend?  (Read 423612 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3195 on: March 04, 2021, 07:54:36 am »
Bangers & Mash

72% maris otter
20% flaked oats
8% uk crystal 45L

10g Horizon 45 min
14g Cascade 45 min
7g Cascade 20 min
7g Cascade 5 min

~24 IBU
S-04
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3196 on: March 04, 2021, 02:26:13 pm »
Mark started a post —and many others joined in— about success with small batches. I’ve been wanting to try some ~2 gal pilot recipes so I decided to pull the trigger.

I threw together a fairly routine Red Ale just to try my BIAB legs and get an efficiency data point before I start experimenting.

OG 1.046

89.3% Maris Otter
5.2% Flaked Barley
3.8% C60
1.6% Roasted Barley

Pre-boiled tap water — no other additions to serve as a baseline.

24 IBU Willamette at 60
.45 oz East Kent Goldings at FO

4.5 g S-04

I learned a ton by doing this:

I underestimated the small batch BIAB. I got better mash efficiency from the grain bill than I thought I would.

I mashed in at 154*F but made a rookie mistake of thinking I could maintain the temp with the induction cooktop. I was all over the map. Next time I’ll use my HLT water cooler to mash in a bag and transfer the wort to the BK once complete.

I overestimated the pwr required for my post boil volume so I had to stop at 45 minutes or I would have had less in the FV at an even higher octane. As it was I overshot my estimated pre and post boil SG.

I used a no chill method where I basically shut off the flame and when I could see no visible steam I put the lid on the BK and walked away. By bedtime the wort was cool enough to pitch yeast and put in the ferment fridge.

I didn’t calibrate my ferment vessel prior to filling so I guestimated at 2 gal. I was .25 gal shy after calibration.

Now that I have a baseline small batch I can move into trying new hops, grain, and yeast as well as play with aggressive water adjustments.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:33:21 pm by BrewBama »

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #3197 on: March 04, 2021, 02:35:28 pm »
Yep, I'm doing a 3.5 gallon batch as well. Been a while since I brewed one, but not forever. The last one I made was back in July of 2020. I remember that being a great brew session, very relaxed. I'm making a breakfast stout, like Founder's Breakfast Stout. There's a very good reason why it has the name it has... I've brewed this one before and it's awesome. 4oz baker's chocolate near the end of the boil and about 12-16oz of cold brewed coffee in the keg.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Stout
Imperial Stout

Type: All Grain
 Date: 3/7/2021
Batch Size: 3.50 gal
 Brewer: Jesse
Boil Size: 4.50 gal Asst Brewer: 
Boil Time: 60 min  Equipment: Beersk Brewhaus 
Taste Rating(out of 50): 50.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes: 
Saturday Morning Breakfast Stout
Imperial Stout

Est Original Gravity: 1.081 SG
 Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.94 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 57.5 IBU Calories: 0 cal/pint
Est Color: 44.9 SRM

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 lbs 12.0 oz Golden Promise (1.8 SRM) Grain 33.71 %
3 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 33.71 %
1 lbs Blonde RoastOat (6.0 SRM) Grain 8.99 %
12.0 oz Flaked oats, toasted (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.74 %
8.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4.49 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.49 %
6.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3.37 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 57.5 IBU
8.0 oz Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 4.49 %
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Jesse

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3198 on: March 05, 2021, 07:04:37 pm »
Busy brewing weekend.
I have the grains weighed out and strike water in the Anvil programmed to be ready to mash in early in the morning for a Treehouse Julius homage.
I also have all the various berries we picked and froze this past year thawing to make at least 10 gallons of Mixed Berry Mead.
Sunday morning I will be making a lager, haven’t decided exactly what yet other than European.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3199 on: March 05, 2021, 07:30:13 pm »
Busy brewing weekend.
I have the grains weighed out and strike water in the Anvil programmed to be ready to mash in early in the morning for a Treehouse Julius homage.
I also have all the various berries we picked and froze this past year thawing to make at least 10 gallons of Mixed Berry Mead.
Sunday morning I will be making a lager, haven’t decided exactly what yet other than European.
That is a busy weekend. Enjoy!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3200 on: March 05, 2021, 07:33:03 pm »
Mark started a post —and many others joined in— about success with small batches. I’ve been wanting to try some ~2 gal pilot recipes so I decided to pull the trigger.

I threw together a fairly routine Red Ale just to try my BIAB legs and get an efficiency data point before I start experimenting.

OG 1.046

89.3% Maris Otter
5.2% Flaked Barley
3.8% C60
1.6% Roasted Barley

Pre-boiled tap water — no other additions to serve as a baseline.

24 IBU Willamette at 60
.45 oz East Kent Goldings at FO

4.5 g S-04

I learned a ton by doing this:

I underestimated the small batch BIAB. I got better mash efficiency from the grain bill than I thought I would.

I mashed in at 154*F but made a rookie mistake of thinking I could maintain the temp with the induction cooktop. I was all over the map. Next time I’ll use my HLT water cooler to mash in a bag and transfer the wort to the BK once complete.

I overestimated the pwr required for my post boil volume so I had to stop at 45 minutes or I would have had less in the FV at an even higher octane. As it was I overshot my estimated pre and post boil SG.

I used a no chill method where I basically shut off the flame and when I could see no visible steam I put the lid on the BK and walked away. By bedtime the wort was cool enough to pitch yeast and put in the ferment fridge.

I didn’t calibrate my ferment vessel prior to filling so I guestimated at 2 gal. I was .25 gal shy after calibration.

Now that I have a baseline small batch I can move into trying new hops, grain, and yeast as well as play with aggressive water adjustments.

Cheers!
When my gravity is too high I just add water to get down to a SG I want.  The IBUs are usually minimally affected.

How long did the no chill take? Was their air in the fermenter? Any worries a out oxygen?

Fire Rooster

« Reply #3201 on: March 06, 2021, 03:35:33 am »

2lbs. of invert sugar. It’s not very dark. I cooked it to 260F. Definitely honey like consistency (or thicker).

Getting ready for Whitbread IPA.

Curiosity has got the best of me.
Will plan to make invert sugar, and brew a version of Whitbread IPA.
Classico tomato sauce (Tomato & Basil) was one of my favorites, until a Dr told me to cut back on
tomatoes and potatoes because of potassium.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 03:53:48 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3202 on: March 06, 2021, 04:32:10 am »
Busy brewing weekend.
What's your hop schedule look like for your Julius?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3203 on: March 06, 2021, 05:13:21 am »
Busy brewing weekend.
What's your hop schedule look like for your Julius?
8ml Hopshot 60 min
2 oz each of mosaic and citra and 1 oz Simcoe in hop-stand
Dry hopped just after high krausen with 2.5 oz citra, 2 oz mosaic, and 1.5 oz Simcoe.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3204 on: March 06, 2021, 06:27:35 am »
Actually just realizing as I gather my hops I bought cryo Simcoe so will adjust amount accordingly.

Offline BrewBama

What's Brewing this Weekend?
« Reply #3205 on: March 06, 2021, 06:48:41 am »

When my gravity is too high I just add water to get down to a SG I want.  The IBUs are usually minimally affected.

How long did the no chill take? Was their air in the fermenter? Any worries a out oxygen?

Is your Q about picking up oxidation while it was cooling? Probably. I am not so concerned about hitting a home run with this beer as I am figuring out the small batch BIAB process. Now that I know what to expect, I can move fwd.

I just left it in the boil kettle to cool. It got to about 100*F in a few hours. At that point I was either going to bed and get it in the AM or do something to hurry things along. So I decided to put some ice cubes in a sanitized zip top bag to get it down to pitch temp. It took two iterations of ice to get to pitching temp but I’d say it was ~5 hrs total flame out to pitch. I’ll use my chiller to rapid chill it next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3206 on: March 06, 2021, 08:24:55 am »

Is your Q about picking up oxidation while it was cooling? Probably. I am not so concerned about hitting a home run with this beer as I am figuring out the small batch BIAB process. Now that I know what to expect, I can move fwd.

I just left it in the boil kettle to cool. It got to about 100*F in a few hours. At that point I was either going to bed and get it in the AM or do something to hurry things along. So I decided to put some ice cubes in a sanitized zip top bag to get it down to pitch temp. It took two iterations of ice to get to pitching temp but I’d say it was ~5 hrs total flame out to pitch. I’ll use my chiller to rapid chill it next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes. My question was were you worried about oxygen pickup. I have taken 4-5 hours before pitch many times. I expected no chill to be more like 12+ hours.

My SOP for chilling is to use my immersion chiller to 80-90F range and then put the batch into my fermentation chamber and wait until the batch reaches pitch temp then pitch. That adds 2-3 hours delay before pitching yeast but I don’t notice negative effects taste wise. But, I accept a bit more oxygen in my process, especially pre-fermentation, than many brewers here.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #3207 on: March 06, 2021, 12:17:12 pm »
Making a Mexican-style light lager. Did a cereal mash with 2 lb of corn grits (and a little barley malt), along with 2 lb. Vienna and 6 lb. pilsner malt. The hops will be Magnum (bittering) and Sterling (aroma), and I'm using White Labs' Mexican lager yeast.

I first did this recipe two years ago, using a cereal mash, but for last year I used flaked corn. Although the flaked corn version turned out OK, the cereal mash version was amazing! So, I decided to try again with a cereal mash and see if I could get equally great results this time.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3208 on: March 06, 2021, 02:37:22 pm »
Last Thur. I brewed a rye APA with Wy1728 to get a slurry built up for brewing Wee Shroomy
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3209 on: March 06, 2021, 05:51:48 pm »
Successful brew day today. My gravity and volume numbers were spot on for the Treehouse Julius inspired NEIPA, I got 10 gallons of Mixed Berry Mead in the fermenter and I  have grains weighed and Anvil set up tp heat strike water bright and early tomorrow morning for a Bo Pils.